Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bricked my D888 - any advice very gratefully received!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdole72

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Bricked my D888 - any advice very gratefully received! Reply with quote

I have managed to completely kill my D888 – have been using it with no issues for years, started getting the ‘disk busy’ message so thought formatting the HD would be a good idea – did it via my PC, which was a very stupid thing to do! Whenever I power it on now the display says ‘disk error’ and it immediately shuts down – I have tried reformatting to FAT32 as I thought that might be the issue, then dropping the D888SYS.BIN fil in the root folder – still wont work. I tried looking for the earliest version of that file online, which I did (the first update to the software) – dropped that in the root folder – still the same issue. I have run out of ideas, save trying to install a new HD – any advice much appreciated!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the D888 Menu item HDD format utility be used to reformat the drive?

sdole72

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, cant get as far as loading the on screen menu - the only thing that works is the USB PC connection to see the drive. As soon as thats removed, it says Disk Error, press OK - and then once you do that, it shuts down.
Bias

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: d888 hard drive Reply with quote

Hi

It sounds like the system wont recognise the drive so you may have to go down the new hard drive route - you could try removing the drive and deleting the partition with it connected to your PC so that it appears to be a new drive but this may be a waste of time as you were getting errors before. I have recently changed my hard drive but not because it was faulty, but because the noise was annoying me.

I would wholey recoomend doing what I have done but would add that you need to know what you are doing or get somebody that does know to do this:

I purchased a small SSD and a suitable IDE to SSD adapter. But to fit the SSD, you will need an adapter cradle or a bit of ingenuity - I had to angle the drive slightly to fit the adapter but as its solid state, it doesn't need to be in a horizontal or vertical plane.

After fitting and powering up, the D888 asks you to initialise it, because its a new disk, click ok then when finished turn off the D888 by the switch at the back. Then power on again and go to the menu and select format drive and toggle to the 'yes' option and click ok ..when that is complete, you are ready to go.

What you end up with is a more resiliant and quiet machine - yay.

The above procedure also applies if you are fitting a new HDD rather than SSD but old style IDE HDD's that are new or in good condition are hard to come by these days.

ps, the SSD I fitted is 40Gb, which is plenty for me. I don't know for sure, but my guess is the machine will only detect up to 120Gb so bear that in mind. Anybody please correct me if I am wrong.
hfitzwilliam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: d888 hard drive Reply with quote

Bias wrote:
Hi

It sounds like the system wont recognise the drive so you may have to go down the new hard drive route - you could try removing the drive and deleting the partition with it connected to your PC so that it appears to be a new drive but this may be a waste of time as you were getting errors before. I have recently changed my hard drive but not because it was faulty, but because the noise was annoying me.

I would wholey recoomend doing what I have done but would add that you need to know what you are doing or get somebody that does know to do this:

I purchased a small SSD and a suitable IDE to SSD adapter. But to fit the SSD, you will need an adapter cradle or a bit of ingenuity - I had to angle the drive slightly to fit the adapter but as its solid state, it doesn't need to be in a horizontal or vertical plane.

After fitting and powering up, the D888 asks you to initialise it, because its a new disk, click ok then when finished turn off the D888 by the switch at the back. Then power on again and go to the menu and select format drive and toggle to the 'yes' option and click ok ..when that is complete, you are ready to go.

What you end up with is a more resiliant and quiet machine - yay.

The above procedure also applies if you are fitting a new HDD rather than SSD but old style IDE HDD's that are new or in good condition are hard to come by these days.

ps, the SSD I fitted is 40Gb, which is plenty for me. I don't know for sure, but my guess is the machine will only detect up to 120Gb so bear that in mind. Anybody please correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but this sounds so great, Bias.
You confirm the D888 has worked well with SSD in the year since? What kind of expertise should I be after to carry out a job like the one you did? Would you say a computer hardware technician would do or would it be better to look for music-tech people? (I unfortunately wouldn't trust myself with the work)
Bias

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. It certainly needs to be someone who has a bit of knowledge about these things. An IT pro or experienced hobbyist should be ok to do the job. Remember the drive should be under 120Gb... and don't forget to back up your tracks if still accessible.

Mine is still working although it has frozen a couple of times (but that may happen anyway, regardless of an ssd drive) and a reboot sorts it.
Good luck
hfitzwilliam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the fast reply and precious info. I'll try and upgrade mine soon then!
Stef609

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hfitzwilliam wrote:
Thank you so much for the fast reply and precious info. I'll try and upgrade mine soon then!

Hi! Did you succeeded to upgrade the D888 with a SDD ? Any issue? Is it working without crashing?
I'm thinking to do the same if it's working fine Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Digital Recording and Mixing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: