Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy New Kronos 2 or wait for the next upgrade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
danmusician
Platinum Member


Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 810
Location: Southern PA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:
Korg is riding this Kronos pretty hard. Hopefully a new successor releases in January.


Hope springs eternal. But I wouldn’t hold my breath. I’m not expecting a new workstation any time soon.

I bought a new K2-88 last December. I hesitated slightly, because "What if?" Some folks were sure that there had to be a new one at January NAMM since it’s been so long.

In technology, I’ve discovered that you’re better off buying what exists than waiting for what might exist or even what is promised to exist in a future product.
_________________
Kronos 2 88, Kronos Classic 73, PX-5S, Kronos 2 61, Roli Seaboard Rise 49, MOTU Mach 5, Authorized Steinway, Real Guitar, MOTU 896HD, Digital Performer, Band-in-a-Box with Real Tracks, iPad Pro, Bose L1 Model II, Bose L1 Compact
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tdwctdwc
Full Member


Joined: 31 Mar 2012
Posts: 207

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current plan is to wait for the 88 version of the Kronos successor. I made the mistake of buying the K61 back in 2011 instead of the 88 version. Now everytime i want to record pianos or eps, i need to hook a casio digital piano to the kronos or use the casio as a controller for keyscape/omnisphere/etc while my k61 sits on the side watching.

I'm a simple guy, i like to have one master keyboard that does everything, but lesson learned.

That new Yamaha MODX88 is tempting and has an attractive price. I might swing for it. I don't know how long i can wait for Korg's next move honestly....
_________________
www.rabihrihana.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leonh
Full Member


Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 193
Location: Hadleigh UK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they make new Kronos and you buy current one you will be left with second best workstation in the world quite a drop 😁.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vlad_77
Senior Member


Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 380
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New? Better? Really?

Unless you have mastered everything on all 1189 pages of the Parameter Guide, you have an instrument that will keep you busy for years. Look at what the competition isn't doing: there is not a single workstation from Yamaha, Roland, or Kurzweil that can touch Kronos. Now IF I was looking to add another workstation, my wait would be for a new Kurzweil with an actual large touch screen, 21st century OS, expanded ROM and of course some of the bells and whistles like SSD and piano libraries with streaming unlooped samples like SGX-1/2. Among my gear I still use a Kurzweil PC3 and while many may laugh, I find it a supremely powerful instrument.

Back to the Kronos: Paul McCartney's keyboardist Wix just added a Kronos 2 to his main board. Wix has to cover all of the stuff that The Beatles did and he needs an instrument that can handle the demands of arguably the greatest songwriter in rock. I believe that only Kronos is capable of that.

So, Wix is making a crap ton of money as a member of band that has been with a veritable legend for 16 or so years. He could have chosen a Montage, or whatever technopop crap Roland is producing and he chose a Kronos. I'm seeing a LOT of Kronos with major acts and artists. Seems like they're happy. Smile I am just a hack but happy as Hell with the mighty Kronos.
_________________
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )


Last edited by Vlad_77 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vlad_77
Senior Member


Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 380
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
If they make new Kronos and you buy current one you will be left with second best workstation in the world quite a drop 😁.


Absolutely!!!! Smile Great observation Leon!
_________________
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 7121
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:
New? Better? Really?


Back to the Kronos: Paul McCartney's keyboardist Wix just added a Kronos 2 to his main board. Wix has to cover all of the stuff that The Beatles did and he needs an instrument that can handle the demands of arguably the greatest songwriter in rock. I believe that only Kronos is capable of that.

So, Wix is making a crap ton of money as a member of band that has been with a veritable legend for 16 or so years. He could have chosen a Montage, or whatever technopop crap Roland is producing and he chose a Kronos. I'm seeing a LOT of Kronos with major acts and artists. Seems like they're happy. Smile I am just a hack but happy as Hell with the mighty Kronos.


without a doubt, the K is a strong choice for 70's/80's rock, whatever tribute band and can hold its own with todays pop. It has that versatility.
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. Roland FA-07, MBP, UR44
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
pno15



Joined: 05 May 2018
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:
Korg is riding this Kronos pretty hard. Hopefully a new successor releases in January.


Hi, have you a link for that info ??
_________________
Try the combinator, for creating combis in few minutes It's free !

https://kronosflyby.myweb2be.com/indexcombi.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ITguy54
Junior Member


Joined: 22 Mar 2015
Posts: 62

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdwctdwc wrote:
My current plan is to wait for the 88 version of the Kronos successor. I made the mistake of buying the K61 back in 2011 instead of the 88 version. Now everytime i want to record pianos or eps, i need to hook a casio digital piano to the kronos or use the casio as a controller for keyscape/omnisphere/etc while my k61 sits on the side watching.

I'm a simple guy, i like to have one master keyboard that does everything, but lesson learned.

That new Yamaha MODX88 is tempting and has an attractive price. I might swing for it. I don't know how long i can wait for Korg's next move honestly....


Keep in mind the MODX series does NOT have aftertouch, if that’s important to you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JPROBERTLA
Senior Member


Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Posts: 467
Location: New Orleans

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on my second Kronos. I bought an early K61 because of the 88 note weighted keyboard issues, but sold it and got a Kronos 2-88 as soon as it was released. I don't recall how long I have been using them, but its at least 6-7 years. I play a lot and with different personnel configurations. I haven't found one thing that I need that the Kronos can't do. With over 200 custom sequences, any new keyboard would require substantial transition time (unless Korg addresses that in the eventual Kronos successor). So all things considered, the Kronos still has no equal and I find no other compelling reason to use anything else. It does have some weaknesses (guitar and reed instruments) but those can be overcome with a little PCG programming and FX used and polyphony in big sequences. Probably all keyboards have some weaknesses or are lacking some functionality. If the Kronos successor is like going from a Triton to the Kronos I will probably get one. If not I will stick with the Kronos indefinitely.
_________________
JP
_________________________________________
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BobTheDog
Platinum Member


Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 1480

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted in wrong thread!

Last edited by BobTheDog on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Liviou2004
Senior Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 465
Location: Fontainebleau - France

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Buy New Kronos 2 or wait for the next upgrade? Reply with quote

Hellcliff wrote:
Hi all, i want to buy New Kronos 2 73 keys, and i have been thinking, is it a right time to buy it, or wait for the next "kronos", it has been 7 years since 2011 kronos launched.

please give me your advice. thanks. Smile


It is not so easy to give you an advice on what could happens in the next months.
Some say that there will be a Kronos replacment in january.

What is sure, the vast majority of Kronos owners do love it for many reasons. So, buying one, you won't be disapointed.

But, since Kronos is near of 8 years old and there was no software upgrade for more than one year and a half, there are many chances to see a new Korg flagship appearing next. Will it be a workstation, hybrid synthesis or whatever ? Who knows !!
_________________
Kronos 2 73, Studiologic Sledge 2, Yamaha P90, Soundcraft EFX12, JBL LSR308
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 7121
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Buy New Kronos 2 or wait for the next upgrade? Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Hellcliff wrote:
Hi all, i want to buy New Kronos 2 73 keys, and i have been thinking, is it a right time to buy it, or wait for the next "kronos", it has been 7 years since 2011 kronos launched.

please give me your advice. thanks. Smile


It is not so easy to give you an advice on what could happens in the next months.
Some say that there will be a Kronos replacment in january.

What is sure, the vast majority of Kronos owners do love it for many reasons. So, buying one, you won't be disapointed.

But, since Kronos is near of 8 years old and there was no software upgrade for more than one year and a half, there are many chances to see a new Korg flagship appearing next. Will it be a workstation, hybrid synthesis or whatever ? Who knows !!


This is always a good topic to stay on top of- ' how to not be surprised by a product transition '.

Here is the issue , as I see it:

1) We are aware that our favorite keyboard is aging( 7-8 yrs). There is really nothing essentially wrong with the K. It can provide more years of musical enjoyment.

2) The price is high - $3000-$3500. Thus it viewed as a long term purchase. Private parties cannot easily sell their used K to recover their Purchase price. especially here in the US, retailers have abundant stock of refurb K's promising additional warranty. This puts the private party seller at a huge disadvantage.

3) Korg, like other MI co's do not share their product strategy. They only 'preannounce ' the new replacement if its available to ship in 6 months or less.

4) Given this possibility, and the resale purchase risk, a new buyer wants to fairly have a chance to evaluate the current aged product (like the K2) vs published spec of a newer great keyboard, that is perceived as the K2 successor.

5) While January NAMM is historically a good event window, its no longer a reliable time stamp. MI cos will ignore waiting for NAMM and announce a new product at any time. Yamaha and MODX is a good example,

6) Can this uncertainty be mitigated ? I think there are signals at retail, a new buyer can investigate. This is from a US perspective, where many dealers carry significant stock of K2's.
Korg protects their retail dealers so they don't get caught with product inventory that will not sell. Thus the term " Product transition ".
One tactic is for Korg to lower the price(lets say $500) at retail, in order to move out the aged product. This, I believe, is a signal that a new product is imminent.

7) Retailers generally get a heads up on product transition. And have more knowledge than us buyers. So we have to look at certain clues and changes at retail applying to a board like the K2.

Cool I am a Korg watcher. Many of us are. Since we have invested heavily in our K's , we are sensitive to product transition. I like to plan, plain and simple.
Korg does not help out my desire to plan. I don't expect that to change.

I think the above explains the issue and what we, as owners, should be aware of. I know this is over analytical but its how I see it Smile
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. Roland FA-07, MBP, UR44
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
guarib



Joined: 17 Sep 2017
Posts: 10
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will die before mastering every aspect of kronos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Liviou2004
Senior Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 465
Location: Fontainebleau - France

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Greg, you did a good summary !
I would add a point :

Many have waited a long for a polyphonic analog synth form Korg. The Prologue appeared. As far as I can read along the forums, many among them has been disapointed, not to speak of the tune issues they encounter.

So, we know the Kronos and its capabilities. But don't wait too much from the next unit !!! Perhaps it will be good.....perhaps !!
_________________
Kronos 2 73, Studiologic Sledge 2, Yamaha P90, Soundcraft EFX12, JBL LSR308
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 7121
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
Yes Greg, you did a good summary !
I would add a point :

Many have waited a long for a polyphonic analog synth form Korg. The Prologue appeared. As far as I can read along the forums, many among them has been disapointed, not to speak of the tune issues they encounter.

So, we know the Kronos and its capabilities. But don't wait too much from the next unit !!! Perhaps it will be good.....perhaps !!


Thank you ! I mostly stayed with the ' money ' angle and timing- whether or not to wait, which cannot be easily determined. Best we can do is look for certain signs, in order to get more lead time/knowledge.

Yes, the synth engine you refer to would be a huge addition/incentive for any possible new All - in - one w/s. But for this to happen is very speculative.

Since Korg has invested in Prologue, they want to push sales of that. I agree, its a flawed product from what I read. I avoid defect issues like a bad cold.
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. Roland FA-07, MBP, UR44
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group