Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tuning a "Noise" program in Kronos-ELO Don't Bring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Tuning a "Noise" program in Kronos-ELO Don't Bring Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to program the white noise that was used in ELO's "Don't Bring Me Down".
I'm using g(7)126 D Jetplane
I've got it pretty close except it's the same note on every key. I can pitch bend it with the pitch bend stick but I'd prefer to trigger it with the keys themselves.
Any idea on how I can make a "Noise" playable like a piano? I can't seen to find the parameter anywhere in the edit menu.
Thanks.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with an initialized AL-1 patch. Go to the mixer and turn the first two oscillators all the way down. Turn noise all the way up.

Go to filter and set it to bandpass and 24db. Set the cutoff to 40 and the resonance to 99.

That should get you started. An initialized AL-1 patch is already set up with the filter cutoff tracking the keyboard perfectly.
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lightbringer!
I'll give it a go tonight. Appreciated.
qqquartzzz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lightbringer! Worked like a charm.
robbie50

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: initialized AL-1 Reply with quote

Stupid question, but where or How can I find a initialized AL-1 patch? Question

Sorry...…. Confused

rob
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what extra Programs have been loaded, and how they've been managed by the user. In a "factory fresh" Kronos, try looking at Programs in the User DD bank (bank buttons I-D [Int-D] and U-D [User-D] pressed together). There may be some programs there listed as Init EXi Program. Or do a search for init exi. Open the editing/play screen of one of those programs and in the Common page group, Program Basic tab, it will be possible to select the Program EXi Instrument Type in the top left of the screen. Choose AL-1 Analog Synthesiser and there's your initalised AL-1 Program. The noise level setting can be found in the Mixer tab on the EXi page group.
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP already has his solution. For others, generally with "pitched noise" sounds, the filter frequency provides the "pitch". Noise has no pitch typically though it can if it's a sample of a noise that already has some pitch to it. The filter creates the pitch. More resonance means more pitched, but frequency is the pitch so key follow is your friend if you want to play it.
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LZ wrote:
Noise has no pitch typically though it can if it's a sample of a noise that already has some pitch to it.

Noise itself has no pitch in any circumstance. When you sample noise and play different notes on a keyboard, you're hearing the playback speed change by the equal temperament algorithm which is the twelfth root of two (a difference of 1:1.059463 per semitone). The difference in playback speed shifts the sound information harmonically, but that sound itself is still inharmonic. The Kronos has a noise waveform in ROM mono #0463 that you can load into HD-1, STR-1, or MOD-7.

You can introduce a fundamental with a self oscillating resonant filter as you explained. You may also use a short delay with the delay time controlled by the equal temperament algorithm. I'm simply describing a keytracked comb filter. STR-1 is the engine to use if that's what you're aiming for. STR-1 has it's own noise generator so you wouldn't need to turn to the noise sample above. But you would get the exact same phase response for every note-on event if you used the sampled noise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: