Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiplyons

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Upgrade Reply with quote

I have had a Triton Extreme 88 for a while now... I am thinking of selling it on ebay and buying the Kronos 2 88

Am I going to be blown away?

Phil
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plz tell me that you're joking.
philiplyons

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not...
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that if you understand the TE OS through and through you'll probably be blown away.
philiplyons

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you. the os looks very similar... i imagine there are quite a few combis and programs that are the same too
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade Reply with quote

philiplyons wrote:
I have had a Triton Extreme 88 for a while now... I am thinking of selling it on ebay and buying the Kronos 2 88

Am I going to be blown away?

Phil

everyone is different about a complex keyboard, so it could go either way

If you want to catch up with other K owners, there are numerous Kronos Youtubes by owners and also Korg.

That might get your interest. Of course, you could find a way to try a K2. Thats probably a better start
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from Triton extreme 88 to Kronos 88.
I was blown away as expected.
I had years of delay to learn about Kronos and see a lot of what i was missing other than just sound quality.

Some sounds are the same but my favorite Triton Combi’s were not there.
You will have better luck with programs on Kronos being able to match or simulate Triton.

If you mastered custom Combi making on Triton Extreme, then you will really love Kronos as it takes Combi’s twice as far.
If you know all the synth details behind the making of all your triton programs, you can easily recreate them in Kronos. Requires knowing how and then everything you need is there in Kronos.

Triton Arppegiator is not on Kronos but Kronos has Karma instead. And that may be a slight issue because the arp patterns do not come about the same in Kronos as they do in Triton. Maybe very simple arp patterns can be done with step sequencer of Kronos. Doing it with Karma takes a lot of learning and sifting through heaps of options and possibilites. A lot of people who only want simple arp work, get fistrated with Karma and all the complex stuff to ruakge through just to find simple arp work tools. But once you grasp Karma, you will be glad you have it.

No need Moss board type installs either, and the media mode of Kronos is called disk mode and is far beyond what Triton Extreme stored and managed.
Upgrading sounds or adding new sound sets is unlimited and as simple as sticking a USB stick up the rear end of Kronos. Seamlessly from the computer to Kronos, after a bit of formatting the media.

Also Kronos RAM and sampling seems infinite compared to a Triton extreme with maxed out RAM. And the use for samples goes beyond just the multisample world triton has. Kronos’s HD-1 synth engine makes sure of that.

I wish i still had my Triton extreme, now that i am able to use Kronos in an advanced way, but not worth it for me to buy an 88 triton and be stuck hauling around two weighted 88 synths.
So i am looking towards computer DAW, VST sounds and utility, rather than another keyboard. And that is another thing about Kronos, really outfitted with ways of working in external devices like computers or other keyboards.

Effects on Kronos are so far advanced, that being an expert at it on Triton Extreme, is still going to have you feeling like going back to first day of school at Kronos highschool.
Sure the OS way of laying it out will be familiar but the IFX routing and IFX pages go to another world of utility.

Also Bus routing, assignable controls and input & outputs, they go much farther on Kronos. Tone adjust page is a good one and then the world of AMS . All about assigning parameters and controls to work together.
Does not even get to the external device control setup in Kronos global mode.

Then Comes Karma. If you never had Karma and Triton extreme is the most advanced you know, you cannot even begin to imagine what Karma is all about. Easy to just settle for it as being a fancy arppegiator, until you decide to to customize an arp riff and it does not do it anything like what is expected of an arppegiator. And arppegios is just the tip of the iceberg for what Karma can be used for.

Audio tracks in Sequencer, 16 audio and 16 midi. The inputs for recording are up to 4 at a time and vary between 2 tsr, two SPDIF, and the USB-B port for audio in and out.

I better stop because it easily can go a thousand pages. Eventually you will get to the kronos Parameter guide, all 1,167 pages of it and more.

If you can do it, now is the time get Kronos, but don’t expect to have all Triton extreme sounds there waiting for you. There is a sound set available for Kronos, called “best of triton”. You can download it and have a full bank of triton programs.

All of the triton sounds can be there if you want, and any sound from any keyboard, but it will take work. Lucky for me, i only had two Triton extreme combi’s that i wrote songs for such that the songs would never be anywhere near the same without the combi’s on which they were composed.
So a few weeks of work on Kronos and i got my two triton combi’s recreated and further enhanced with all the extras that kronos has above triton extreme.
All my other triton songs were able to work with different programs and combi’s that were somewhat similar and easily found among kronos presets.

The drum patterns on Kronos are great but i suggest you go through Triton extreme and make a USB midi file of your select Triton Extreme drum patterns, or copy all of them to use in Kronos. No guarantee you will find all the triton beats there as presets on Kronos, but you will find a lot of really good stuff on Kronos with room and means to make your own or bring in the midi drum patterns copied from triton. Also can record the triton material as audio files to use in Kronos as samples. Pattern RPPR is in Kronos, so any triton midi patterns can be saved and brought over to kronos.

If you have any Combi’s and programs on triton extreme that you cannot part with, then you either keep Triton and add Kronos to it, or you go through triton and take notes of every program and Combi you want to recreate on Kronos. Copy every setting of parameter, timbre, fx and all.
Triton and Kronos are not compatible. They can only exchange samples and standard midi files. No chance of simply loading Triton sounds into Kronos.

With all the program parameter details, you should be able to recreate any and all of Triton Extreme on Kronos and have it do so much better on Kronos. The down side is the amount of work it takes and that is work to be done after learning how to do it all.

I never did the recreating of triton on Kronos, because i never learned it was possible nor how to do it until i had gotten rid of Triton and had Kronos for well over a year.

If i could do it over again, i would keep triton, get kronos and work triton material into kronos and then get rid of Triton.

I may still one day get my hands on a Triton Extreme and work on that, but so far, kronos has opened up a whole new world of musical tools and options, that i would always have more than enough if i never looked back into a triton Extreme again.
philiplyons

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for a great reply Smile
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you happen to be savvy at it, if you can recreate some of my favorite combi’s from Triton Extreme and let me have a copy of them for my Kronos, i would be thrilled.
Some one else tried to help me but there was a lot more to the sound than the settings details he sent to me. The LFO settings and where they were applied, was a big part of the very motion intensive combi.
I was able to find some of the same programs on Kronos but they did not have the same LFO settings as triton extreme used in the combi, and some other minor differences that i do not fully understand without a triton extreme to search through. Wink
leonh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably know but just to confirm yes Kronos is much better than Triton and similar with workload so is win win situation for you .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: