Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reverb Shimmer Effect on Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Reverb Shimmer Effect on Kronos Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has been able to create a Reverb Shimmer effect on the Kronos with onboard IFX? I have been dabbling a bit, using reverbs, a pitch shifter and delay, but I haven't found the "spacey" ambient sound I am wanting. Check out the video below for an example built on the Kronos. It sounds so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8U7sgvyhE

Would anyone know how to create something like this?

If I was to choose a Reverb (IFX1), then chain it to a Pitch shifter (IFX2), am I able to send the Pitch shifter back to the reverb (IFX1) to create a repeating ambient effect? A few websites mentioned this is a good way to create a shimmer effect.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate any input.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a play around with this a while ago, but didn't have much luck at the time. I think the missing ingredient was the feedback loop from the reverb back into the pitch shifter. Definitely something I'd be keen to explore again.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
mikelees

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I’ve also been experimenting with. Up to now I’ve been using just O Verb with a really long reverb time, high bass crossover and limited damping.

There is a trick for creating an effects loop on Kronos:
- The first effect in the loop has to be a compressor, set to a FX control bus as the input, and (this is the trick!) with the Side Chain Monitor Box ticked.
- The effects in the loop have to be chained one to the next.
- The last effect in the loop has to be routed to the output and the same FX control bus as the compressor input.
- A signal can be put into the loop by also routing it to the FX Control Bus.

My results have been somewhat mixed. An effects loop with compressor, O Verb and Pitch Shifter gets a repeating tail, but sounds a bit metallic. You have to watch the amount of gain in the loop to prevent horrendous feedback.

Would be great to know if someone has got better results!
DJ1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mikelees for your reply and help. I am still pretty new to the Kronos and trying to understand how to route effects. I tried following your directions, but I am not sure if I did it right.

I understand how to chain effects, but I am not sure what to do with "FX control bus as input" and the "last effect has to be routed to the output of the same FX control bus as the compressor input."

Wondering if you would provide step by step instructions towards creating the effects loop you explained? I know I will understand much better after being walked through.

Is it best to work in a Combi or Program for this?

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect another way to create that shimmer would be to chain a reverb into serial connected delays. Set up your IFX chain with O-Verb on the first one, with a fair amount of dampening in the lowend, letting the high-end ring. Give the O-verb a fairly long decay and predelay.

Then route that into a L/C/R Delay, set the delays of each of those to something fairly low, 100-500ms, I guess and set feedback fairly high, perhaps 50-75%. Then route that delay into another L/C/R Delay just like it. That'll keep it ringing for quite a while.

Experiment with cutting out the lowend on the delays. It might be that a modultion delay gives you better control over the shimmer.. I'm not at the Kronos now, so I can't test it, but I think that will get you fairly close.
DJ1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gunnar. I tried some of your ideas and it's starting to sound pretty good.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D11, I give a step by step instruction on how to replicate a channel using a side chain in this post: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=115615 The guide is part of my long answer, fifth post from the top.

And, turns out you will need that for what I described up above with the serial delays. You want to delay+feedback the reverb ONLY, not the actual piano sound Smile

So use one effect chain which is O-verb (at 100%) -> delays, and then another which is Piano -> Ctrl Bus 1 -> Limiter -> direct into L&R. The first is the shimmer effect and the second is just the dry piano sound. You can place another limiter with -inf gain at the end of the shimmering chain and adjust its volume using dry/wet mix.

I also tried to set up a feedback loop but that ended up quite horrible and the Kronos was making ugly digital noises I've never heard it make before. My attempt was:

IFX1 : Stereo Limiter, side chaining Fx Ctrl bus 1
Piano -> IFX2 O-Verb -> L&R and Fx Ctrl Bus 1

That being said, you get some really nice long shimmering tails by simply tweaking the O-verb itself, size at 100, time at 90-something, gain: -12 on lower band, and +5 on the higher band, for instance.
DJ1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gunnar for your post. I appreciate it. It is starting to make more sense now. I am looking forward to learning more about this.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverb Shimmer Effect on Kronos Reply with quote

DJ1 wrote:
Wondering if anyone has been able to create a Reverb Shimmer effect on the Kronos with onboard IFX? I have been dabbling a bit, using reverbs, a pitch shifter and delay, but I haven't found the "spacey" ambient sound I am wanting. Check out the video below for an example built on the Kronos. It sounds so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8U7sgvyhE

Would anyone know how to create something like this?

If I was to choose a Reverb (IFX1), then chain it to a Pitch shifter (IFX2), am I able to send the Pitch shifter back to the reverb (IFX1) to create a repeating ambient effect? A few websites mentioned this is a good way to create a shimmer effect.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate any input.

You can download and give these a try too: http://www.amitszone.com/korg-kronos-goodies/eerie-spacey-ambient-shimmer-combi-set-korg-kronos/

Change timbres as required.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
DJ1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Amit,

Nice work! Those are some great sounds. Thanks for sharing.

I like that you can change up the timbres to create lush, moving pads, pianos etc.
spottingjonah

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reverb Shimmer Effect on Kronos Reply with quote

amit wrote:
You can download and give these a try too: http://www.amitszone.com/korg-kronos-goodies/eerie-spacey-ambient-shimmer-combi-set-korg-kronos/

Change timbres as required.

Those are fantastic!! Thanks for sharing those!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: