Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dyanamically extending the K73 keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Dyanamically extending the K73 keyboard Reply with quote

I enjoy the "relative' portability of my K2-73 vs my 88, and I have managed an acceptable technique to dynamically extend the bottom end using the footswitch to octavely transpose down on the fly as sw1 momentary, but after going through the manual and controller menus I can't seem to find an elegant way to add the up transpose using the pedal jack. My only possible solution is to use some external midi device plugged into the Kronos with assigned pedal sending the midi message to tranpose up, but I really don't want to add any hardware, and feel there must be some way to get the up transpose onto another pedal.

has anyone got any brilliantly sneaky way to do this?
It's a pity there's no controller routing of sw2 to the pedal. (I know it's a variable pedal, and not a switch), but there should be a way to program in a threshold to function as a switch somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a way to do this but :

1) Even though you could use a control pedal, you will be better off using an on/off type pedal (besides the sustain) plugged in the rear "switch" input.
2) It will only work in combi mode.
3) You will need KARMA for this in the combi, so it won't be available in its normal "seq/arp" purpose.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SW1 can be used to swap octaves. It is CC#80. Can you map the Footswitch to CC#80 to turn SW1 on and off?
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
I have found a way to do this but :

1) Even though you could use a control pedal, you will be better off using an on/off type pedal (besides the sustain) plugged in the rear "switch" input.
2) It will only work in combi mode.
3) You will need KARMA for this in the combi, so it won't be available in its normal "seq/arp" purpose.

thanks kk, I'm already using the switch pedal for transpose down, which is why I need to use the remaining pedal jack. I thought of trying to alias a function the pedal does allow to config, and then assign that to transpose up elsewhere even if it's per program, as I really only the need the range for the pianos, but this method still alludes me.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmusician wrote:
SW1 can be used to swap octaves. It is CC#80. Can you map the Footswitch to CC#80 to turn SW1 on and off?

thanks Dan, but as I've mentioned, I'm already doing just that for the transpose down, I need also transpose up on the fly. I ideally need to have another pedal mapped to sw2 and set for transpose up.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned to just get by using the switches. I have my foot switch set to advance the patches in my set list.
Another way might be to just have preprogrammed patches in your set list so that every time you tap the foot switch you have your keyboard go to the correct octave.
For my, set list mode is a life saver!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremykeys wrote:
I've learned to just get by using the switches. I have my foot switch set to advance the patches in my set list.
Another way might be to just have preprogrammed patches in your set list so that every time you tap the foot switch you have your keyboard go to the correct octave.
For my, set list mode is a life saver!

thanks for the ideas Jeremy, unfortunately I don't have a spare hand for the switches, as I use both my hands on the keys, pretty much all the time, and I need to be able move back and forth on the transpose, so programming the setlist would be a problem also. It's becoming apparent that there's no practical answer for this.
ksi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have a look at Function Assign in the Global menu?

It offers to assign a CC# for Octave Up and Octave Down on any of the MIDI channels, including the global channel.

Try to assign CC#04 to Octave Up, and have the Pedal configured for CC#04.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dyanamically extending the K73 keyboard Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
I enjoy the "relative' portability of my K2-73 vs my 88, and I have managed an acceptable technique to dynamically extend the bottom end using the footswitch to octavely transpose down on the fly as sw1 momentary, but after going through the manual and controller menus I can't seem to find an elegant way to add the up transpose using the pedal jack. My only possible solution is to use some external midi device plugged into the Kronos with assigned pedal sending the midi message to tranpose up, but I really don't want to add any hardware, and feel there must be some way to get the up transpose onto another pedal.

has anyone got any brilliantly sneaky way to do this?
It's a pity there's no controller routing of sw2 to the pedal. (I know it's a variable pedal, and not a switch), but there should be a way to program in a threshold to function as a switch somehow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile

I'm afraid there's no way to do what you are lookinf for without an midi external device.

What do you think about that (very little one) :
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/midimouse.html
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you ksi and Liviou, both your suggestions got the juices flowing and I have managed to hack a working solution.
ksi...I don't know how I missed the octave up and down in the special functions, thank you.

As you pointed out, by assigning the pedal to cc4, and the octave up to cc4 in special functions, I then looped back the midi port from out to in, turned off local control and presto!.....it all works. I don't usually use the DIN midi ports these days anyway, and even though it's a bit of a hack, at least I can do it with just the Kronos when I want to play piano with the full 88 Very Happy
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
thank you ksi and Liviou, both your suggestions got the juices flowing and I have managed to hack a working solution.
ksi...I don't know how I missed the octave up and down in the special functions, thank you.

Yes but you can only attrib one way : up OR down. So that doesn't solve your problem. That's the reason why I'm suggesting you to use an external Midi footswitch : one switch for UP and the other one for Down.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes but it does solve my problem. I'm already using the switch for octave down, ie assigned to sw1, I just needed to assign the pedal for octave up!

And of course I have my sustain pedal doing it job!
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou, just to clarify, I think some of the terminology can be confusing.

Of the 3 pedal jacks on the Kronos....

Sustain - which I am using as sustain.

Pedal Switch - is my octave down, (assigned to control sw1 near the joystick) which is assigned to octave down momentary.

Pedal (Expression) which is assigned to cc4 and cc4 assigned to Octave Up
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
Liviou, just to clarify, I think some of the terminology can be confusing.

Of the 3 pedal jacks on the Kronos....

Sustain - which I am using as sustain.

Pedal Switch - is my octave down, (assigned to control sw1 near the joystick) which is assigned to octave down momentary.

Pedal (Expression) which is assigned to cc4 and cc4 assigned to Octave Up

Yes, it's more clear ! You could free your pedal expression, more useful for modulaton. That's my opinion !!
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you my friend, your suggestion is appreciated, and I will think further about using this type of external unit and how it may fit to my system. Even though i have 88 keys too, I am on a bit of a technical quest to get the widest functionality in the smallest possible rig. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: