Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weight Reduction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Weight Reduction Reply with quote

I!m trying to reduce the weight of all my gigging equipment. Age is catching up on me. I would like to keep my pa4x for home use etc. Is their a Korg keyboard, that would cover my gigging use that is lighter but have the following functions.
Mic similar to the 4x with harmony function, separate channel output for vocals. The ability to easily transfer styles etc between the keyboards. I have the Pas speakers, but could do without. When gigging, I,m only using Styles etc, and In reality, not using many of the other functions. My audience is relatively small 30 to 40 persons or so. Also any lightweight amps I could consider. Thanks Jim
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim

Regarding the keyboard - check out the weight(s) of the smaller PAs (PA700 etc...) and see if any might suit or you could look at the smaller Yamaha PSR range which mostly would have what you want - of course you lose compatibility between the models if you change brand.

If you only have a small audience you could consider a small hi-fi system with lighter speakers - I used a hi-fi system at home (an old Denon with KEF speakers) and the sound was outstanding.

All the best

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the PA1000. It's speakers are really loud. You might not even need a pa system for small jobs. It does not have separate mic out.
The LD Systems Maui 5 speakers are wonderful. More features and better sound than Bose Compact and half the price. I have two of them for a couple of years now, after replacing the Bose Compacts.
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Weight Reduction Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies.It would appear that smaller/ lighter Korgs do not have the access for the Ec5 foot switches. Additionally, as stated by Don, the mic does not have a separate channel. Both of these functions I find important. The ability to detach the Pas speaker system, is a bonus to some extent, in that the Korg weight is reduced for transportation. I expect I need to look at my amp and PA system to consider weight reduction.

Thanks again,
Jim
taichi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim

Mitzie started a post ref. Korg Konnect. It could interest you with your "travelling light" project. I have looked at it and downloaded spec. The write up from Korg looks very good at first glance.

If you do look at it can you please say what you think.

Trying to decide which way to go with new speakers, I want to get it right next time.

Dylan.
MacKenzie617

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Weight Reduction Reply with quote

Hi Dylan, Thanks for the info. I would be interested in anyone using the Konnect system, and the tie in to the 4x. I currently use a JBL Eon One as my main amp along with the PAs speakers. It works better now that I route the mic on output 1. This prevents feedback etc.on the PAs . Looking at weight with the PA4x/PAs/Eon 1/ stand/stool plus I use a Projector and Screen I must be getting close to 50kgs.
Would also be interested in any other Forum member, using a Projector? and the method they use to control the Slides

Thanks,
Jim.
Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have not already and are using the 76 key, go to the 61 key PA4 = 28 pounds. For PA I use Bose L1 Model with a ToneMatch mixer. very light weight, professional sound and PRICEY.
Old fingers
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck wrote:
If you have not already and are using the 76 key, go to the 61 key PA4 = 28 pounds. For PA I use Bose L1 Model with a ToneMatch mixer. very light weight, professional sound and PRICEY.
Hi Chuck,
just a little correction, the weight of the Pa4X 61 keys is 30.64 lbs.
pa4x_user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the Bose L1 (Model 2) and it’s a great pro sound and breaks down into manageable size. But I think it is an overkill for 30-40 people.

I have really been surprised at just how good the Korg PaaS is for groups of that size, and is still quite a full sound. And you are not fiddling with extra power and audio leads. Try and arrange a demo or hook up with someone who has one. I know many think it is expensive, but the aim is to get your weight down and reduce the amount of stuff you have to carry.

I don’t use a mic with mine - I think I recall that others have said that is an issue?

Phil
Songbook+ app for iPad
Cubase12 Pro DAW software
Dorico Elements 4.2 scoring software
Band-in-a-Box 2022
Yamaha CVP-309GP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: