Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vocoder Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanLong124

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Vocoder Question Reply with quote

I did a search and didn't come up with anything definitive, so here's my issue:

I when using the vocoder, in either patch or combi mode, I can have my mic trigger the keyboard sound.

How do you remove the mic from the mix? I don't want to hear my voice along with the sound, I want to hear just the sound that is triggered by the mic.

I've set the effect level to "wet" and still can hear myself talking thru the mix.

I'm sure this is a simple setting, but like many things Kronos, it's probably buried in another function of the keyboard.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot recall well and do not have my kronos to jog my memory.

It is in the bus setup of audio page. Where mic is coming. You need only the FX control bus routed and then you can turn the L/R line bus off.

Audio page for setting up the Mic to input, you have “Bus Select” and then you have “FX control bus” setting used to set up vocoder.
Bus select is routing your mic sound to output selected, L/R, FX or Individual outs.
FX control bus routes your sound to FX control matrix. It sends the signal only along paths used to control FX such as in Vocoder using mic signal to modulate the vocoder FX which is routed to a program tha gets vocoded.

You only need the “FX control bus” set up, to get mic signal to modulate Vocoder. The “Bus Select” can be off and that stops your voice from coming through main outputs L/R or individual outs.

These two links are part 1 & 2 of the same in depth vocoder tutorial. They focus on a lot of details but not so much the audio page setup where you likely have your mic set to bus out L/R, making your voice heard.

https://youtu.be/8dQDUtKXrYA

https://youtu.be/argpzp4uCxo
DanLong124

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the audio set up that way, but still hear the mic along with the vocoded signal.

the vids dont' really give you a how to on the setup, just what vocoding is and then the 2nd is using a drum track to modulate.

I'll keep searching and playing around with it. There has to be a way to eliminate the mic from the output.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure Modulator High Mix in the vocoder is set to 0.
DanLong124

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it. Somewhere I had read that you want the mic input routed to IFX1. I saw another video where someone was going thru their setup and they had this set to Off. I tried that and there you go, no more mic coming thru with the vocoded signal. I even set up my live speakers just to make sure (in case I was getting the sound of my voice in my head with the headphones on).
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanLong124 wrote:
I got it. Somewhere I had read that you want the mic input routed to IFX1. I saw another video where someone was going thru their setup and they had this set to Off. I tried that and there you go, no more mic coming thru with the vocoded signal. I even set up my live speakers just to make sure (in case I was getting the sound of my voice in my head with the headphones on).

That’s it. The “Bus Select” is mic input bus. When that is off, no input sound can get to any of the outputs.
Only the FX control bus is needed to be set to one of the active options 1 or 2 and then that option gets selected in the vocoder FX page, to get the mic sound into the FX.

I would still try the “Modulator high mix settings” that CharlesFerraro mentioned, just to find out exactly what the settings do there. But i don’t have kronos with me..
Set to zero and then set to other settings above zero (and below zero if it does that).
If you learn what it does, it won’t be able to covertly throw a wrench in the workflow gears some unexpected day ahead.
DanLong124

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that modulator parameter introduces more of the straight sound into the mix it seems.

There are a couple cool presets to check out in there as well.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanLong124 wrote:
that modulator parameter introduces more of the straight sound into the mix it seems.

There are a couple cool presets to check out in there as well.

Thanks for the info. I will check that out when i get back to Kronos next month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: