Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stereo Dyna Compressor vs Stereo Compressor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Stereo Dyna Compressor vs Stereo Compressor Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the difference between these two effects 001 and 002.
Charles Ferraro has done two video about these effects, but to be honnest I don't undestand what the first one (Stereo Dyna Compressor) does, that the second one (Stereo Compressor) wouldn't ?

It seems to me that the 002 Stereo Compressor has all the settings we could expect. It is more complete.

Is the 001 Stereo Dyna Compressor a simplified 002 Stereo Compressor ?

So if someone could explain this, it'd be nice.

Thanks.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I'd like to point out is that both of those units are descended from other Korg digital recorders, workstations/synths, and stand-alone effects (as are almost all of the FX in the Kronos). In MDE-X they are abbreviated "DNC1" for the stereo dynamic compressor and "CP1" for the more full featured stereo compressor so I prefer to call them by those names.

An obvious difference between those two would be the added latency that each put into your signal chain. CP1 will add a negligible 0.1 milliseconds when lookahead is off, but a whopping 7.6ms when turned on. If you were to chain a bunch of CP1's in a row all with lookahead on, you could introduce quite a bit of latency between a note-on event and actually hearing the sound.

DNC1 on the other hand introduces 0.6ms of latency. It's worth pointing out that the Red Compressor, along with the normal and multiband limiters, don't introduce any latency at all which make them great candidates for parallel processing.
I added some personal notes in the descriptions of the DNC1 and CP1 videos that might be helpful when it comes to the latency times and parallel processing.

DNC1 has a Pre EQ while CP1 has a sidechain multimode filter. Other than that it seems that CP1, being very versatile, can approximate the full range of DNC1's controls. As long as you have it set to Peak mode with lookahead off.

CP1 can even approximate the settings of each single-band limiter and the Red Compressor (other than being in stereo).
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Charles, you've taught me things I ignored.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: