Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MiniKP2S to Compliment KP3? Mixer Recommended?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael221

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: MiniKP2S to Compliment KP3? Mixer Recommended? Reply with quote

So long story short, the mic input for my KP3+ doesn't work anymore. But everything else works fine.

Do you think I should get a Kaoss Pad Mini 2s to connect to the KP3, in order to be able to use a mic again?

My main goal is to be able to manipulate my voice in the KP3. So I figure if I have the mini, I can speak directly into that...and then send my voice into the KP3 where I can manipulate it. Then I could still do what I want, even if the mic input to the KP3 doesn't work anymore.

Follow up question, I'm also looking into getting a mixer.

Right now my set up is an MPC Live with the KP3, no mixer.

If I got a mixer, do you think I could connect my MPC Live, KP3, and the Mini to it, and then have ultimate control with where my voice goes and where the sound goes?

My thought is that I would connect my mic to the mixer, and then from the mixer send my voice to the Kp3...and then, have layered effects, as I sent my modulated voice back and forth between the Mini and KP3, as they would be connected to each other.

Then, maybe send all of that to the MPC, via the mixer, where I could hammer out a dope beat to compliment whatever I create with the Kp3/Mini set up.

Does this set-up even sound possible/make sense in your opinion?

If it does, here is the mixer I was thinking of getting:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-1002B-BEHRINGER-XENYX/dp/B0027B41P0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1535934815&sr=8-8&keywords=audio+mixer

But not sure if that mixer would work for what I want to do.

But yeah, super appreciate any thoughts you all have!

~Michael
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mic preamps in the Xenyx would be able to bring a microphone input up to line level on the output. It seems a bit overkill to just do that, but would do the job.

Is the KP3 mic input beyond repair?
Michael221

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotchya!

Hmm I haven't thought about trying to repair the mic input on the KP3. Basically, the entire piece of plastic of the KP3 that the mic jack slides into needs to be replaced.

(The KP3 fell to the ground, mic was plugged in, landed mic jack first. The mic jack broke, and the tip of the mic jack got wedged deep into the KP3 mic input. The only way to get it out was to unscrew the bottom plate of the KP3, undo one of the chip mainframe circuits so I could reach the back of the mic input, get a screwdriver, pop the plastic off the back of the mic input, and un-wedge the broken mic jack tip with a screw driver. In doing so, I broke some plastic. Because that plastic is broke, my new mic jack doesn't plug into place in the KP3 properly.)

How much do you think this would cost to repair, and where would I go? Send it to Korg? Go to a music store like B&H Electronics or Guitar Center?
Michael221

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s.

I found this list of dealers in NYC which sells Korg products including B&H and Guitar Center. So I'm assuming they could maybe fix the mic input?

https://www.korgusa.com/Dealers/default.aspx?brand=korg
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(copy of a Pm)

Hi Michael,

Sorry for taking so long to get back.
Hope this is not too late.

1. I personally didn't like using the built in mic on the KP 2 mini coz while holding the pad I got condensation from my breath onto the pad which started false triggers of the vocoder effect. Also my Kaossilator 2 mic stopped working when my 6y old used it.again maybe condensation.
The 2 mini KP does have a great vocoder though. Superior to Kp3.
Although If you use the 4 sample banks on your KP3 to build tracks you could consider another KP3 given the funds. Both machines are good.
2. Yes mixers are good. That mixer is good. You could use fx send and monitor out to supply mic or KP signals, then plug the main out to your mpc and sample the whole shebang.
You would then monitor to your speakers or comp via the mpc output.
The only draw back is no output of mpc into kps. Not too bad.
Your mixer has inserts on each channel which could be great for the KP 2s. Just buy a stereo mini split into two mono minis and try them into the KP in and out.
It would be mono so not sure how well this would work out but worth investigating coz would be awesome if it did. Just insert stereo jack to any channel for mini2s processing. This would then free up a send for your mpc and you could route it to its own channel. Flexibility for all machines.

Good luck. Feel free to get back and keep us posted how you do.

Elwyn
Michael221

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Elwyn!!

Super helpful. But just wanted to double check.

Can I build the beat in my MPC, send it to the mixer, and then from there, send it to the KP3 where I can manipulate the beat...AND,

At the same time, have a mic plugged into the mixer, sing into it, then send my voice to the KP3 as well?

That way, I have the beat sampled on one bank of the KP3 where I can scrub it, then my voice sampled on another bank of the Kp3 where I can manipulate it too.

Initially, I was able to speak directly into the KP3...but now that the mic function doesn't work, I thought using the mixer to send my voice to the Kp3 would be a good work-around.

But yeah, basically, I want to manipulate my voice and the rap beat while playing live.

Thanks again!
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it will totally solve your broken mic socket problem.
But with that mixer you may have to juggle a bit as it only has two fx sends -the fx and the monitor out send which can double as a 2nd fx send.
You may have to leave your KP mini 2s from the equation initially. Well just have it in series with your KP3... i.e. If you have the right wires you could place the mini after the monitor out send, then connect the mini2s output into the Kp3 so all signals are passed through the mini before reaching the Kp3.(Two Kaoss pads in series are a blast anyway).
This way mic and mpc could both travel to KP for mods and vocoders, then later return the Kp3 jam out to the mpc or straight out the main outs or Tape outs of the mixer.

There is also the channel inserts to mini 2s idea mentioned above but I'm unsure of the wire compatability into the 2s. (stereo mini split to dual mono minis). Not sure how the 2s would deal with this and stereo fx would be mono and compromised or phase cancelled.
So on reflection the two KPs in series from monitor out, with mpc from fx out seems best to connect from the mixer sends.
Michael221

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great info. Thank you so much for taking the time Elwyn! Very Happy
Michael221

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update!

So I found a music store in NYC that fixes Korg products. They were luckily able to replace the mic jack, so the KP3 is good as new and can be used as intended.

My set up right now is having the sound from my MPC Live run directly into the KP3, no mixer. I have to use a 1/4 inch to RCA cable to make this work. But yeah, it's been a blast to improvise beats on the MPC, and then scrub those beats along with my voice on the KP3.

Just scratching the surface of possibility right now, but looking forward to journey.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Very Happy
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey michael, I also have a mic input on my kp3 that needs repair, and I too live in NYC. Was it a decent price to fix?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: