Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In ear monitors through headphone jack

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badplaya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: In ear monitors through headphone jack Reply with quote

Has anyone used in ear monitors through the headphone out jack? If so have you had any sound quality issues? I've tried using my Shure se215 monitors which sound awesome plugged in to other devices, but plugged into the keyboard they sound very airy. It's particularly difficult to hear ep's or a click track. So im just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue. Shure has no record of a problem with korg products. And of course my headphones sound great through the same port. Thank you for any feedback!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is normal to have sound quality change from speaker to headphones and even from one set of speakers to another.

I have a set of monitors and a set of full size headphones.
I have to use Set list mode EQ to set an EQ configuration for each of my sound system options.
So i have an EQ setup i use for my headphones and another i use for my KRK 5inch monitors.

If i buy another set of monitors and speakers, of a different model, i will expect to need another EQ setup for those. Same needed with another set of headphones.

The only other option is to buy your speakers, monitors and headphones or ear monitors, based on what they sound like on your rig when it is at a flat sound setting. By headphones or ear monitures that match what your speakers put out.

Kronos is not going to have the same sound qualities on every ear monitor or speaker or headphones.

Good thing is that Kronos has the flexibility in Set list mode EQ, to store various EQ settings for various speakers and various venues where the room reshapes the sound after it leaves the speakers.
Yes, even taking the same open air speakers to another location can make them sound different.
Even moving the furniture around in my room, changed the sound of the room and left we wondering for a second if i had accidentally changed my kronos EQ settings.

I never really noticed this until i started using Kronos. Long hours playing in the space of its sounds, does a lot to condition my ears to what it is supposed to sound like. Then the slightest changes to the sound, via new sound systems, are more noticeable to ears that have had a particular sound quality drilled into it over and over.

I never realized how bad my headphones were until i got my 5inch monitors.
And i probably won’t realize how bad my 5 inch monitors are until i move onto something better for kronos.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shure product line up for the SE215 appears to have several variants. Do these earphones have a 4-terminal plug, and are they compatible with smartphone use? What sort of adapter is being used between the Kronos 1/4" jack and the earphones? A standard 1/4" to 1/8" stereo adapter won't make the correct connections between smartphone-compatible versions of these earphones and the Kronos.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about impedance.
Badplaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys thank you for the replys! I am using an inexpensive adapter which I tested with my phones and the sound characteristics of each were the same. I feel better though just knowing that they should work fine once eq'd for a show... They are btw the ones with the cable for use with a phone etc... should. I get a different cable? I'm considering going wireless anyway since I do have some guitar duties and have to move around.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartphone connectors will be TRRS (tip, ring, ring, sleeve) and probably conform to one of the TRRS plug standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_%28audio%29

The CTIA standard designates the plug tip connection as left audio, ring 1 as right audio, ring 2 as ground and sleeve as microphone. When plugged into a 1/4" jack to 1/8" stereo adapter, the tip and ring 1 connections might well be OK, but the signal return will probably be via the microphone circuitry, instead of ground, leading to distortion and poor frequency response.

If these in-earphones have detachable leads then getting a different lead, with a TRS plug, should solve the problem.
Badplaya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thank you everyone!
Badplaya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a final update! I bought the regular Shure cable without the inline mic and volume switch. The in ears now sound perfect and awesome as they should!!! Every sound is now loud and clear and correct, no more low volumes or airiness. So thank you guys!! Problem solved!!!
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badplaya wrote:
Just a final update! I bought the regular Shure cable without the inline mic and volume switch. The in ears now sound perfect and awesome as they should!!! Every sound is now loud and clear and correct, no more low volumes or airiness. So thank you guys!! Problem solved!!!

Might I also recommend an extension cable (standard stereo). This will somewhat help protect your Shure cable from damage and give you a little added extra length.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. It's always good to know the outcome, and +1 to an extension cable, to give more freedom of movement.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's an older thread, but I purchased this for wired in-ear monitors using the headphone jack and it works and sounds great.
https://reverb.com/item/1394145-elite-core-prohex-core-10-10-pro-headphone-extension-cable-with-remote-volume-control-beltpack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: