Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moog One
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a quick side note, the Behringer D sounds really good! I haven't spent much time with my newly acquired Slim Phatty, but to me the Boog sounds better. Too bad it doesn't have presets, otherwise I'd gig with it instead of the Phatty.

And although they both use Curtis filters, the old Oberheim Matrix 1000 has slightly more of that vintage sound than the Rev2 because, well because it is vintage since it comes from that era, and its presets were what popular at the time. But the Rev2 is bi-timbral, has a nice keybed, and its knob per function layout is intuitive and fun. Too bad the Curtis filters on it have no bottom end. In split mode, layering the Rev2's bass duties with a Minitaur was a decent workaround, and I'm only begrudgingly returning the Rev2.

So case in point again, its sound that is a determining factor. If it were just about premium brand name, I wouldn't be talking up Behringer and Alesis over Access and DSI.

I'm fortunate to have the means to pre-order the One. But I will admit that over half of it is on my Sweetwater card that is interest free for 2 years. I'm currently working as an hourly contractor, and I've been putting in enough overtime that I can save up over the next few months to pay off the other half of the cost that is on my Mastercard.

I'm not totally happy about the One already. It's too damn big. Which means it won't be gigged out except for special occasions. Which means I still need a 2nd tier MIDI controller to replace my dying X-station, which the Rev2 was supposed to do. I'm hoping the Arturia KeyLab 61 will fit the bill, esp with its tight integration with Analog Lab.

In which case, the One will be more for stay at home fun while the Arturia will be the lightweight contender at the shows.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311: I should also add that I'm not saying that the only people that buy the Moog One are doing it for the badge. I'm sure that there's a niche for whom it's a cost-effective purchase to do something very specific, and by your reports you seem to be one of them.

But I'll also observe that it costs more than everything in my entire home studio put together, including keyboard stands and cables. I've actually stopped looking for synths. The only synths on my maybe shopping list are the Behringer semimodulars, and even those are only maybes. You say the D sounds good, and I've heard lots of positive things about the Neutron as well. Anything else I buy would be for workflow purposes.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt there are some who buy for prestige or the name brand, and likewise avoid certain brands because of some imagined stigma.

I think it's excessive to spend $3k on a monophonic synth when the owner can barely play a scale and demos sound effects more than musical phrases. I have no desire to have a Matrixbrute, a Voyager or Sub37. The only monos I was interested in and bought were the Minitaur a year ago, and the Slim Phatty and Boog D in the last couple months.

If we fast forward to the end of next summer, there will probably be a portable, bi-timbral Behringer UB-Xa under $2k that gets *that* sound. If that were available today I would not have even considered the One.
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.moogmusic.com/media/moog-one-meditation-listening

A little odd
RKfan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://soundcloud.com/moogmusicinc/sets/moog-one

And sounds!
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked On Sonics wrote:
Daniel Fisher from Sweetwater will be LIVE STREAMING a tell all along with taking questions in real time next Monday OCT 8.

Any update on that?
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, the sounds are absolutely STUNNING!!! Congratulation MoogMusic, this instrument is a breathtaking experience!!! Looking forward to 12:30EST today to see and feel the Full Power of the FORCE!!!

https://soundcloud.com/moogmusicinc/sets/moog-one
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
drb32856

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
As a quick side note, the Behringer D sounds really good! I haven't spent much time with my newly acquired Slim Phatty, but to me the Boog sounds better. Too bad it doesn't have presets, otherwise I'd gig with it instead of the Phatty.

And although they both use Curtis filters, the old Oberheim Matrix 1000 has slightly more of that vintage sound than the Rev2 because, well because it is vintage since it comes from that era, and its presets were what popular at the time. But the Rev2 is bi-timbral, has a nice keybed, and its knob per function layout is intuitive and fun. Too bad the Curtis filters on it have no bottom end. In split mode, layering the Rev2's bass duties with a Minitaur was a decent workaround, and I'm only begrudgingly returning the Rev2.

So case in point again, its sound that is a determining factor. If it were just about premium brand name, I wouldn't be talking up Behringer and Alesis over Access and DSI.

I'm fortunate to have the means to pre-order the One. But I will admit that over half of it is on my Sweetwater card that is interest free for 2 years. I'm currently working as an hourly contractor, and I've been putting in enough overtime that I can save up over the next few months to pay off the other half of the cost that is on my Mastercard.

I'm not totally happy about the One already. It's too damn big. Which means it won't be gigged out except for special occasions. Which means I still need a 2nd tier MIDI controller to replace my dying X-station, which the Rev2 was supposed to do. I'm hoping the Arturia KeyLab 61 will fit the bill, esp with its tight integration with Analog Lab.

In which case, the One will be more for stay at home fun while the Arturia will be the lightweight contender at the shows.

Congratulations on your new synth purchase. I do think that the Moog 1 is a gorgeous looking instrument and one that I can spend time dreaming of owning for awhile. However once I allow myself to push the cloud from my brain, I realized some things pretty quickly. As you stated "it's to damn big". I'm at the age now where my back dictates what I can use on gigs and my K61 in the case is about max for me. So if I wouldn't gig the Moog every time, I don't believe I can justify the cost..

Also my wife indulges my gear last without much push back as long as I gig with it, or it solves a problem I'm having with one of my current boards. I can't see (at this time) that the Moog 1 would solve any issue I'm having. My band plays a mix of stuff from the 50's through today. 90% of what we do can be covered by the Kronos. And surprisingly my Alesis Ion does a pretty good job with Parliament type stuff as well as Prince and M. Jackson.

I'm considering a Moog Sub 37 as I worry that the Ion may not last and I want to retire it while it's still in good condition. I have noticed a decrease in sound output from it and know that was an issue for the type. The Moog One would be overkill. Anyway I hope you get lots of enjoyment from your new Moog. Let us know how it handles after you do the hands on with it..
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RKfan wrote:

A little odd

Well, that link was a fail!! Has the site been brought down by sheer volume of traffic?

Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the sweetwater live presemtation..

This instrument does exactly what people hoped for..
And then some more..
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
RKfan wrote:

A little odd

Well, that link was a fail!! Has the site been brought down by sheer volume of traffic?

Link to video with similar name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdhzVFZlKsM

A little odd, indeed.

If those are the sounds of the Moog One Poly, then it's just a little underwhelming.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the live stream event at the moment about lfo , knob twisting.
Reading the chat about the price was like wow I may only look at it
or lease in some near future.

Chat was all about the price and not able to put money down for it I mean 6 to 8K wow I'm not earning enough for that nor a down payment.

Until the guy doing the demo played a patch he made last night and it went
from cant pay to wow ,ooohs , aaah, awesome. I mean that patch was pure orgasm and they stopped the live stream.

Live stream the whole week through though so no worry they will demo it extensively.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_SamDoogie wrote:

Until the guy doing the demo played a patch he made last night and it went
from cant pay to wow ,ooohs , aaah, awesome. I mean that patch was pure orgasm and they stopped the live stream.

Amos's demo was cool and your right, when he hit that patch at the end of the demo, Stadiums Feel. This instrument is truly a sound creation/designing game changer. Now i realize why Dan said he will grow older with this instrument and called it his Stradivarius.

The 4pm EST was also really good, much more fuller and included an effects overview.
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
RKfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off to New York and Princeton next week - hoping to pop into Sweetwater somewhere - they e-mailed me saying they should have stock.

Got to have a look and listen - just need to convince my boss that he needs to come too (he can look at guitars).

Some of the sound demos are really great - and the streams kept me up late.
RKfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also heard a whisper that Sound on Sound will have a review in the next issue...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: