Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

variations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mazydazydinah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: variations Reply with quote

hi, is there a way to link variations with the keyboard sets so when i move up the variations it moves the keyboard set along as well.

I am really happy with the pa4x, but the only thing I miss is the registrations on the Tyros 5, because I could move up and down them with my foot pedal. other than that, this beats it hands down.

Marion
Mitzie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't two pedals be used to go up and down registrations?
mazydazydinah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: variations Reply with quote

Hi Mitzie, It won't even save how the song is set up. I set it all up and put it into song book, when I play it, it has moved onto another keyboard set, so still trying to sort this out. I think this is why I miss the registration system, it saved absolutely everything that was set up. So you could make eight entries per song and just pedal your way through them. but can't have everything can you on one machine.

Marion
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can "link" your VAR to its corresponding STS (Keyboard-set) by pressing "Style to KBD SET" button so that it "blinks" - see page 55 in the manual.
You can use a pedal to perform similar functions - see page 827.

Also, please learn SONGBOOK as this can also help - SONGBOOK is your "registration database"

Cheers

pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
mazydazydinah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: variations Reply with quote

Thanks Pete, forgot about the "blinking" light. lol. I am in song book, I think the best way for me to go is to set up each section of song and number it one,two ect. make a new folder named after the song book then put them in, and I can just open song book, and I only have to press once to get to the next section.. Does this sound like a plan, or a load of rubbish !!!

Marion
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marion

Sounds OK but would really need to know exactly what you are wanting to achieve..

Seems like you are getting it together with the beast very nicely.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
Tom04

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marion,
please have a look at the „set list“ function on the pa4x. It can be used nearly in the same way as the tyros registrations. You can save a songbook entry for evry songpart of your title. Then group the songbookentries into a set list (page 130 ) , tap on the set list button and you have the functionality of 12 !! (Memory-) Buttons ( Tyros has only 8, Genos 10). Using an EC5 footcontroller you can assign „Set list prev“ and „Set list next“ ( Page 829 ) to it , thats want you wanted.
Regards
Gerd
mazydazydinah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: variations Reply with quote

Thanks Gerd, that's the way I am going.and it seems to be o.k. Will have to look at the foot pedal and see if I can understand it. I get a bit lost when it comes to plugging things in the back. ha ha

Marion Rolling Eyes
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Setlist primary made for songselection Reply with quote

Tom04 wrote:
.. „set list“ function on the pa4x. It can be used nearly in the same way as the tyros registrations ...

Songbook-entries primary save all settings (background and realtime) for a song and such settings can be summarized in a setlist in order to play songs in any order within it. But you can not use Setlist function in nearly the same way as Memory registrations in Tyros/PSR.

The setlist function of the Pa4x is not as usable and flexible as Tyros memory registrations for songs, because lacks of lock parameters for background-settings and background-sounds, as PSR- and Tyros do with its "Freeze"-functions.

"Freeze" allow all background settings and background sounds to be "freezed" for a song, also if registrations for realtime-tracks are changed with memory buttons. The setlist function unfortunately does not allow "freeze" (or "lock") of the background sounds, so that every time you switch to one of the 12-setlist buttons all background settings and background sounds are changed. This automatically reloads the background resources and changes them accordingly, so you seldom get a soft transisions of background settings.

It even is not possible to use the current style element for the next songbook entry, because the lock of style element has no effect on the styles automatically selected when choosing a SongBook Entry. In this case, the Style Element memorized in the SongBook Entry is always selected. You can find this in Manual of Pa4x page 850 - Global > General Controls > Lock > Style(Style element.

If you need 12 registrations for a song, you better use the Autoselect-KbdSet function or adapts a footcontroller to dial kbdsets via the control channel.

---> Setlist with / without StyleChange: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=115976&view=next

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marion

You are doing well
Do you have the Korg EC5 pedal? - it's an absolute "must" IMHO and so useful (just a thought).

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
mazydazydinah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: variations Reply with quote

Hi Pete, you have read my mind, the pedal is just what I am looking at now. before I buy it I was trying to find out if I can open a song book list and pedal through it, if I can then thats it a pedal will be mine lol.

Really enjoying this Korg, it's just great to be able to change all the settings so easily, and the sounds are really great and modern. I have even managed to make some pads, not good enough for the Forum yet, but as I understand more they will get better I am sure.

Marion Very Happy
romney_yw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, all the various settings are stored in the songbook entries, and the setlist is a simple index of songbook entries in the order you want to play them. You can add a song to more than one setlist, and I think you can add the same song more than once to any given setlist if you need to.....

The setlist provides next/previous song functions, and you can program the assignable pedal for these functions. Unfortunately there is only one assignable pedal input (on my PA700 at least!), so you can use a pedal to go "up" the setlist, but if you need to come "down" again, you'll probably have to do that manually from the setlist screen..... You seem to be able to do so many things with the assignable pedal that it's a little frustrating that I've only got one of them.....(and maybe I need some more feet as well?)

You don't HAVE to use the Korg EC5 pedal for this. I'm using an old Technics pedal which works well with my PA700, and I have a couple of cheap generic pedals (originally from Maplin in the UK - RIP😭) which also work.

Hope this is helpful,
Best wishes, Romney
mazydazydinah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: foot pedals Reply with quote

Hi Romny, On the pa4x it has two asignable inlets on the back, one for sustain/damper and one other. , unfortunately I don't have a pedal to have a try with.and no Maplins to go to now like you say. What sort is your old technics I might be able to pick one up on e.bay to have a play around with. It's not that I mind spending the money on the EC5 but if it won't pedal through the set lists it will be a waste.
I only play at home, so it's not like setting it up for a gig. It's no problem manually starting and stopping, it's just when the song has been split into say three parts to get the different variations, and you have to quickly!!!! reach across to press the next part. thats when the foot pedal would be really useful.

Marion
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marion

Firstly, the EC5 will step through styles, variations, keyboard-sets etc.. plus many other things - your choice!!!
It is worth its weight in gold IMHO

You can see all the possibilities in the table on page 836 in the latest manual

Go get one!!!!!

Pete Very Happy
romney_yw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PA700 also has two pedal inputs as you describe, but only one of them is "assignable". The Damper is just that - it provides damper/sustain and nothing else...

My Technics pedal is an SZ-P1 foot switch, left over from a previous keyboard I used to own. There's been a couple advertised on eBay recently, but they're quite expensive (£25) as they are apparently regarded as 'rare' - unless the vendor is just trying to make sure they get a good price!!

I've also got a couple of cheap pedals bought recently off eBay for about £5. I've just tried one of these in place of the Technics pedal, and it works just fine as I expected. Search for something like 'universal foot sustain pedal controller'. These are very similar to the Korg PS-3 pedal switch....

These pedals all have a mono 1/4" jack plug which fits either the damper or assignable pedal sockets on my PA700 (similar to those on the back of your PA4X).

However, researching the Korg EC-5 in more detail, I discover that it is a 5 pedal unit that connects to a special connector which is available on the PA4X, but sadly not on my PA700. As far as I can tell, the pedals on this unit are individually programmable and allow you to do 5x what I can do with my one simple pedal.

So my apologies, maybe you DO want an EC-5 after all! I'd certainly be considering one, if my humble PA700 had the necessary socket to connect it to. I guess that's one reason why the PA4X is rather more expensive than the PA700......😵

Best wishes and happy pedalling.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: