Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos Sampler vs Ensoniq ASR-10?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Korg Kronos Sampler vs Ensoniq ASR-10? Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with these two to compare them and their sampling capabilities?

I've been looking at getting an ASR-10 to create sounds and work on samples but I'm also curious if the Kronos is going to make the ASR-10 irrelevant. The ASR-10 is infamous for is effects, warm sound, and synth modulating abilities that make it unique to its own but I've never heard anyone compare it to the Kronos.

Matter of fact I don't ever remember anyone ever praising the Triton as a sampling Keyboard but it was quite a masterful one.

anyone have any experience to chime in?
LivePsy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is a pig of a sampling machine. Dealing with samples is far too complicated and then the HD-1 engine lacks basic envelope functions. That completely unnecessary breakpoint and slope when you just want ADSR or AHD for drums. And fairly weak filter. You just can't quickly get at a parameter. Personally, I'd suggest a hardware MPC. It does sampling quickly and creatively. Plus it provides pattern mode.

But having loved an ASR-10 back in the day, its a fine sampler and more fun to use than the Kronos. It is getting on though and storage options are getting scarce.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had an ASR-10 but had the EPS 16 plus back in the day. Really simple to use compared to the Kronos.

Completely agree I have used the Kronos for sampling when I first got it but there is so much to remember that I just quit using it for sampling for the most part.

I really like the old Ensoniq boards and had an VFX for a long time when traveling in my younger days.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the original EPS back in the day, expanded memory and the optional 8 audio outputs. (In fact, it's still in my basement. The floppy drive doesn't work anymore.) If you know sampling on an Ensoniq machine, the Kronos will be pretty confusing. I have 2 sample instruments that I created on the Kronos. It was a pain in the neck. For a modern instrument with a touch screen display, it should be a much simpler and more intuitive process.
pete.m

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be fine with the Kronos, especially if you liked the Triton's sampling. It can seem complex, but it becomes second nature soon enough. It's a very powerful sampler, and so you would expect it to have some complexity to it. But you don't have to use every last feature on it, if you find it all too much.

I can see where some of the other comments are coming from, because you do tend to get used to what was maybe your first-ever sampler. For example, my first was one of the Yamaha A-series - extremely versatile and, to me, dead easy to use. Because it was different to other samplers, however - particularly the Akais that most people used at the time - it was slagged off as being difficult to use. Having become so comfortable using it, it was inevitable that I should find the MPCs to be so limited and inflexible when I finally bought one a little later. It was a good day when I got rid of my MPC2500. Then I tried an Elektron Octatrack, having been sucked in by a review praising its workflow. What an overpriced joke that thing was...

I did briefly go back to a Yamaha afterwards, but it's never the same going back. The Kronos is way better, IMHO.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just few word about Kronos : If you are looking for a "ready-to-use" machine, a kind of McDO musical instrument, for sure, don't go for a Kronos.
But, please, don't listen to all those who are speaking of a so-called weaknes of filters and so on. Of course it is absolutely false.

All depands on what you are looking for : quality or immediacy ?

Inside the Kronos, sound quality gets a price to pay : it is Time.
If you want "All, Right Away", buy another unit !

But trust me and many of those who come here : Kronos worth the time we spend on it, even for sample unit.

Last edited by Liviou2004 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is an excellent sampler on top of still being the best synth available on the market.

I have quickly developed a procedure of my own and it is very easy to sample complete instruments with the Kronos. IMHO people complaining about the sampling aspects of the Kronos simply don't understand how it works. I also had an Ensoniq sampler in the past and the Kronos can do so much better.
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with Kronos sampler I find it easy and yes I had samplers before only problem I find with Kronos is that it prevents me from buying another Keyboard because is nothing there better Very Happy
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
The Kronos is an excellent sampler on top of still being the best synth available on the market.

I have quickly developed a procedure of my own and it is very easy to sample complete instruments with the Kronos. IMHO people complaining about the sampling aspects of the Kronos simply don't understand how it works. I also had an Ensoniq sampler in the past and the Kronos can do so much better.

I don't think people are questioning which one is better that is obvious but ease of use in sampling. I personally understand the sampling process but it's alot of steps but no biggie as I don't use it for sampling very much.

Just curious how many keyboards have sampling capabilities now in 2018 other than the Kronos?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:

I agree. I still have my Yamaha A5000 and E-MU E4K (along with a couple others). I wouldn't dream of working with them, after Kronos. I love working with waveforms on that big screen.

As you said, getting a procedure down, helps. Personally, I Cut all the Index parts to one part, so my sample can access the whole keyboard range. As I add or delete samples, I just Add/Cut as needed. I sampled a bunch of Virus sounds, for a slasher movie. Some parts of the keyboard were an octave, while other sounds were one note. It really sped things up, so I didn't have to navigate the Virus and perform the same CC moves.

If I know I'm sampling a specific range, like one sample per key, or one sample per 4 keys, I'll set that up, prior to recording the first take.

If I'm using many samples on one keyboard, but they need their own envelope or filter settings, per key, I'll put them in a Drum Kit. Heck, if it is something that is in time, you can just select TIME SLICE, hit Record, and all the samples will be mapped out different keys and put into a program for you.

There are so many audio possiblities, like sampling in any mode, through the FX, loading waves from Song Audio folders for finger triggering, etc.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again folks,

Thanks for all your responses. I asked the question because at the time I had an ASR-10 on it's way to me and now it's sitting pretty on the rack space above my Kronos.

Fooling with sampling on the two of them over this weekend I guess I can now somewhat answer my own questions.

The ASR-10 is a classic and it's straight forward. Booting up and loading stuff is a pain but it's built to sample and deliver for instant results.

The Kronos pretty much like the rest of the keyboard has a lot of depth to it. It's not a touch and go type of sampler like the ASR-10 it's a monster full of options that can devour you unless you know what you want.

Sound wise the Kronos is going to dish out the HD quality and the ASR-10 has it's buttery 90's sound going on.

I don't think one or the other is better or cancels out the other it just depends on what you plan to do with your samples. If it's the ASR-10 you can get into it relatively quickly if it's the Kronos it's going to take a while because of all the extra features but the end result makes it worth it.

I'm still learning them both but the ASR 10 Manual(s) yes plural are rather long and insightful with some pretty deep features on that board. They are two different instruments with 2 different approaches to sampling one the old school approach and the other the high tech approach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: