Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos (Input Monitoring)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Kronos (Input Monitoring) Reply with quote

Is this possible to (it seems so): play stereo backing track where one additional track of vocal is being recorded live (while being monitored) and having only that live vocal being recorded, hence, monitored vocal?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. In the Audio Track mixer, set Audio Track 1 (or any other) to Input 1 or 2, whichever your mic is plugged into. That will be your dry signal. Assigning the mic (Input 1 or 2) to Bus Select L/R will not affect this; both are available at the same time.

You can route into other destinations, in addition to those, as well.
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. Mike, thanks! Would that be through which mode, (sequencer, sampling, etc.)? A side note to add would be that in the mixer, can audio being routed through outputs (1-4) be monitored without being recorded (because I want the monitored vocal to be recorded with an outboard dac, as an option)?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would that be through which mode, (sequencer, sampling, etc.)?

If you set up the Global Audio, then it can be used in Program, Combi, or Sequence modes. Whichever mode you are in, go to the AUDIO IN/SAMPLING tab and make sure that the USE GLOBAL SETTING box is checked. Or you can just set it up in the mode that you are in.

Quote:
in the mixer, can audio being routed through outputs (1-4) be monitored without being recorded (because I want the monitored vocal to be recorded with an outboard dac, as an option)?

I was assuming this was all in the Kronos, in my previous post. If you have an external source backing track, run that into USB or S/P DIF, or to the other analogue input. If the latter, it's going to be mono. Just assign it to L/R.

For voice isolation, try this: On the Global Audio or whichever Audio In/Sampling page - Mic into Input 1. Bus Select is L/R, if you want to hear everything on the Kronos.
Select FX CONTROL 1, under that.

Whatever mode (prog,comb,seq) you are in, you need to go the the INSERT FX page. Assign a Stereo Compressor, to whatever open slot that you have.

Select the IFX 1-12 tab, so you can see the compressor parameters. Tick the SIDE CHAIN MONITOR box.

Under ENVELOPE, touch SOURCE and select FX CONTROL 1. You can play with the other settings later, mainly L/R MIX and SIDE CHAIN EQ. If you tick that, the highpass setting (100 and above) is nice.

Select the INSERT FX tab. To the right of Stereo Compressor are choices for output. BUS SELECT - here you can select what output you want - Individual 1,2,3,4, or 1/2, 3/4.

If you wish to use other effects on the vocal, you can tick the CHAIN box to route to additional IFX. The last IFX in that chain will need to be output to 1,2.3,4.

I think that is the easiest way, right now.
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your’re correct in that all of this would be done in the Kronos; no wasted answer on your part, there. However- I would take it again, though, one step further with one additional scenario by having that same monitored vocal being sent to an external adc (correction from mentioning external dac from my second post; apologies). Though I’m splitting hairs here, I want the option for a different or even ‘better’ adc for the vocal only. The Kronos adc is TI’s pcm1802.

What I’m trying to accomplish is this:

I’m hoping that I can monitor a vocal via analog (without hitting the Kronos adc), all the while sending it through an output to an external adc; that everything can be done in one pass. ‘It’s just that I’m not sure if the Kronos will allow to monitor a signal being sent to an individual output (1-4) vs. L/R all the while being heard together in the monitor with everything else while the vocal is being recorded wet, or dry for processing later.’

I still have to take in what you just said to me in your last post. I just wanted to (hopefully) clarify my intentions and just exactly what it is I’m trying to do.

Thanks for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: