Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy New Kronos 2 or wait for the next upgrade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have heard and read it' a huge disappointment.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guarib wrote:
I will die before mastering every aspect of kronos.

There’s no question about the depth of the Kronos 2. The original question is a matter of timing. No one likes to spend a hundreds or thousands of dollars on something only to find out a short time later, that a new and improved version is available. I went through this with the Numa Compact 2. Only a few months after the Compact 2 finally showed up in stores, they showed the 2X at the NAMM show. It pissed me off. This is happening in the auto world right now in sales of Corvettes. More than a year ago, strong rumors emerged that Corvette was going mid-engine in the next generation. In October 2017, a year ago, prototypes of a GM mid engine car started being seen and photographed testing on roads. Not surprisingly, sales of the current Corvette model have dropped substantially. Considering the age of the Kronos 2, and how often there is turnaround in the keyboard industry, it’s very reasonable for the OP to wonder if it’s better to wait. Does Korg have any incentive to replace the Kronos if it’s still selling well? If It slipped out that Korg is replacing Kronos soon, it would probably depress sales of the current model. So, are sales of Kronos 2 going up, going down, or staying somewhat level?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
guarib wrote:
I will die before mastering every aspect of kronos.

There’s no question about the depth of the Kronos 2. The original question is a matter of timing. No one likes to spend a hundreds or thousands of dollars on something only to find out a short time later, that a new and improved version is available. I went through this with the Numa Compact 2. Only a few months after the Compact 2 finally showed up in stores, they showed the 2X at the NAMM show. It pissed me off. This is happening in the auto world right now in sales of Corvettes. More than a year ago, strong rumors emerged that Corvette was going mid-engine in the next generation. In October 2017, a year ago, prototypes of a GM mid engine car started being seen and photographed testing on roads. Not surprisingly, sales of the current Corvette model have dropped substantially. Considering the age of the Kronos 2, and how often there is turnaround in the keyboard industry, it’s very reasonable for the OP to wonder if it’s better to wait. Does Korg have any incentive to replace the Kronos if it’s still selling well? If It slipped out that Korg is replacing Kronos soon, it would probably depress sales of the current model. So, are sales of Kronos 2 going up, going down, or staying somewhat level?

The problem is that no one is able to answer, except perhaps some Korg workers.
So, when one is buying a Kronos today, he knows that it takes a risk to see a new keyboard in the following months, more powerful and perhaps less expensive.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ITguy54"]
guarib wrote:
is replacing Kronos soon, it would probably depress sales of the current model.

So, are sales of Kronos 2 going up, going down, or staying somewhat level?

we have had this discussion before, I think.

Since US contributes the bulk of sales for Korg Japan, some conversations with large dealers might bear some clues( if sales are tangibly slacking).

Its tricky, since the US dealers don't want to carry large qty of an expensive product, especially if the turnover is slacking.

And to get a sales person to talk ' big picture ' is difficult. Mostly their universe is all about selling something today, not about inventory trend for the past 60 days.

The dealers do have more access to what is going on with Korg vs us individuals.
But they are unlikely to blab about it freely. For obvious business reasons.

Which is somewhat why I created the 8 point overview on page 2 above.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

So, when one is buying a Kronos today, he knows that it takes a risk to see a new keyboard in the following months, more powerful and perhaps less expensive.

The K2 is definitely useable for many yrs going forward.

Then there is a psychology behind " If I spend $3500 it has to be the latest and greatest for " X years".

Those are 2 different statements since the Kronos is +7 yrs old.

There is an assumption, that Korg 'should ' produce a Kronos replacement by early 2020. Thats 'only' 16 months away, worst case.

So if anyone likes to analyze, and they agree with my " 16 month " assumption,
they can determine if its worth the wait.

And there is the " Y factor". Another co can show up with a comparable
product in 16 months.

Its an interesting problem, IMO
ITguy54

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the power to make Korg produce a successor to the Kronos. Furthermore I can make sure that it will have so many amazing features, sound engines, polyphony, and expandability, that it will make even the most die hard Kronos 2 fans gasp in disbelief. But more succinctly, I can cause it to have every feature I could want in a keyboard.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ITguy54"]I have the power to make Korg produce a successor to the Kronos. Furthermore I can make sure that it will have so many amazing features, sound engines, polyphony, and expandability, that it will make even the most die hard Kronos 2 fans gasp in disbelief. But more succinctly, I can cause it to have every feature I could want in a keyboard.[/quote

LOL

your best post, so far
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ITguy54"]I have the power to make Korg produce a successor to the Kronos. Furthermore I can make sure that it will have so many amazing features, sound engines, polyphony, and expandability, that it will make even the most die hard Kronos 2 fans gasp in disbelief. But more succinctly, I can cause it to have every feature I could want in a keyboard.[/quote

LOL

your best post, so far
ITguy54

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard any more news or rumors about this?

Me neither.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITguy54 wrote:
Anyone heard any more news or rumors about this?

Me neither.

you are doing a great job staying on top of any stray chit-chat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: