Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does every SV-1 have audible amp hiss?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry03

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Does every SV-1 have audible amp hiss? Reply with quote

I just got an Sv-1 and am really happy with it except for a very audible hiss when any of the amps are running. (edit: actually it's especially a problem with EP1 and not so bad with other options). This has been covered in threads before but it's not clear from the earlier threads if every SV-1 has this hiss (and some people just don't mind) or if the hiss is a defect in some SV-1s that needs to be fixed. For an example of the hiss, here is a post from a few years back with a recording of it.
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=93175&highlight=hiss
This is EXACTLY the sound I'm hearing and just as earlier threads have indicated, it goes away if you turn off the amps. Does everybody have this and it's just part of the SV-1? Or is this something that can be fixed?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Larry03

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: No replies so let me simplify the question.... Reply with quote

Since many have viewed but no one has replied, let me ask in a different way:
If you own an SV-1, when you've got the amp sims on do you hear the same hiss that is evident in this recording (at about the 7 second mark)? http://www.hispasonic.com/index.php?controller=forum&action=view_attachment&attachment_id=167162

Is this normal?

Last edited by Larry03 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
i_am_binky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't use the amp modeling much, prefer the cleaner sound most of the time... but there used to be a Korg rep (he's moved on now) who was a big fan of the SV-1; he posted about this topic in another forum

Quote:
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2170820/Nillerbabs#Post2171005

You've started to go in the right direction by opening the Editor, but you're not going to make any changes in the hiss by playing with the RX Noise/Layer control. You want to work with the Amp Sim controls themselves. Carefully experiment with the Pre Volume and Amp Volume to get the tonality you want, and use the Power Attenuator, Prog Level and the Noise Reduction circuit in the Speaker Sim section to accommodate the amount of gain you created from the Amp Sim controls.

Read up about them in the Editor Manual, Pages 34-42.

This works like a real guitar amp, and I have never heard a tube-based guitar amp that doesn't product some level of noise. As digital keyboardists we are not presented with this situation, so we get used to cleanliness. But digital-simulated distortion doesn't sound like the "real deal". So there will be some balance, or trade-off you'll have to deal with to get this authentic tube-based sound.

If you can't accept a little authentic hiss then you could consider the above suggestion, and get your amp simulation through external effects/plug-ins. But experiment and get to know the Amp Sim section using the Editor - it's quite powerful, being based on our Vox ToneLab range of products.

I hope this helps.

Jerry
Korg Guy
Larry03

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_am_binky wrote:
i don't use the amp modeling much, prefer the cleaner sound most of the time... but there used to be a Korg rep (he's moved on now) who was a big fan of the SV-1; he posted about this topic in another forum

Thanks for your response. I had seen that and gave it a shot but couldn't get the hiss down much. The best solution I've found so far was suggested by another poster somewhere-- to just turn the master volume down on the SV-1 and increase the drive a couple of notches to compensate. Changes the tone a little but gets rid of a lot of hiss. I'm also going to try the Rocktron Hush Noise Reduction pedal which is designed for guitars but apparently is especially aimed at reducing high frequency hiss. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DUVD6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm guessing that won't work but I'll post the results here once I try it.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: No replies so let me simplify the question.... Reply with quote

Larry03 wrote:
Since many have viewed but no one has replied, let me ask in a different way:
If you own an SV-1, when you've got the amp sims on do you hear the same hiss that is evident in this recording (at about the 7 second mark)?
Is this normal?

Hey Larry, I haven't been able to get to my SV-1 for a week or so, but I use amp sims all the time and have never noticed an obtrusive hiss, certainly nothing like what was demonstrated in the first post. I wanted to go back and double check before responding, which I've now done.

Firstly, you need to be aware that the amp sims are INTENDED to produce a little hiss. They simulate a real amp. Same reason as your SV-1 makes the noise of the AP damper being raised and lowered, and of the action snapping back when the keys are released on your EPs.

Secondly, I would not recommend playing your AP sounds through the amp sims.

Thirdly, the hiss I get from my amp sims is minimal and in most cases pretty much inaudible. Certainly less than you're experiencing in the recording you made. It would be interesting to hear the views of other SV-1 users.

The only other thing I can think of is to get an outboard effects unit if you're unhappy with the sound of the amp sims inboard, and aren't able to edit them to your satisfaction.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!
Larry03

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: No replies so let me simplify the question.... Reply with quote

CowboyNQ wrote:
Thirdly, the hiss I get from my amp sims is minimal and in most cases pretty much inaudible. Certainly less than you're experiencing in the recording you made. It would be interesting to hear the views of other SV-1 users.

Thanks, Cowboy. This is EXACTLY what i'm wondering about. Could it be that mine is especially noticeable and, therefore, I should return it for another? Though I ordered it online so that would be a huge pain in the ass. By the way, the sample I posted was someone else's recording from a few years ago, which I thought was interesting, because it's precisely the problem I'm having. Input from others will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Spacecowboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: mine hisses way too loud also Reply with quote

mine hisses loud also. and dont tell me to just not use it or buy an outboard distortion.

there shouldn't be any hiss for any reasaon coming out of any professional instrument period!!!!!!
ud dude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine hisses loud, the amp sims are not useable.

My workaround is to plug it into a nice clean guitar tube amp ( I am a guitarist so this was not an extra expense), now it sounds even better cause the EPs it emulates traditionally where amplified with guitar amps or something similar.

So I have to refute the notion that the noise is there b/c it is an emulation of tube amps and tube amps are inherantly noisey .

Not true I play my SV-1 through a tube amp daily and it is dead quite.

If I try to use the amp sims ( through the guitar amp, or a bass amp, or ADAM studio monitors or headphones, it is not useable, -- way to much hiss that surrounds each note, especially long notes, cause as the note decays the hiss becomes louder than the note.

I found an SV-1 at a buddies house today, and tested his out, his amp sims worked GREAT- sounded really nice. So it is not something endemic to every unit. I wish I could figure out how to use this feature.
i_am_binky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: mine hisses way too loud also Reply with quote

Spacecowboy wrote:
mine hisses loud also. and dont tell me to just not use it or buy an outboard distortion.

there shouldn't be any hiss for any reasaon coming out of any professional instrument period!!!!!!
1) if you don't like the sound it makes DONT USE IT... i had to rebuild all my patches so the amplifier was default OFF cuz i didn't like it with any of the sounds i was into... Korg hasn't done much with the SV-1 in a while.

2) while talking about amp, if you save a patch with the amplifier ON, when switching to another patch the SV-1 can make a really loud POP.. LOUD.

3) that Korg never followed up the SV-1 with an SV-2 suggests they also saw more problems than profit.

i think the SV-1 is great-to-play, but i've played a number of the instruments the SV-1 emulates.... how OFTEN those originals failed (esp after a few years): dead battery/power supply, dead/stuck keys, poor build quality, constant tuning tine pianos, # of keys to carry to/from gigs.

the SV-1 emulates problems with its own weird versions, but gives me the sounds i like for playing. piano, rhodes, wurlie, fm tine, pad, strings, choir, mellotron, couple synth things... very hit or miss, but for me it works out; I really like the selections made overall (replace organ maybe).
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ud dude wrote:

So I have to refute the notion that the noise is there b/c it is an emulation of tube amps and tube amps are inherantly noisey .

Refute what you like. It does what it does, whether you agree with it or not.

Check that your amp drive isn't too high - makes a big difference. Otherwise just switch the amp sim off if you don't like the colour it gives your sound. I use mine all the time and they sound fantastic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: