Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS-20EX feedback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunnar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: MS-20EX feedback Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm curious about what kind of experience you guys have with routing up feedback in the MS-20EX.

Background: I have a MicroBrute and MiniBrute 2, both of which have "brute factor", which is just a fancy name for filter feedback. A quite common patch for me on these is to set LPF and resonance to around 50%, and then crank up the feedback. At up to 50% this gives a nice warm shape, perfect for bass pads and leads. If I take the resonance up to 80-90% (self-oscillate range) and add a bit more feedback, I have have very gritty lead. These are the effects I'm aiming for. (If I go a bit higher on the brute factor, the feedback takes control and I get a lot of unrelated harmonics ringing, which can be interesting, but is less "playable")

I've wanted get close to this on the Kronos. There is a very distinct fullness, which is hard to get to. My most successful patch thus far is a PolySix patch with tubeamp and some EQing. But I'm thinking that the MS-20EX should be able to get me closer.

Start with a single OSC Saw, HPF an LPF at 0 effect (effectively bypassing them) and no resonance. Then, in the patch panel, route two connections:

- "Signal Out" (by the volume knob) -> "ESP Signal In"
- "ESP Out" -> "Ext Signal In" (going into the highpass filter)

or alternatively route the signal back after the BPF in the ESP chain.

With this in place, slowly bring up the signal in level using the knob. For the first 10-20% this sounds right, but it quite quickly starts to add in a lot of unrelated harmonic ringing. Especially for certain notes on the keyboard. Based on the couple of vids on youtube of the MS-20 and MS-20 mini feedback, this isn't entirely the response I expect. Basically, I'm looking for more musical / natural drive, not that it goes directly into self-oscillating feedback...

Is this how the MS-20 sounds? Or should I patch things up differently?

Any input is appreciated Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: