Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Korg Fix Minilogue's broken RTZ Envelopes?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
John01W
Platinum Member


Joined: 13 Dec 2002
Posts: 1301
Location: Tejas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Will Korg Fix Minilogue's broken RTZ Envelopes? Reply with quote

It's a pretty big issue out in the world...and I love the synth and it sounds great but it's way of retriggering it's envelopes is driving me nuts....

Minilogue simply does it WRONG....and it causes abrupt cutoffs/clicks and bad behavior on note stealing and playing in any mono/duo/unison mode.

The Minilogue's envelopes are stuck in RTZ(return to zero) retriggering mode....IMO pretty much any lead sound that is not in annoying legato/portamento mode sounds pretty bad....

IMO, with Minilogue's envelope behavior....duo unison and mono mode are broken.....voice stealing in poly mode pretty much makes it broken once voice stealing happens....very abrupt and annoying.

The minilogue simply needs to have a few or more envelope retrigger modes....



The top envelope is legato, the middle is the correct way, and the bottom one is how the minilogue does it...as you can imagine in any mode this will be an issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lemyisgod



Joined: 25 Jan 2017
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated the other day and now having these problems with the voices. Poly mode is basically useless now if you have the release turned up at all. Its weird too cause if you play a three note pattern in arp it works fine but play the same three note pattern in Poly and it will randomly drop voices and constantly reset the ADSR.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John01W
Platinum Member


Joined: 13 Dec 2002
Posts: 1301
Location: Tejas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemyisgod wrote:
Just updated the other day and now having these problems with the voices. Poly mode is basically useless now if you have the release turned up at all. Its weird too cause if you play a three note pattern in arp it works fine but play the same three note pattern in Poly and it will randomly drop voices and constantly reset the ADSR.


Ya, it's a real problem.....IMO, mono modes have a problem too, hard to get a smooth sounding lead sound if portamento isn't turned on....and really I hate portamento lead sounds, no definition IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
EvilDragon
Platinum Member


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 1992
Location: Croatia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is #1 issue with Minilogue. I really hope Korg listens and adds some envelope retriggering modes to alleviate this. Shame this thread is almost 2 years old and no response from Korg.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
number6uk
Junior Member


Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Posts: 51
Location: Derby, UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the portamento issue, switch it on, but set it's value to 0. That gets rid of the clicks without portamento wokring.
_________________
Neil

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Savante
Junior Member


Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 55
Location: Rural Northern California

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Will Korg Fix Minilogue's broken RTZ Envelopes? Reply with quote

John01W wrote:
It's a pretty big issue out in the world...and I love the synth and it sounds great but it's way of retriggering it's envelopes is driving me nuts....

Minilogue simply does it WRONG....and it causes abrupt cutoffs/clicks and bad behavior on note stealing and playing in any mono/duo/unison mode.

The Minilogue's envelopes are stuck in RTZ(return to zero) retriggering mode....IMO pretty much any lead sound that is not in annoying legato/portamento mode sounds pretty bad....

IMO, with Minilogue's envelope behavior....duo unison and mono mode are broken.....voice stealing in poly mode pretty much makes it broken once voice stealing happens....very abrupt and annoying.

The minilogue simply needs to have a few or more envelope retrigger modes....



The top envelope is legato, the middle is the correct way, and the bottom one is how the minilogue does it...as you can imagine in any mode this will be an issue.


I'm having this identical problem on my new, fully updated, Minilogue XD. It's driving me crazy! My main use of the XD is for mono leads. Great tones, but the retrigger to zero problem is ruining everything. My sales engineer at Sweetwater said he would inquire about it -- they have a Korg expert there. I hope some progress can be made with this issue!

Does anyone have a workaround? The suggestion here to turn on portamento and then set it to zero doesn't mitigate the problem at all for me. It makes no difference at all.
_________________
Korg synths played with ribbon controller pitch bend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak2eL_0rCBE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1fHKsjwaA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pmp3sR91ak&feature=channel

First-ever synth I owned: Korg DW-8000, Current Korg gear: Korg Kronos 2; Korg Minilogue XD; Korg Krome EX
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Savante
Junior Member


Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 55
Location: Rural Northern California

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6uk wrote:
For the portamento issue, switch it on, but set it's value to 0. That gets rid of the clicks without portamento working.


This "solution" doesn't work at all for me. Same clicks and clacks and RTZ issues persist.
_________________
Korg synths played with ribbon controller pitch bend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak2eL_0rCBE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1fHKsjwaA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pmp3sR91ak&feature=channel

First-ever synth I owned: Korg DW-8000, Current Korg gear: Korg Kronos 2; Korg Minilogue XD; Korg Krome EX
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SeedyLee
Platinum Member


Joined: 13 Sep 2006
Posts: 1283
Location: Perth, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can they fix it on the Kronos and Nautilus too, whilst they’re at it?

At least the Microkorg, MS20 and Odyssey get it right.
_________________
Current Equipment:
Korg Kronos 61, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW1600 Monotron, , Roland JV-80 & JV-1080 Kawai L1, Lexicon MX200,

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
synthpeter
Junior Member


Joined: 25 Jun 2019
Posts: 92
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same on the Monologue. It's worst with lower notes, where the impact of abruptly clamping a signal to zero is highest. Instead of using the portamento trick (which indeed mushes the notes together), I rather use the LFO in 1 shot setting, with an inversed (shift-) amount, tuning the rate to dampen the effect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Savante
Junior Member


Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 55
Location: Rural Northern California

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthpeter wrote:
I rather use the LFO in 1 shot setting, with an inversed (shift-) amount, tuning the rate to dampen the effect.


Hi synthpeter. I would like to try this workaround, but I'm not having much luck with it. Which LFO waveform do you use to accomplish this? Which target? Can you give some examples of negative intensity values that you find to work? Any suggested rates to try? Of course I can fiddle around with the rate and negative intensity values, and I am trying that, but I'm a bit stumped on what LFO waveform and target might be most useful. Thank you for any suggestions you can make.
_________________
Korg synths played with ribbon controller pitch bend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak2eL_0rCBE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1fHKsjwaA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pmp3sR91ak&feature=channel

First-ever synth I owned: Korg DW-8000, Current Korg gear: Korg Kronos 2; Korg Minilogue XD; Korg Krome EX
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
synthpeter
Junior Member


Joined: 25 Jun 2019
Posts: 92
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savante wrote:
synthpeter wrote:
I rather use the LFO in 1 shot setting, with an inversed (shift-) amount, tuning the rate to dampen the effect.


Hi synthpeter. I would like to try this workaround, but I'm not having much luck with it. Which LFO waveform do you use to accomplish this? Which target? Can you give some examples of negative intensity values that you find to work? Any suggested rates to try? Of course I can fiddle around with the rate and negative intensity values, and I am trying that, but I'm a bit stumped on what LFO waveform and target might be most useful. Thank you for any suggestions you can make.

Hi Savante,

I use the cutoff as a target. For the LFO wave form, I use the triangle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Savante
Junior Member


Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 55
Location: Rural Northern California

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthpeter wrote:
I use the cutoff as a target. For the LFO wave form, I use the triangle.


Thank you!
_________________
Korg synths played with ribbon controller pitch bend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak2eL_0rCBE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX1fHKsjwaA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pmp3sR91ak&feature=channel

First-ever synth I owned: Korg DW-8000, Current Korg gear: Korg Kronos 2; Korg Minilogue XD; Korg Krome EX
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group