Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I get this synth?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, just for clarification:

The basic Prophet 08 sound has remained the same in the Rev. 2 (though the latter adds a sub osc, a better slop parameter and effects). The critical point is the DCOs going through the filter design around the Curtis filters (not, as many seem to think, the Curtis filters by themselves), plus the resulting resonance behaviour: the overall result is limiting the vividness of the analog sound in these Prophets IMO. For my taste, the result is a bit lifeless, and harsh with open filters, compared to classical analog synths.

Despite it's limited modulation matrix, I can do much more both with the Prologue and with the Prophet 6 for my purposes and taste. The basic sound of both is sounding more straigtforward and vivid in musical contexts and mixes to my ears.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
...The critical point is the DCOs going through the filter design around the Curtis filters (not, as many seem to think, the Curtis filters by themselves)...

The Prophet Rev 2 uses exactly the same integrated circuit (DCO-VCF-VCA flow), and so the same filter, as the Prophet 08 : it's the DSI-120 ! But whatever, it's not the point here !!
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's exactly the point, why the Prophet 08 or Rev.2 are not necessarily regarded as welcome analog synth alternative for the Prologue (or other analog poly synths), despite good functionality.

Else the main point is, that Korg finally has to fix the Prologue or refund it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: