Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg KRONOS Failed as MIDI Hardware in Windows 7 Issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephen Butler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Korg KRONOS Failed as MIDI Hardware in Windows 7 Issue Reply with quote

Hello, well I guess much of my problem is in the title, but I will try to flesh it out a little bit.

Just today I decided to purchase Cockos' REAPER which I had been running as a demo for some time with good results. Buying the licence today also involved upgrading to the latest version, which I believe is v5.91. Previously I had run 5.40. All well and good so far.

Except when I installed the new version of Reaper, my KRONOS virtually immediately said bye-bye to my Windows 7 computer. Gone! It's now listed in my device manager as "Unknown Device." I uninstalled it, took out the USB lead, put it back in, let it reinstall automatically - no dice. It failed to install the driver.

I went to Korg's website to ensure I had the latest OS. I do - version 3.1.2, released in February 2017. I also downloaded and installed the latest driver. Tried again with the pulling out of the USB cable, etc. No dice. Still failed to install. Oh, once, by the way, it "successfully" installed drivers for an "unknown device"!!! Anyway, still nothing for the KRONOS. Now, the KRONOS is dead to Windows and all its applications - Cubase, Kronos Editor 3.1, none of them will recognise dear old Bessie any more (she's the 2012 model - I've had her for six years).

So Reaper has effectively ruined my relationship between KRONOS and my DAW. Thank GOD I finished an album I had been working on for 18 months just last Thursday. I would give a shameless plug for it but I can't be bothered.

I tried to do a System Restore, but that was "unsuccessful", and none of my files were changed.

My computer is a big one, that's about all the technical know-how I have about it. Oh, it says here it has 12GB RAM, a NVDIA GTX750 Video Card, I'm running an Echo Audiofire 4 Sound device thingy, and I've got about 4 external hard drives totalling 10Tb of storage. I also have a mug with an old car on it.

I hope someone is able to assist with this issue, you try to do the right thing and this is what you get for it. I shall be contacting Cockos about this, don't you worry.

Cheers,
Stephen Butler

www.vipersquadron.com
www.stephen-butler.com
MSoft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Korg KRONOS Failed as MIDI Hardware in Windows 7 Issue Reply with quote

Check how many COM ports are in use. Maybe there is a problem.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg KRONOS Failed as MIDI Hardware in Windows 7 Issue Reply with quote

Is your computer 32 or 64 bit? Reaper has two versions you download and if you updated to the wrong version that may be it. If your prior version was 32 and you grabbed the 64 bit it won’t function properly. Also check Reaper support as well.

[quote="Stephen Butler"]Hello, well I guess much of my problem is in the title, but I will try to flesh it out a little bit.

Just today I decided to purchase Cockos' REAPER which I had been running as a demo for some time with good results. Buying the licence today also involved upgrading to the latest version, which I believe is v5.91. Previously I had run 5.40. All well and good so far.

Except when I installed the new version of Reaper, my KRONOS virtually immediately said bye-bye to my Windows 7 computer. Gone! It's now listed in my device manager as "Unknown Device." I uninstalled it, took out the USB lead, put it back in, let it reinstall automatically - no dice. It failed to install the driver.

I went to Korg's website to ensure I had the latest OS. I do - version 3.1.2, released in February 2017. I also downloaded and installed the latest driver. Tried again with the pulling out of the USB cable, etc. No dice. Still failed to install. Oh, once, by the way, it "successfully" installed drivers for an "unknown device"!!! Anyway, still nothing for the KRONOS. Now, the KRONOS is dead to Windows and all its applications - Cubase, Kronos Editor 3.1, none of them will recognise dear old Bessie any more (she's the 2012 model - I've had her for six years).

So Reaper has effectively ruined my relationship between KRONOS and my DAW. Thank GOD I finished an album I had been working on for 18 months just last Thursday. I would give a shameless plug for it but I can't be bothered.

I tried to do a System Restore, but that was "unsuccessful", and none of my files were changed.

My computer is a big one, that's about all the technical know-how I have about it. Oh, it says here it has 12GB RAM, a NVDIA GTX750 Video Card, I'm running an Echo Audiofire 4 Sound device thingy, and I've got about 4 external hard drives totalling 10Tb of storage. I also have a mug with an old car on it.

I hope someone is able to assist with this issue, you try to do the right thing and [i]this [/i]is what you get for it. I shall be contacting Cockos about this, don't you worry.

Cheers,
Stephen Butler[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: