Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Set List Korg Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Detlef

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Set List Korg Kronos Reply with quote

Good evening everybody from Germany,

I have hundreds of songs on my master Keybaord, styles and midi files.
I love the kronos sounds because every song sounds better then before.
But it's very uncomfortable to work with the set list fom my kronos.

For example I have 5 different sounds for a song. Rhodes strings, piano, guitar and trumpet. Each sound is in a different slot.

At this time i try to organize the sounds on two different ways. First I made categories from a-z. But its not enough space to put 20 oder more songs with the special sounds in a folder because I have "only" 128 per slot. It's possible when I make a concert with my band and we're playing only a few songs. But when we have a party you are playing 60 songs

So i started to create folders with categorys piano, e-piano Organ etc.
But when I'm playing a song it takes to long time to search for the right sound.

Is there a possibility when selecting a song on my master Key Yamaha Tyros 4 - that the setlist or the sound that I need is opened directly? Like a path from the song to the kronos sound. That will be wonderful if there is a way to realize it.

Maybe midi? I connected my tyros"Out" with the kronos. When I switch the registrations on my tyros I can see that the set list is switching on the kronos. When i select another song another set list is opened. But where can i tell the master keyboard or the kronos what he should do or open?

It seems to work but unfortunately I do not have much experience with midi so I'm sorry for that.

I'm new in this forum and I like it very much.
Congratulations! It's very nice and helpful.

So I hope to find a solution for my problem
Thx
Detlef Cool

My "Organ Museum":
Yamaha D-85, WERSI GALAXIS, WERSI HELIOS, WERSI SATURN
mikelees

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Detlef and welcome to the world of Kronos programming!

When developing patches for a song, half the battle is getting the sounds themselves, and the other half is arranging them in a combination of splits and layers that is easily playable.

I find that having each individual sound in its own setlist slot is an inefficient way of working, as I think you have discovered, especially as it takes 300-400ms to change sounds this way, which may be too long between sections of a song. Although it's possible to work this way, it's not really how Kronos was designed to be used. Normally, I would use a different setlist slot for each song, and have the sounds needed for that song arranged in a Combi in that setlist slot.

Fortunately, Kronos is a very, very powerful machine, and its main strength is using many different sounds at the same time. There are many different ways of arranging different sounds so that each can be used at different times. Here are a few that work for me - I use different methods at different times, depending on the song and how many parts are needed:

1. Keyboard split - set up the Combi so that the lower part of the keyboard has one sound, and the upper part has a different sound. The Quick Split function in Kronos works well for this. For example, piano+strings in the lower part of the keyboard and a synth lead in the upper part, or double bass in the lower part and piano in the upper. You can have up to 16 keyboard splits in a Combi.

2. Layering - layer several different sounds together so that they play at the same time. The Quick Layer function in Kronos is your friend here. The Kronos is very powerful, so it can cope with complex combinations of layers and splits. Things like Piano + Synth pad or Rhodes + Strings work well as layers. You can also extend splits and layering to an external controller keyboard, so you have a combination of splits and layers on 2 different keyboards.

3. Velocity split - set up different velocity ranges for each sound in the Combi so that when you play softly you get one sound, and when you play hard you get another. This works well for things like Piano (play softly) and Brass (play hard).

4. Mix Play/Mute buttons. Set up a Combi with all the sounds you need layered, then use the Mix Play/Mute buttons with the left control section in Timbre/Track mode to select which sounds you need at any time. I don't use this all that much - I tend to only use it if there is one extra sound I need to add to a Combi when I'm playing, e.g. an octaved piano.

5. Vector Joystick: You can set up vector volume in a Combi, so that with different positions of the vector joystick, you get different sounds. I use this quite a lot - e.g. blending piano and pad so that joystick up is all pad and joystick down is all piano, and a variable mix of the two anywhere in between. Many Programs have some vector joystick control, so you may need to disable vector joystick control on some or all Programs.

6. Karma Scenes: This one is a bit harder to set up, but is really useful. I use this a lot! You can use the Karma scene buttons to select a combination of different sounds in a song, e.g. scene 1 for verses, scene 2 for pre-chorus, scene 3 for chorus etc. There is a link to a tutorial for this here: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=619796#619796

7. Nano Pad: With a Korg Nanopad connected to the Kronos, you can use the top 8 pads for single notes or chords. This is good for things like triggering a single sound in a song like a disco drum, brass hit or vocal stab. I also use it to fill out the sound - if I need to play a synth lead with the right hand I use the chord pads to fill out the left hand part with perhaps chords plus bass - i.e. more than I could play with the left hand on the keyboard alone.

8. A combination of any or all of the above!

Finally, if I haven't used a particular patch for a while, I forget where the split points are or which Karma scene is used for which part. I use the comment text in the setlist slot to remind me!

It takes a bit of learning to use all of these - but the results are well worth it! Have fun...
media-igor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this and more + 16 audio tracks - you can make it in sequencer mode! After that, you can place the Song or Combi in a separate slot of Seth List.
Detlef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Kronos Set List Reply with quote

Thanks for your detailed tips which are very helpful !

But my main problem is not solved yet.

1. I'm starting a registration or song from my master keyboard.
2. I have my combinations and programms for this song on my kronos
3. But before I start a song or style on the master Keyboard I have to search for the sounds for this song at the kronos.
3. My biggest wish: It should be opened automatically suitable for the started registration or song on my master Keyboard
4. At this time I am selecting the registration or song on the master Keyboard, then I am looking on kronos in which slot the sound is saved for the song. Thats not practical
5. I have about 300 styles which I have programmed over the years on my tyros 4

So I am searching for a way to select a registration style or song and the right sound is ready to play on kronos. Is tere a possibilty to do this with mdi control?

My "Organ Museum":
Yamaha D-85, WERSI GALAXIS, WERSI HELIOS, WERSI SATURN
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few years ago when I tried to accomplish similar thing playing on stage I used computer software piece for that. I had Korg Pa2x and Korg M3 (later changed to Kronos) and I wanted set up my both Korgs responding to my song selection. My idea was to select performance item and get both keyboards exacttly as I wanted - sounds, drumtrack, tempo, backtrack chosen, transposes if any etc. After experimenting which keyboard should be main (more flexible to send varieties of midi) and which one should be slave (morte configurable on receiving end) I ended up hooking computer to both and selecting song from computer and sending all midi to both keyboards selecting suitable song, style, performance, backjtrack or whatever needed.

That time I used Sensomusic Usine (http://www.sensomusic.org/) with touchscreen tablet PC (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrlHX4Nu0JQ) . Usine has evolved much and I do not use this piece today, since I work more in studio. I use Ableton/MAX in studio and I imagine this same could be done with Ableton and also with several other software pieces. I know - bringing computer to stage involves all kinds of new issues but that was a way I solved syncing all kinds of parameter setup issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: