Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

S/P DIF sound problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: S/P DIF sound problems Reply with quote

Having issues with getting sound right with my Coaxial to optical digital converter connection.
Pops and clicks and fuzzy sound all the way no matter what i try.
I hope i did not spend all that money buying converter and connections between Kronos and DR-880 only for them to be incompatible at the KHz levels..

I am gettng sound but system clock error is not right and i have tried every setting in Kronos and DR. 880.
I hope there is a solution because i would rather have digital audio work rather than go back to 1/4 cable connections.
Roundandaround

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have checked the cable? A faulty one might cause this.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought brand new cables and converter.
Only thing old is Kronos and DR-880.

Buying another set of cables is not an option for me. I don’t have time before i travel again and no faith that buying another set of new cables is going to be any different.

All is not lost because it is easier to fall back on the 1/4 cables i was using before deciding.
If buying new digital cables over and over again is the only option, until i get a functional pair, i rather spend the money playing the lottery and then just plug in my trusty old 1/4 cable.

Got too much to do before i leave the country again, so i think i give up on Digital audio for this year.
Spent exactly $100usd on new cables and a converter plus shipping.
No time left to run around chasing down cables that work when i have too many more important things to do in little time. Too many other things to buy for my trip.

Maybe i will try again next year.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already tried, go into Global settings on the Kronos and ensure Clock Source is set to S/PDIF. That may resolve your problem.

If not, it's likely to be that the Kronos only accepts digital audio at 48kHz, and the DR880 may be outputting at 44.1 kHz. I can't find any specs on Roland's site about the clock frequency output by the DR880 (shame on Roland!), but if it's not working after changing the clock source on the Kronos and you get a "Clock Error" message, it's likely to be a sample rate mismatch.

Behringer do a surprisingly good digital converter that can convert between coaxial and SPDIF whilst also doing sample rate conversion. This may be a better option than the "generic" converters on the market.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/264903-REG/Behringer_SRC2496_ULTRAMATCH_PRO_Sample.html
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
number6uk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Kronos configured in the same way, SP/DIF -> CONVERTER -> RCA SP/DIF (Focusrite Scarlet).
I have sent my Kronos as the master clock and 48kHz. Korg usually default to 48kHz (have done since I had my Trinity) and I believe all the base samples in the unit are at 48kHz, so less converting and very convenient if you want to up sample to 96kHz in your DAW for any reason.

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
If you haven't already tried, go into Global settings on the Kronos and ensure Clock Source is set to S/PDIF. That may resolve your problem.

If not, it's likely to be that the Kronos only accepts digital audio at 48kHz, and the DR880 may be outputting at 44.1 kHz. I can't find any specs on Roland's site about the clock frequency output by the DR880 (shame on Roland!), but if it's not working after changing the clock source on the Kronos and you get a "Clock Error" message, it's likely to be a sample rate mismatch.

Behringer do a surprisingly good digital converter that can convert between coaxial and SPDIF whilst also doing sample rate conversion. This may be a better option than the "generic" converters on the market.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/264903-REG/Behringer_SRC2496_ULTRAMATCH_PRO_Sample.html

Thanks. I tried changing global setting to S/P DIF but no sound and a few pops and clicks. I am using S/P DIF input for audio in. Not for output.
I get sound when clock is set to internal, but sound is terrible.

My guess was also rate mismatch.

Will get back to it next year. Have been buying everything and the kitchen stove and more. Still have to get the car into the shop and then out and on the road for long trip. And not to mention all i have to get in order for the road trip.
Will strap on the good old 1/4 inserts and get back to digital problems next year.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:

Thanks. I tried changing global setting to S/P DIF but no sound and a few pops and clicks. I am using S/P DIF input for audio in. Not for output.
I get sound when clock is set to internal, but sound is terrible.

My guess was also rate mismatch.

Will get back to it next year. Have been buying everything and the kitchen stove and more. Still have to get the car into the shop and then out and on the road for long trip. And not to mention all i have to get in order for the road trip.
Will strap on the good old 1/4 inserts and get back to digital problems next year.
Rigel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my experience with SPDIF.
I have optical digital audio on my Kronos, Roland V-Synth GT, Sony PCM D100 handheld recorder, and home stereo. They all work fine both for input and output without making any changes in their settings. However, I have CoAxial digital audio on my Kurzweil PC3K6 and Ultranova which I connnect to the others above via a CoAx to SPDIF converter. The converter changes the 24 bit rate of the Kurzweil down to 16 bits. I believe these cheap converters are the weak links in digital audio and may cause some problems.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
number6uk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia, sounds like a sample rate/bit depth mismatch. I use mine both ways, I have one of those converters that has a little switch on the side to dictate which direction the conversion is going, so just leave everything cabled up and switch it there when I need sound coming into the Kronos (not very often, usually for sampling).

Anyway have a safe trip, and when you get back to it in the new year let us know how you get on.

Korg Kronos 2 88, Prologue 16, Minilogue PG, Trinity Plus/SCSI/PBS, Moog Mother 32, DFAM and Subsequent 37 owner.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6uk wrote:
19naia, sounds like a sample rate/bit depth mismatch. I use mine both ways, I have one of those converters that has a little switch on the side to dictate which direction the conversion is going, so just leave everything cabled up and switch it there when I need sound coming into the Kronos (not very often, usually for sampling).

Anyway have a safe trip, and when you get back to it in the new year let us know how you get on.

Thanks. Mine is also both directions. Input and output sides stay the same but it switches the Input and Output between Toslink and Coaxial.
Both sides have a toslink and coaxial connection.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6uk wrote:

Thanks. Mine is also both directions. Input and output sides stay the same but it switches the Input and Output between Toslink and Coaxial.
Both sides have a toslink and coaxial connection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: