Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creative Corner
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Creative Corner Reply with quote

I think many of us are strongly creative.

And there are several ways to demonstrate this on our Kronos and other keyboards, DAWs, etc etc.

I like thinking outside the box, thus the topic.

Here's a quote:

Steve Jobs said “Audiences don’t know what they want until you show them.”
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the things i posted years ago, that is really out of the box use for the kronos. In this video i route the drumtrack through a synth engine. Also shown is how to use the drumtrack to create a strumming effect in the STR-1

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that experimentation, Qui.

And drums [ rhythm section/bass ] plus bass are #1 with my original songs.
I get good variety with a simple Karma approach plus some FX.

With your successful experiment, I can see new musical possibilities.

And with that as a start, a creative muse takes over/builds on it.

Nice work !
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My head has been spinning for almost 2 years on what I call 'promotion'. IOW, locally, I promote, and have little to show for the effort.

I understand that my effort is like a 'fish out of water'.

Here is an analogy that makes sense:

Here’s the thing about audiences: They’re like cats. The minute you show them attention (or you want their attention) they walk away. It isn’t until you start doing something else that cats suddenly crawl all over you.
Audiences are like cats, and successful writers probably understand cats better than most people.

Possibly not related, I have 2 friends who are successful realtors. They are tireless and relentless promoters. They have the brain and attitude for promotion.
Artcutech

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Here’s the thing about audiences: They’re like cats. The minute you show them attention (or you want their attention) they walk away. It isn’t until you start doing something else that cats suddenly crawl all over you.

So audiences are like girls? Haha just joking but that’s an exact analogy of how girls act most times, of course there are exceptions

There are tons of great artists(my opinion)who have an amazing product and market themselves and there stuff doesn’t catch like you would think it should, and there are tons of terrible artists(my opinion) who just seem to get a wave of attention and success with average at best product, and sell out huge venues, it’s just the nature of the business, although if you really feel you have a good live show and have a special product the promotion should be a by-factor. There’s so much out there for people to chew on you really have to hook them with a banger or something that will leave people fans of your music or you, Keep working at whatever your doing and getting better everyday(speaking to myself as well), but then again I’m not sure what your promoting? An album? A band? Keyboard gigs?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artcutech wrote:
GregC wrote:

So audiences are like girls? Haha just joking but that’s an exact analogy of how girls act most times, of course there are exceptions

There are tons of great artists(my opinion)who have an amazing product and market themselves and there stuff doesn’t catch like you would think it should, and there are tons of terrible artists(my opinion) who just seem to get a wave of attention and success with average at best product, and sell out huge venues, it’s just the nature of the business, although if you really feel you have a good live show and have a special product the promotion should be a by-factor. There’s so much out there for people to chew on you really have to hook them with a banger or something that will leave people fans of your music or you, Keep working at whatever your doing and getting better everyday(speaking to myself as well), but then again I’m not sure what your promoting? An album? A band? Keyboard gigs?

Welcome to the forum !

There is a 20 year ongoing rant against the contrived , and not very creative state of pop music. The central point is that the bulk of churned repetition of commercial material is well funded/distribited and drowns out creative artists.

Here are a few examples that expound further:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuGt-ZG39cU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/post-malone-is-the-perfect-pop-star-for-this-american-moment-thats-not-a-compliment/2018/10/30/ad6112b8-dbc4-11e8-b732-3c72cbf131f2_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.de0bce8312e1

Sure, if you dig around, there are hundreds of talented creative musicians.
But word of mouth or grinding away at self promo for 5 years is not a formula
for survival. Again, these are common arguments for decades. Its just the
past 2 [ or more] decades the funded producers/entities have little interest in what is unique.

I promote my original material ( 41 songs] on SoundCloud. Its not about money. My local area is mostly country, party pop rock, occasional tribute band.
The venues don't support anything else. I understand from a business standpoint. Priorities are getting butts in seats and selling alcohol.
Thank you for asking.

Last edited by GregC on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a power in allowing yourself to be known and heard in owning your unique story, in using your authentic voice.

And there’s a grace in being willing to know and hear others.

- Michelle Obama
Artcutech

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t let it get to me, there’s so much modern music to call it all awful or generalize it is simply opinion and not fact, because even the newer less known quality product out there is modern, although a great deal of modern music is watered down I agree

As far as post Malone goes, I really don’t like any of his music and was suprised how big he got from white iverson off sound cloud, I rap and make beats and know of 100’s of rappers and some personally that just obliterate anyrhing I heard from post Malone, that being said that is my opinion, and I’m also nothing but happy for post Malone, it could be one or our friends that people think is wack who blows up, I know what the industry is and this has been happening for years, this will never change REAL RAPPERS GET SHELVED AND WACK ONES GET FAMOUS - HOPSIN, now most people prob never heard of HOPSIN, he’s been putting in work for over 10 years and he’s got a huge fan base and a multi millionaire, makes all his own beats and has traveled the world doing countless shows, but I bet 95% of post Malone fans have never heard of him even though they went at each other on Twitter or something sometime ago. The point I’m trying make is If you expect anything else then your going to be disappointed over and over again.

It can happen in edm Sometimes in adifferent way, everyone wants to hate on skrillex because how commercial he is, but then they want all there mix-downs and masters to sound as loud and great as his, I personally like skrillex and think his beats are amazing but also like more unknowns artist just as much, but there are countless local and worldwide up and coming artists who really suck(my opinion) that do hip-hop and edm and feel like there not getting a break or fair shake when in reality they have to keep working on their craft, this discussion can go 90 diffferent ways

The masses are sheep and if you think otherwise you will be disappointed, that being said good for post Malone, I’m sure there are prob people who really enjoy his music and to think that there needs to be some high authority on what’s appropriate to represent a genre or success the likes of which he’s seen is non-sense

EVERYONE has a soundcloud, it really seems to be where songs go to die if that’s the only place you’ve released them. Not sure if you’ve done this already but put together 8 or 10 of your best tracks as an album, or make a new 8 or. 10 tracks of your best stuff and release it as an album (something special and timeless) through tune core or one of the other online distributers and it’ll be packaged as an album on everys ingle platform you choose, Spotify, iTunes, I heart radio, whatever, now you’ll be able to put yourself on the same platform as the biggest names in the business(really does make a difference)and if one of the tracks catches a following people will be drawn to the album and you as an artist, but don’t get your hopes up, success is in the eye of the beholder, and making music I like and am happy with is success to me, if it catches it catches if it doesn’t I’m not gonna hate on post Malone

Sorry about the run on sentences on my phone and just wanted to get this out, thanks and nothing but respect Greg
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent post. We are brothers here and I think the knowledge we share
is cool and helpful.

Your suggestions sound perfect to me. I consider SC a good way to distribute and test my originals. The stats on SC are helpful. Its easy to batch up 8 songs and push them out to the main digital music sites.
Artcutech

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
excellent post. We are brothers here and I think the knowledge we share
is cool and helpful.

Your suggestions sound perfect to me. I consider SC a good way to distribute and test my originals. The stats on SC are helpful. Its easy to batch up 8 songs and push them out to the main digital music sites.

Believe me I see where your coming from as well, I guess as artists were all In the same boat

I’ve learned a lot from reading through your past threads and posts on here and look forward to asking questions, participating and learning more from the community on these forums
NETWORK1
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

|★

Last edited by NETWORK1 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the O/p, if you please.

people with strong creativity are a small % of the population.
Lets say strong is 9 on a scale of 10.

I have seen figures of 1% to 5%. Everyone else is a 'consumer ' or a potential customer. This might be more a marketing view than pure science.

Anyway, if you have some creativity or bunches, what do you listen to where you find inspiration ? If you have strong creativity that muse will have an appetite and open to interesting material.

I like Miles Davis. I enjoy movie soundtracks and scores from the many made
for ' cable ' series ( Netflix, Showtime, Amazon Prime]. The composers
of this music are highly talented - Mark Isham and James Newton Howard are 2 examples.

I enjoy music and artist history on AXS. This premium cable channel, recently
featured Sir Elton, Ringo Star and Diana Ross. I find these chronicles to be inspiring. More food for creativity.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happiness is having a scratch for every itch.

 — Ogden Nash
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following is an article from a Blog I subscribe to;

I don't agree with all the authors assertions. But its worth considering:

https://medium.com/@orge/sorry-but-you-are-not-original-and-never-will-be-de0a8b131e33

Let’s face it, your ideas are the result of other people’s creations. The good news is: You’re not alone.

In a world where everything has been written, filmed, sculpted, painted, and basically just: Done. Nothing is truly original. The truth of the matter is that, it has never been or ever will be.

Everything we know is a remix. A reinterpretation. All things ever created are a rehash of other stuff previously made — which probably were also altered by someone at some point — .

‘Creators often feel pressure to stand out from the rest, in a fresh, unique way. Writers aren’t the exception to this feeling. You’re either original or you’re just not creative enough.

The struggle is real. Writing is hard as hell. Coming up with new original ideas in today’s world is a challenge in itself and it might be as well the first cause of death of our profession.

But it’s not something new what makes you special and authentic, is what you bring to the table. Your distinct voice. Your interpretation. That is your contribution right there. Your legacy. Your version. Your very own take to the world to see, taste, and feel.

Once you have released it to the world. You’re allowing your audience to take your product and create something new out of it. Renewing the cycle of creativity once again.

People make excuses for not creating because they feel that everything is already done. Which is true. But, not everything has been done by everyone and that’s the reason everybody should create. Imagination has no limits nor re-creation.

“It’s not where you take things from — it’s where you take them to.” ― Jean-Luc Godard

Originality is a myth, a non-existent matter. Creativity is a process of stealing and pulling influences from things you’ve read, seen or consumed before.
However, this process doesn’t imply that you should copy or plagiarize people’s ideas. It means you are tearing them apart by blending in your own personal experience and knowledge.

As a result, giving something old a new life, a new meaning in a way nobody has done it before.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Greg!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: