Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos X vs / to Kronos 2, again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevewahl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Kronos X vs / to Kronos 2, again Reply with quote

I know there's plenty of info on K2 vs the original Kronos / Kronos X. I've read through most of it.

I have had a Kronos X for 2+ years, recently bought a Kronos 2, with the idea that I leave one of them at church (my main "gig") so I don't have to move gear so often. The idea being I just carry a thumb drive between places.

With the change in program layout, I'm trying to make the two keyboards the same, using the K2's layout. I believe I have moved all my programs, combi's, and set lists from the KX to the K2, updated all references, etc. (Need to do song files yet, but I don't have many).

Now the decision: Do I spend money on the new Kronos sound set for the old KX ($250)? I'm not a pianist and I'm most often playing behind someone else on a real piano, the existing pianos in the KX are just fine with me. Unloading EXs17 and EXs18 from the K2, I find that there are 32 sounds that are lacking samples (display "samples not loaded"), mostly in banks I-A and I-B if I remember correctly.

Many of these can be made to "work" to my satisfaction by just substituting the German grand for the Berlin grand. And I think most others could probably be made to work just as well.

(I realize I may be cheating by loading the K2 PCG into the KX; not sure I care *that* much.)

Has anyone else taken this approach rather than spending the money? Is there something I'm not thinking of that will be a "gotcha" later on? If not, I think I'd rather keep the $250, perhaps spending a bit of it on someone else's sound sets.
Qtipcore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off - Do what most fits your wallet.

You're not cheating in any way by loading the PCG created in the K2 on your own KX.
The IP your paying for with the upgrade is the sampleset.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos X vs / to Kronos 2, again Reply with quote

I think you’ve answered your own questions. I have a KRONOS X88. If you want the Berlin Grand then I’d buy it. That’ was really the main advantage (for me anyway) to do this upgrade. I really like like it and use it often when playing jazz. The others included stuff is nice as well but you have to decide if those extras are worth it. But you’ve mentioned your work arounds in most points so maybe not spending the extra money is wise. You’ve already spent a lot on a new K2. But Christmas is coming and might be a great present if someone asks what they can get you for Christmas. Smile
NETWORK1
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos X vs / to Kronos 2, again Reply with quote

removed

Last edited by NETWORK1 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:09 am; edited 4 times in total
stevewahl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos X vs / to Kronos 2, again Reply with quote

NETWORK1 wrote:

Hi
I would say :
Not many people buy 2 steering wheels for the same car.

Gee, I'm not sure how to reply to that. Very Happy Is the two wheels applying to having two of the same synth? Or to having a new piano sound when I've already got one that meets (really, exceeds!) my needs?

Perhaps I should reply: "But there is such a thing as a spare tire!"

I have come up with a PCG with "replacements" for the 32 programs that reference the new samples in I-A and I-B. In some cases I went in and replaced the samples with those that exist in the K-X and earlier without the new expansion; in others, I merely copied a different sound that was similar. The intention was not to be stellar, but to have a placeholder. I put "SUBST" at the end of the patch name (substitute). Only the changed programs are in this PCG, the remaining sounds are init sounds. Is there a way to upload a file to share here, in case someone else finds this useful?
NETWORK1
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos X vs / to Kronos 2, again Reply with quote

removed

Last edited by NETWORK1 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
stevewahl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos X vs / to Kronos 2, again Reply with quote

You make a convincing argument, especially the picture! Shocked

NETWORK1 wrote:

If you create a song and play it to a blind man
chances are he can tell the difference between a piano and a trumpet
like most people listening to the Radio.

But can they really "HEAR" The minutest difference that you hear ?
Are you "Accumulating" , just for the sake of it ?

In my case, I acquired the second Kronos not for the new piano sound, but so I have a duplicate machine to leave one at my church "gig" (~85% of the times I play outside my home), and have the other for home and the remaining 15% of outside playing opportunities.

For a couple of decades I had a similar back-saving setup, with two VFX keyboards (one in each place) and a Roland sound module I'd carry back & forth (first JV-1080 then Integra-7) -- a rack being easier to carry than a keyboard. Intervening acquisitions (Miniak & JP-08 ) were to scratch some itches for things like analog-ish sounds and better hands-on control. The Kronos scratches all those itches and then some, and simplifies the rig I have to carry for the opportunities I now have to play outside of church.

So for now, the Kronos X is going to church, the Kronos 2 is staying at home and I've removed EXs17 and EXs18 from the K2's default loaded samples, so both boards have exactly the same sounds, but I've adopted the K2's presets layout, with the KRS-07 sounds included, with substitutions where EXs17 or EXs18 samples were used. I get most of the benefit of the K2 sounds upgrade in both places. I can always load EXs17/18 back in if I want, but in my default setup I won't accidentally create something that will sound different (or not at all!) when I carry the PCG file to the Kronos X at church.

And now, instead of carrying a rack between home and church, I can carry a USB thumb drive with PCGs (and samples, etc, if I should decide to use them). That's quite an upgrade from my point of view!
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos X vs / to Kronos 2, again Reply with quote

stevewahl wrote:
You make a convincing argument, especially the picture! Shocked

NETWORK1 wrote:

If you create a song and play it to a blind man
chances are he can tell the difference between a piano and a trumpet
like most people listening to the Radio.

But can they really "HEAR" The minutest difference that you hear ?
Are you "Accumulating" , just for the sake of it ?

In my case, I acquired the second Kronos not for the new piano sound, but so I have a duplicate machine to leave one at my church "gig" (~85% of the times I play outside my home), and have the other for home and the remaining 15% of outside playing opportunities.

For a couple of decades I had a similar back-saving setup, with two VFX keyboards (one in each place) and a Roland sound module I'd carry back & forth (first JV-1080 then Integra-7) -- a rack being easier to carry than a keyboard. Intervening acquisitions (Miniak & JP-08 ) were to scratch some itches for things like analog-ish sounds and better hands-on control. The Kronos scratches all those itches and then some, and simplifies the rig I have to carry for the opportunities I now have to play outside of church.

So for now, the Kronos X is going to church, the Kronos 2 is staying at home and I've removed EXs17 and EXs18 from the K2's default loaded samples, so both boards have exactly the same sounds, but I've adopted the K2's presets layout, with the KRS-07 sounds included, with substitutions where EXs17 or EXs18 samples were used. I get most of the benefit of the K2 sounds upgrade in both places. I can always load EXs17/18 back in if I want, but in my default setup I won't accidentally create something that will sound different (or not at all!) when I carry the PCG file to the Kronos X at church.

And now, instead of carrying a rack between home and church, I can carry a USB thumb drive with PCGs (and samples, etc, if I should decide to use them). That's quite an upgrade from my point of view!

I'm doing the same thing. I had the original Kronos for many years and decided to get the K2 so I too can leave one at church and have one at home for programming and practicing. In my case I made the K2 identical to the original K. This was simple and any programming I do at home will duplicate perfectly at church. I duplicated the Yamaha P-80 and Nano Pad as well. (P-80 MIDI'd to K61)

I wasn't drawn to the Berlin Grand so, I have it on the K2 if I want to play with it but for now it doesn't load.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: