Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preset Sound Heartache!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_scotty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:46 am    Post subject: Preset Sound Heartache! Reply with quote

I've had my Kronos for two years, and I still have not wrote one song/sequence on it. I get so frustrated with all the "famous" sounds, meaning sounds from popular Journey or Lady Gaga songs (to name a couple).

The Kronos is a beast in being able to create new sounds, but I don't always want to create new sounds when I'm sitting down to write. I always eventually tweak the sounds or create new ones, but not at first. I just want to get lost in the music.

Anyone else have this problem, or have a solution for it? I have started renaming some sounds because I don't always recognize them without the name, but after seeing the name (such as Say a Prayer SynFlute) it just kills my spirit. Maybe I should swap out all the sounds.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it easy : one thing at a time. Yes, sometimes, a sound will give you an idea for a tune and all will be coming, perhaps, easily. But most of the time : the tune must be in your head before. All comes in the silence of a mind. And a tune, a song, whatever you call it, it's with a "simple" piano or an organ sound that you will built it more surely. Then, each track by track you will paint your tune with the colors you want. The Kronos is also a painting box 😋

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Preset Sound Heartache! Reply with quote

i_scotty wrote:
I've had my Kronos for two years, and I still have not wrote one song/sequence on it. I get so frustrated with all the "famous" sounds, meaning sounds from popular Journey or Lady Gaga songs (to name a couple).

The Kronos is a beast in being able to create new sounds, but I don't always want to create new sounds when I'm sitting down to write. I always eventually tweak the sounds or create new ones, but not at first. I just want to get lost in the music.

Anyone else have this problem, or have a solution for it? I have started renaming some sounds because I don't always recognize them without the name, but after seeing the name (such as Say a Prayer SynFlute) it just kills my spirit. Maybe I should swap out all the sounds.

I am unclear on your post.

It sounds like you were trying to recreate the famous songs. Fair enough
Copy it into the SEQ and build the song

Next, it appear you want to 'write ' new songs.

Your K has about 1000 factory programs. Simply copy 1 or 2 that you really like
into the SEQ and follow your muse.

You don't need to create a new program from scratch in order to write a new song.

Creating a new program is a separate activity. It can be time consuming.

I recommend some patience and focus on a specific task. Its impossible to learn/ do 3 complex tasks at the same time.

Blowing away all your factory programs sounds like a bad idea. Considering there is nothing wrong with them as is.

Or did you have a preconception Kronos is an arranger keyboard ? It has a few similarities, but its not an arranger.
Sweat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why categories are important to me. I don't care what the program names are. I even create some of my own categories like PhatSynth, Plucked, DarkPad. If I end up using Say a Prayer SynFlute, it's because I found it in the Woodwind category I was searching.
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found this on occasions, sometimes, some workstations can be so overwhelming when it comes to the plethora of sounds. It's like working with Komplete 11 ultimate last year for me, you install everything, you find you want certain sounds, they're either there under different instruments or not and you're going through patches you'd never use in a lifetime.

It's the same with the kronos, there's a lot of programs in Factory memory I'd never use, as for user locations, I've every intention of filling with what I need as both the LS and 2 88 are going to mirror each other. one for studio / home, the other for touring / session work, both together as a sequencing powerhouse.

good luck on your journey, we're on the same page I'd say, I'm trying to get used to two new machines after a long while of older korg hardware.

lew
stevewahl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as sounds you'd use vs. sounds you wouldn't goes, I noticed while using PCG tools that the kronos seems to have some sort of "favorites" designation for things ("Filter on favorites" functionality).

That's the only place I've noticed favorites mentioned. I didn't ask about it here yet, because I haven't tried to read about it in the manuals. I just mentally bookmarked it as something I should look into later.

But if it does anything like I'd suspect from the name, I think it might be pertinent to this discussion. Can anybody describe how it works?

(For this case, I'd think one would take a trip through the factory sounds, marking the ones you really like and think you might use to create songs; then in the initial stages of making a song, you'd pick sounds from your favorites to get the initial melodies and harmonies, and later on either tweak those sounds or contemplate replacing them with others outside of your favorites *if* you find it's necessary.)
NETWORK1
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like , they forgot to include a
Category:Search Button ?

| MUSIC-PRODUCTION™ |
| |
| HD4K™ MOTION-GRAPHICS |

| GTX 980 Intel® Core™ | i7-4790K CPU - | █||||▌║║|║▌║
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is indeed a favourites function in the Kronos. Each Program and Combi has a "favorite" check box on the main screen, and if the Program or Combi is saved with the box checked, then the "favorites" option becomes available in the Program and Combi list view, and the Category list view. Once the favourites option is checked in these views, the banks or categories that don't have favourites in them become greyed out.

Use of the favorite check box is mentioned in the Operation Guide, and Parameter Guide.

The favorite function is not available in Set List mode, because Set Lists are essentially already collections of favourites.

Poseidon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Preset Sound Heartache! Reply with quote

i_scotty wrote:

It is strange. I make a song every fornight, all of them based on presets.
My motor to do so is a MOOD, and late nights ( I can't do songs during a daylight!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: