Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tempo/Pitch Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeddy 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Tempo/Pitch Question Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

There's a lovely sound of a stream on SFX catalogue 2, note C2. I want to slow the stream down. I've re-sampled it and applied time stretch, but reading in the manual suggests that only lengthens or shortens the sample, not affecting the actual pitch.

What am I missing here? Is it a tempo thing or a pitch thing?

Thanks in advance

Steve
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are not missing anything.

One shortens or lengthens the sample without affecting pitch, and the other shortens or lengthens the sample with changes to the pitch.

Length of stream over time, always relates to tempo.
Does not matter if pitch goes one way or the other or stays where it is.
Kronos tempo range is not high enough to get into the range that makes it start producing pitch.
The range for tempo and the range for pitch are too far apart to relate on a level that people can notice.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tempo/Pitch Question Reply with quote

jeddy 3 wrote:
Hey Guys,

There's a lovely sound of a stream on SFX catalogue 2, note C2. I want to slow the stream down. I've re-sampled it and applied time stretch, but reading in the manual suggests that only lengthens or shortens the sample, not affecting the actual pitch.

What am I missing here? Is it a tempo thing or a pitch thing?

Thanks in advance

Steve

use Audacity
jeddy 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, Greg I certainly could use a DAW no problem, I was just wondering if I could do this directly on the Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeddy 3 wrote:
Thanks guys, Greg I certainly could use a DAW no problem, I was just wondering if I could do this directly on the Kronos.

I don't know if Audacity is a DAW per se.

It is much easier to use for WAV files, audio files, slow down, pitch change, etc etc

And its free
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
Kronos tempo range is not high enough to get into the range that makes it start producing pitch.
The range for tempo and the range for pitch are too far apart to relate on a level that people can notice.

Can you expand on that? Because that sounds incorrect to me. I'm not a pro at manipulating samples in the Kronos so you might be referring to some specific settings I'm not familiar with.
Are you saying the tempo range of 40-300bpm isn't great enough to effect pitch? First off, the tempo knob doesn't effect sample playback speed... but if it did that would span a range of almost three octaves!

Anyway the pitch settings for a multisample are in SAMPLING > Multi-sample > [box] Multisample Setup > [parameter] Pitch

But you don't need to go through ANY of that resampling stuff since you can adjust pitch in HD-1. I guess I should specify that there is a difference between MIDI note transpose and actual pitch shifting as explained below.

Go back to SFX Catalogue 2
OSC / Pitch > OSC 1 Basic > [box] OSC1 Frequency > Tune
The Tune parameter has an octave range of 1200 cents.
If you need an even greater range of pitch adjustment then go to the OSC1 Pitch tab and in the Pitch box you'll see that the ribbon and JS+/-X axis are assigned to pitch. Each control source can effect the pitch and they do stack. However, JS-X has a five octave range! More than enough to slow the stream down however much you like. You can get some really cool below/above water effects going on with that range!
Remember you can lock the position of JS X with SW 1 or 2 with the appropriate Controllers setting in the Basic / Vector tab.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tempo/Pitch Question Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

use Audacity

I took your advice on this, a few months ago. I love the results!
jeddy 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks Charles.....the answer I was looking for.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesFerraro wrote:
19naia wrote:

Can you expand on that? Because that sounds incorrect to me. I'm not a pro at manipulating samples in the Kronos so you might be referring to some specific settings I'm not familiar with.
....Controllers setting in the Basic / Vector tab.

I make no guarantee i even understood the original question by jeddy 3...
I was being very general in my statements about pitch and tempo relationships. Not trying to be specific to any settings or parameters in Kronos.

So i won’t elaborate or explain myself away, into possibly straying from any useful help to the origal question.
Was glad to comment and i am hoping you and the others were able to help the question get settled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: