Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar into line input at full gain really low

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artcutech

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Guitar into line input at full gain really low Reply with quote

So I was watching the Korg video manual and when he plugs his guitar (electric acoustic) into the back he sets it to line and seems to be getting an extremely full signal with the gain not being set to max, I can’t see if he’s runninig into a Di box or something else and then into the Kronos, but when I plug a guitar(electric acoustic) with the vol on guitar all the way up and the gain all the way up I barely get a signal and have to strum extremely hard in order for any input(really low)to show, any ideas what I’m doing wrong?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the back panel level switch on mic or line ?
Artcutech

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s set to line like the guy in the video has and seems to be getting an extremely healthy input, I know mic and instrument are sometimes the same and give you that extra level needed but I’m was watching the video and trying to follow the directions and he has it set to line and so do I

So this Kronos is Also going to be used as a hub when the person it’s for will be using it live, and would like to run a guitar and dynamic performance mic through it and everything to a MBP with most of the performance and tracks layed out in an arrangement with the ability to play the Korg and guitar in instances, kind of wondering how the audio through for the guitar and mic works but have only worked on it for about a day and haven’t really cracked into the manual or specifics

I’m getting some good results over the usb and have found a way using the external instruments in Ableton to arrange all the midi and then record it to audio, but it seems that the level going out of the usb feels a little flat as compared to running 1/4 outs into a set of monitors, pianos and synths feel decent but drums feel low, just some stuff I’m going through and thought I’d throw it out there
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artcutech wrote:
It’s set to line like the guy in the video has and seems to be getting an extremely healthy input, I know mic and instrument are sometimes the same and give you that extra level needed but I’m was watching the video and trying to follow the directions and he has it set to line and so do I

So this Kronos is Also going to be used as a hub when the person it’s for will be using it live, and would like to run a guitar and dynamic performance mic through it and everything to a MBP with most of the performance and tracks layed out in an arrangement with the ability to play the Korg and guitar in instances, kind of wondering how the audio through for the guitar and mic works but have only worked on it for about a day and haven’t really cracked into the manual or specifics

I’m getting some good results over the usb and have found a way using the external instruments in Ableton to arrange all the midi and then record it to audio, but it seems that the level going out of the usb feels a little flat as compared to running 1/4 outs into a set of monitors, pianos and synths feel decent but drums feel low, just some stuff I’m going through and thought I’d throw it out there

Maybe shift focus to the Audio page setup. I know setting up audio page sometimes leaves people with sound issues even when inputting things like microphones or line out from other keyboards or various audio players.
As long as your guitar has at least a basic standard electric guitar pickup to output line, it should be able to work.
I have no issues using basic microphones that have no power to them.

Kronos Audio page has settings for volume -other than gain.
Each input has a volume setting as well as bus select configuration.

Are you on audio page in Program, Combi or Sequencer?
If in Sequencer mode, are you on Audio page or using an audio track with audio routing there? And if so, are your FX bus, REC bus and Bus select settings from audio page, set to match sequencer audio-routing page settings?

Better to go through these areas before deciding the guitar does not have the right pickup to output system for kronos to handle.
Even then, there are FX options that are desigend specifically for various guitar types, and these FX come each with a page full of settings to make many kinds of situations work.

If your guitar is working via its line out, to a regular guitar amp, then there is good reason to dig deeper into kronos audio page settings and maybe even an FX selected for “bus select” so as to enhance the signal for an ideal guitar-audio situation.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artcutech wrote:
It’s set to line like the guy in the video...

The guy in the Korg video specifies his guitar has an active pickup, which implies it has its own preamp. A passive pickup, if it is what you have on your guitar, will very rarely give you a line level. It should be no problem anyway adjusting the gain pot with a mic input, combined with the numerous internal audio controls in the Kronos.
Artcutech

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:

Are you on audio page in Program, Combi or Sequencer?
If in Sequencer mode, are you on Audio page or using an audio track with audio routing there? And if so, are your FX bus, REC bus and Bus select settings from audio page, set to match sequencer audio-routing page settings?

im actually in the audio sampling section but within sequencer before that, i'm sampling 1/4ins from other sources and getting great signals and amazing samples and choping them up, really happy with it

i'm gonna look over all the audio page settings and get familiar with them 19naia

KK wrote:
Artcutech wrote:
It’s set to line like the guy in the video...

The guy in the Korg video specifies his guitar has an active pickup, which implies it has its own preamp. A passive pickup, if it is what you have on your guitar, will very rarely give you a line level. It should be no problem anyway adjusting the gain pot with a mic input, combined with the numerous internal audio controls in the Kronos.

thanks kk, the guitar i'm using does not have an active pickup, didn't catch that part, i really appreciate the info ill set it to mic and try it out or get an active pick up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: