Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Very bad overall organizational structure of Korg Kronos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galf2 wrote:
burningbusch wrote:
I hope people realize, the Montage has only 640 (equivalent of 5 banks X 128) user Performance locations...

Busch.

At Montage have only 640 User Performance Locations? This is fiasco Shocked

Not quite... Smile

Think about the Kronos....

Programs: Seven internal banks, I-A to I-F and then 16 extended banks, U-A to U-GG or 2,944 Programs

Combis: 16 banks I-A to U-GG or 2,048 combis

Combis is the closest equivalent to a Montage Performance.

You have 1 User Bank in the Montage and 8 Library Banks of 640 performances, or 5,760 Performances in total.

I.e. The Montage has nearly 3 times the number of Combi Slots. As there is no Program mode equivalent (Performances contain their Voices), then you could look at it and say that the Montage is still above par with the Kronos if you add Programs and Combis for total storage (4,988).

Oh, and don't forget the 2,655 Montage preset performances, which are in ROM, and are in addition to your 5,760 Performance slots, or 8,415 Performances in total.

Montage has a different way of managing its Performances (Presets, User, 8 Libraries). The Library slots are effectively preset banks, that you choose to put your own content in. You can swap what is in the banks, but you cannot edit from those banks.

Hard to say which one is best, and that will depend on how often you need to change content. I probably prefer the Kronos approach for consistency coupled with the SSD approach, which means you must be in an odd band if you were at risk of exhausting the number of PCGs you can store on SSD, and load very quickly! Montage in comparison does feel a little stone age in that you are back to loading and saving to fixed memory areas via USB drive. I think the 70's musician with non-patched monosynths and a 32 pogram memory Prophet would be looking at us and wondering why we are moaning about lack of storage! Wink

In conclusion, my assessment is that they way the synths are structured is differently, but when it comes to storage, whilst you are cannot make apple and apples comparisons, the total number of apples and oranges on the Kronos is commensurate with the pears in the Montage Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
mikeyd

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Thus the beauty of The KRONOS. Darn, only 5 free banks 🤦‍♂️

Liviou2004 wrote:
Nonone is constrained to use all factory sounds at once !!

All banks are available to built your own banks. You have the choice to build your own banks map, according to the exs and drums kits you need.

So, there are really 2688 free memories, depending on your needs !

On another hand, if you say that you get only 5 free banks, that meens that your are using all the sounds of all the 16 other banks, so 2048 sounds on the same time ?

Its up to you, but the only thing you have to do is take the time to organize your banks, according to your song and the needed sounds for this song.
Drummond

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos should add an option to load only the required samples for a program when you call up that program, just like the Alesis Fusion. I know it would take a little bit to load but in a studio situation that would be easier than loading a whole ksc. I know "load required samples" option exist.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummond wrote:
Kronos should add an option to load only the required samples for a program when you call up that program, just like the Alesis Fusion. I know it would take a little bit to load but in a studio situation that would be easier than loading a whole ksc. I know "load required samples" option exist.

I would guess that would conflict with the speed of Set List and possibly SST.

I think folks that gig want Set List and SST to work without any hitches.

Just the same, to have it either way is flexible.

We might get 1 more OS update . But if nothing by 2/10/19, I stop thinking of it.
Devnor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute are you saying voices in Montage don't have hard coded locations like every other synth? If I have combis using a string program and I change it to a bass sound, all my combis are broken. Are you saying that can't happen on a montage? wtf
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
Wait a minute are you saying voices in Montage don't have hard coded locations like every other synth? If I have combis using a string program and I change it to a bass sound, all my combis are broken. Are you saying that can't happen on a montage? wtf

There are no Voice Banks in the Montage. Voices are effectively stored in the Parts of a Performance (compared to the old Paradigm of a Performance part having a link to a Voice)

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: