Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got my Kronos and a couple of questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artcutech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Just got my Kronos and a couple of questions Reply with quote

after a damaged box/unit coming through and being sent back i got the Kronos i ordered for somebody today and now have the task of setting it up with Ableton

i installed the usb midi driver, it shows up and i'm setting it up as my input and their soundcard as the output, btw i'm doing this on a MBP 2015 13 inch running high sierra.

Ableton live 9 suite is only 64 bit so i thought after i downloaded the kronos plug-in editor which is only 32 bit i could bridge it using bridgewize and it seemed to work by showing up under audio units but loses bridge connection after being loaded, i sent a trouble shooting email to DDMF and see what comes of it but after reading through countless threads i don't think i even need the kronos plug-in editor to route everything properly and can just do it on the kronos, please let me know if i'm wrong, either way this is where i'm stuck and what i'm trying to do

In Ableton i load an external instrument, set midi to Kronos, ch 1, and audio from 1/2, great, audio is coming in over the usb cable. Where i'm stuck is i would like to be able to play midi track one on one external instrument track 1, midi track 2 on external instrument track 2 and am having trouble individually assigning each midi track. Im sure there's a way and i will be diving deep into this thing and doing research and how to do countless things but i would really like for this person to be able to sit in an Ableton arrangement and be able to compose a song for now and am not able to get it to work, this would be really helpful and make my job much easier, any suggestion as i literally just opened this thing and any help helps
Artcutech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so after making 3 external instrument tracks and switching from 1 to 3 i'm able to record whats coming from midi tracks 1 to 3 into Ableton, but all three are being triggered when audio is played back and solo'd
Artcutech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody just responded to me with this and I hope
It’s not the case

“The Kronos has a USB audio interface bug/"feature" that is probably the cause.

Any audio sent from Live to the Kronos is looped back and mixed in with the audio sent from Kronos to Live.

Example:

Record Kronos playing a piano sound to track 1.
Record Kronos playing a bass sound to track 2.
Record Kronos playing drums to track 3.

Solo and play track 1 and hear only the piano.
Solo and play track 2 and hear both piano and bass.
Solo and play track 3 and hear drums, piano and bass.

Always muting all other tracks when recording the Kronos to a new track gets rid of the loopback but what good is being unable to hear the already recorded tracks? A second audio interface is required to be able to monitor the output of Live while recording.

Yes, that sounds stupid but that's how Korg designed it for some reason.”
Artcutech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can please help, its driving me crazy trying to figure this out

here's two replies i got back from Korg, just want to say all my midi channel are set accordingly, neither of the replies helped whatsoever ever which got me thinking if its even possible? all i am trying to do is have individual midi tracks playing their respective sound, when i freeze and flatten a midi track it only plays the respective sound. When its only midi tracks pre bounce if i press play all the other midi tracks play on every single midi track (each their respective notes not like a giant layer) unless i set them all to no input except for one which will play all of them and makes treating any midi track impossible pre bounce

Korg support 1st reply-

Thank you for contacting Korg USA Product Support.

You would be in a combination to set the MIDI channels for the individual programs in the Kronos for up to 16 different programs. While in a combination, assign the programs in the combination you wish to use in Ableton. Then touch the “Timbre Parameters” tab, the “MIDI” tab, and assign the MIDI channels for the individual programs in the “MIDI Channel” row.

Please note that you can always press the “HELP” button on the Kronos to get information about the screen that you are on. The "HELP" button is to the right of the LCD screen. This information is taken straight from the manual.

Best regards,

Product Support
Korg USA, Inc.

korg supporty second reply out of nowhere got another one, its funny because i told them all the midi tracks are set properly track 1, ch 1, track 2, ch 2 and so on

The reason why are hearing all the instruments is because they are all on the same MIDI channel in the Kronos. The tracks you are playing in Ableton are MIDI tracks as seen in Piano Roll view and not audio tracks which you would see the wave form in the track. When you converted the MIDI track to audio, it does what you want it to do, play only the individual track.

Not sure if you are using Combination mode or Sequence mode on the Kronos so I will provide steps for both. To change the MIDI channel of each timbre in a Combination, touch the “Timbre Parameter” tab and then the “MIDI” tab. Assign the MIDI channel for each timbre under the “MIDI Channel” field. To change the MIDI channel of each track in a Sequence, touch the “Track Parameter” tab and then the “MIDI” tab. Assign the MIDI channel for each track under the “MIDI Channel” field.

This is the one i got from Ableton, btw the Ableton one also does not solve my problem as i would like to be able to treat each midi track individually and by deactivating the on button i lose all sound on that channel, i do that at the end when i want to bounce to audio track by track for now

Ableton support wrote-

"This is actually expected behavior when using the External Instrument device, as this is the device sending MIDI to your external synth. The mute button ("Track Activator" or solo in this case) just mutes audio coming back in through the track, not MIDI being sent out.

Try muting the External Instrument device by deactivating the yellow button. That should mute the sound being routed back into Live from the MIDI being sent to the Kronos:

Let me know if that does the trick!

Cheers,
Sean
Ableton Support Team"
Artcutech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone can please help, its driving me crazy trying to figure this out

here's two replies i got back from Korg, just want to say all my midi channel are set accordingly, neither of the replies helped whatsoever ever which got me thinking if its even possible? all i am trying to do is have individual midi tracks playing their respective sound, when i freeze and flatten a midi track it only plays the respective sound. When its only midi tracks pre bounce if i press play all the other midi tracks play on every single midi track (each their respective notes not like a giant layer) unless i set them all to no input except for one which will play all of them and makes treating any midi track impossible pre bounce

Korg support 1st reply-

You would be in a combination to set the MIDI channels for the individual programs in the Kronos for up to 16 different programs. While in a combination, assign the programs in the combination you wish to use in Ableton. Then touch the “Timbre Parameters” tab, the “MIDI” tab, and assign the MIDI channels for the individual programs in the “MIDI Channel” row.

Please note that you can always press the “HELP” button on the Kronos to get information about the screen that you are on. The "HELP" button is to the right of the LCD screen. This information is taken straight from the manual.

Best regards,

Product Support
Korg USA, Inc.

korg supporty second reply out of nowhere got another one, its funny because i told them all the midi tracks are set properly track 1, ch 1, track 2, ch 2 and so on

The reason why are hearing all the instruments is because they are all on the same MIDI channel in the Kronos. The tracks you are playing in Ableton are MIDI tracks as seen in Piano Roll view and not audio tracks which you would see the wave form in the track. When you converted the MIDI track to audio, it does what you want it to do, play only the individual track.

Not sure if you are using Combination mode or Sequence mode on the Kronos so I will provide steps for both. To change the MIDI channel of each timbre in a Combination, touch the “Timbre Parameter” tab and then the “MIDI” tab. Assign the MIDI channel for each timbre under the “MIDI Channel” field. To change the MIDI channel of each track in a Sequence, touch the “Track Parameter” tab and then the “MIDI” tab. Assign the MIDI channel for each track under the “MIDI Channel” field.

This is the one i got from Ableton, btw the Ableton one also does not solve my problem as i would like to be able to treat each midi track individually and by deactivating the on button i lose all sound on that channel, i do that at the end when i want to bounce to audio track by track for now

Ableton support wrote-

"This is actually expected behavior when using the External Instrument device, as this is the device sending MIDI to your external synth. The mute button ("Track Activator" or solo in this case) just mutes audio coming back in through the track, not MIDI being sent out.

Try muting the External Instrument device by deactivating the yellow button. That should mute the sound being routed back into Live from the MIDI being sent to the Kronos:

Let me know if that does the trick!

Cheers,
Sean
Ableton Support Team"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: