Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stereo and Mono at same time?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Stereo and Mono at same time? Reply with quote

Sitting in with drummer who is deaf in one ear. He needs a mono output from me. I run stereo to FOH. Is there any way to have the L/R outputs run stereo to FOH and output #1 be a mono output so I could run it to the drummer? I don't use a mixer since I only use the Kronos and no other board. Usually L/R to FOH, stereo IEM for me. Thanks.
Rigel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you consider using the headphones output from the Kronos?
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
Rigel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or you can use a cheap headphones amplifier connected to the audio outs.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
Gunnar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't route your signal to Out1 except on a per PROG / COMBI basis, but if that is a livable solution and you have the time to tweak each of your sounds here is how:

Send each active track to Ctrl bus 1 and use a Stereo Limiter to pick up that signal. Then route the limiter into one of the mono effects on the Kronos and then send that to output 1. If you pick something like an EQ and set it to all wet but without changing the sound, that should mono the signal without changing the overall sound.

This leaves you with a standard L&R signal to the desk and you can use the headphones jack for local monitoring with a mono signal running to the drummer on output 1. The mono signal path will bypass the MFX and TFX though, but I suppose the drummer can live without reverb and delays Smile

I explained the limiter routing stuff in more detail in this post: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=735367&sid=ccf3574b09ef8464a12c922b941e4043.

It also possible that a mono limiter might directly pick up the ctrlbus signal. Not at the kronos now, so I can't check.

Good luck Smile
mikelees

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In global audio settings, you can set up the main output to be duplicated on the 1/2 or 3/4 outputs (Global mode - Audio - L R Bus Indiv. Assign.)

With the main outputs duplicated on 1/2 or 3/4, you can send stereo out to FOH on 1/2, and plug into the main L output only to get a mono sum to the drummer.

The downside of this method is that the main volume control only affects the output to the drummer, not the FOH.

I use the main output duplicated on 1/2 for my own monitor sometimes, but for this I use a special adaptor that mixes 1/2 to mono with a couple of resistors inside the plug.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, when you send a post, just have a thought for all of us who don't know your abbreviations !!

What is FOH ? Front Of House ? Field Operations Handbook ? ????

And what about IEM ?? : Intelligent Energy Management ? Integral Equation Method ?

Looking in Parameter Guide, I haven't seen such acronyms !

Thank you in advance.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, FOH = Front of House, IEM = In-Ear Monitor.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Yep, FOH = Front of House, IEM = In-Ear Monitor.

Ok, thanks
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikelees wrote:
In global audio settings, you can set up the main output to be duplicated on the 1/2 or 3/4 outputs (Global mode - Audio - L R Bus Indiv. Assign.)

With the main outputs duplicated on 1/2 or 3/4, you can send stereo out to FOH on 1/2, and plug into the main L output only to get a mono sum to the drummer.

The downside of this method is that the main volume control only affects the output to the drummer, not the FOH.

I use the main output duplicated on 1/2 for my own monitor sometimes, but for this I use a special adaptor that mixes 1/2 to mono with a couple of resistors inside the plug.

It's a good idea.

Quote:

But, if you look at the graphic page 772 of the Parameter Guide, you can see that the 1/2 or 3/4 signal is a full copy of post TFX L/R signal, so both are set by main volume knob.
So I would say that the downside of the method is that you can't set the two volumes separately.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
mikelees wrote:

It's a good idea.

Quote:

But, if you look at the graphic page 772 of the Parameter Guide, you can see that the 1/2 or 3/4 signal is a full copy of post TFX L/R signal, so both are set by main volume knob.
So I would say that the downside of the method is that you can't set the two volumes separately.

I'm going to give this method a shot. Sorry for the abbreviations, partner. Thanks to all for the replies.
mikelees

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi, post TFX doesn’t mean the same as post main volume. At least on my Kronos 2, the volume on 1/2 is fixed, and volume on L/R and headphones out is controlled by the main volume (just tested it). Perhaps there are differences between different Kronos versions, although I think that’s unlikely as it was the same on M3 before.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stereo and Mono at same time? Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
Sitting in with drummer who is deaf in one ear. He needs a mono output from me. I run stereo to FOH. Is there any way to have the L/R outputs run stereo to FOH and output #1 be a mono output so I could run it to the drummer? I don't use a mixer since I only use the Kronos and no other board. Usually L/R to FOH, stereo IEM for me. Thanks.

Your drummer should get his own headphones that have a stereo/mono switch, or some similar plug-in solution. He'll likely find these quite useful in other parts of life as well. Adaptors may not always work unless they have a simple mixing circuit in them. Looks like those are available, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: