Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Note sustain and stability issues with USB connected

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krslae

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Note sustain and stability issues with USB connected Reply with quote

I have had issues with stability on my 2011 KRONOS when USB devices are attached. Computers, phones and even USB sticks would cause the entire system to crash and reboot. After I updated to the lastest firmware (3.1.2) this was resolved.

However I still have issues with sustain "freezing" on sounds (especially lead synth sounds) when USB devices are connected. Even though I release the sustain pedal and switch sound (SST) the lead synth sound will still be playing. I have to switch to a second program or combi for the sound to cancel, which is a real issue when performing live.

Has anyone had similar problems? Thanks!
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of USB devices are connected when this occurs?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
krslae

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crash and reboot happened while my iPhone was connected (perhaps I was charging it), although this was some time ago before I updated to the latest software. The issues with sustain "freezing" happened first when a FAT32-formatted USB stick was connected, and then today at rehearsal when my laptop was connected (a ThinkPad P50 running Linux).
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parameter guide talks about stuck sustain and what to do about it.
So Korg must be aware it is an issue and did not stop the issue from existing.

I had it happen very few times and each event was a long time after the previous event. Like months apart.

When i first started using iPad apps with Kronos, i had a few glitches and it was related to my order of operations and connections made.

So now i have not had an issue in a long time and that is after i started limiting my activity with removing or inserting cables once i am up and running.

For me, it seemed the midi signal was the issue and that coincides with sustain message being stuck on. Sustain is a midi message.
Also the problem was recurring for me more regularly when i was using a device with 5 pin midi together with the USB audio+midi connected iPad.
If i connected or disconnected the 5 pin midi while the USB device was up and running, i was more likely to get issues.

There is a standard order of operation for connecting midi cables,
and problems related to order of operations can come across USB connection as well.
USB A ports are file data transfer ports but also they handle midi control data. Sustain is a control message.
So that could be why you are also getting the midi message glitch in the USB A port for USB stick storage.
iphone/iPad and computers have software that does so much midi routing automatically, especially iOS.
iOS reacts to Kronos and sets up a routing to suite midi interface with kronos. I just plug in iPad, and do nothing to set midi channel and all the midi messages come through, and more midi messages than i can keep track of if i am not careful.
So if you remove something from a midi cable insert port, kronos, the iPhone or computer can react to that ripple in the midi works that extend to USB A and USB B ports as well as midi five pin ports.

You really do have to plan ahead at setup, to get all your plug inserts put in place and done. Once you are up and running, you are more likely to run into glitches if you start changing out USB devices or 5 pin midi devices.

Kronos can put out stuck sustained note even without any external devices plugged into USB or 5 pin Midi. And kronos Parameter guide trouble shooting pages reference this senario and describes it as if it is an inevitable eventuality with kronos. It gives the solution to stop it, and sounds like you found how to stop it anyway.

In your case, i suspect you have something in the Computer and iPhone sending the rougue message. But it could be a particualr program you are using in kronos.
When i had the issue in kronos without any external USB connected, it was a particualr program that i did not like anyway. I was just trying out programs and an old fashioned synth sound got stuck sustain on a note -and i had to change programs. I didn’t like the sound , so i never went back to that program and have since forgotten which program it was.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes multiple presses of the COMPARE button can solve the MIDI stuck note situation.

The COMPARE button is also useful for situations where you seem to have suddenly lost volume on the sound, or some other parameter is adversely affecting the sound.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not stating which computer and OS you use?

My guess is that you have 2 seperate issues.

1. Crashing and rebooting is caused by ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface )

2. "freezing" on sounds is caused by buggy Kronos drivers. I had even 2-4 freezes in COMBI without any MIDI connection, so probably there are bugs in Kronos OS as well.
Korg should implement PANIC button to escape from such situations.

Use 3rd party MIDI interface ( with Linear Time Base or MIDI Time Stamping ), and freezes should stop. Since I made switch I haven’t had even one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: