Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why still the 32 bit editor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nor17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nor17"]
aron wrote:
>

It would probably be easier for Korg to create an entirely new editor than rely on old code that needs to be updated.

They still can do that
rpowell01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update if we are going to see a 64bit editor?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 32-bit editor has been quite a big disappointment from day 1, but not offering a 64bit version in times, when the whole music world has long(!) switched to 64-bit, is really a bad joke.

My only explanantion is that the Kronos might be running out of it's life cycle soon.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
The 32-bit editor has been quite a big disappointment from day 1, but not offering a 64bit version in times, when the whole music world has long(!) switched to 64-bit, is really a bad joke.

My only explanantion is that the Kronos might be running out of it's life cycle soon.

I don't use the editor so my question is noobie;

Don't we have to have a 64 bit OS in Kronos or whatever synth, in order to have a 64 bit editor ?
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
jimknopf wrote:

I don't use the editor so my question is noobie;

Don't we have to have a 64 bit OS in Kronos or whatever synth, in order to have a 64 bit editor ?

No Greg,

the plugin runs inside the computer's 64bit environment, that is not seen by the 32 operating system of the Kronos. The connection between the Kronos and computer is via the MIDI USB standard and system exclusive messages, which is a serial data stream , and not a parallel stream of bits. The MIDI standard allows for any synth to talk to anything with MIDI without needing to know what internal working of the that other synth is doing. Same with the computer. It's behaving just like a synth.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that a 64-bit editor would bring any significant benefit, compared to the current 32-bit one, and 32-bit software will generally run on a 64-bit OS and CPU, and 32-bit VSTs will generally work on a 64-bit host.

The data traffic between the Editor and Kronos is via standard MIDI or USB MIDI, which are both essentially a one bit i.e. a serial data stream conforming to the MIDI standard. The standard allows for a largest number of 0FFFFFFF, which requires 32 bits, but MIDI data are transferred in bytes i.e. 8-bits, so a 32-bit value would be sent as 4 8-bit bytes. The bit-ness of the processor and OS at either end doesn't matter in this case.

It could matter in other, non-MIDI situations, depending on the specific application data protocol.

jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32bit is a completely outdated VST format no longer supported in Cubase since several versions.

You can try using workarounds, but it's hardly worth bothering.

I for one as Cubase user don't allow any 32bit VSTs to my music computers any longer. I still have a 32bit directory, because some installers still install 32bit VST versions besides 64-bit versions by default. But I have this directory for the only purpose of erasing 32bit leftovers immediately after install.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpowell01 wrote:
Any update if we are going to see a 64bit editor?

From a Mac perspective.
First we should ask a question -
Why did Korg embraced MiniQuest as a editor knowing is build on obsolete code ?
Apple did signal in 2007 that Carbon API is the past, and in 2012 officially was deprecated.

There is no point to port Carbon to Cocoa API, 'cos it would be easier to rewrite from a scratch.
I have doubts that we ever see Editor updated on Mac, they even cannot fix MIDI drivers, not to mention bugged Editor for nanoPad2.

Conclusion is that Mac and Korg Kronos don't work well together, and unless Korg take it seriously like hiring experience Mac programmers, we will see the same in the future.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
32bit is a completely outdated VST format no longer supported in Cubase since several versions.

You can try using workarounds, but it's hardly worth bothering.

I for one as Cubase user don't allow any 32bit VSTs to my music computers any longer. I still have a 32bit directory, because some installers still install 32bit VST versions besides 64-bit versions by default. But I have this directory for the only purpose of erasing 32bit leftovers immediately after install.

I understand the desire to be 64 bit only, but for those (like me) who still need to run in Cubase some 32 bit VSTs which are 32 bit only - then JBridge is highly recommended - it is a better bridge that the one that was in Cubase 8!

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nor17 wrote:
I understand that the VST/AU plugin is not as important for everybody, but the plugins are the software that makes the connection to my DAW environment. When connected, the Kronos synthesis can play it's role next to other super softsynth's.

When you play your Kronos as it is, the urge for 64-plugins is off course nonexistent.

But a big respectable music-instruments firm can not be taken seriously when they deliver only a 32bit editor in 2017 with their expensive workstation's.

Nice to have update's, nice to have platinum, gold en wood-side versions, versions with 60gb,, also lot's of new sounds etc.

But I cannot make easy use of for example the incredible Mod7 in my songs without use of spdif. And I cannot save all the info in the same song.

We cannot deny that it was at least the intention of Korg to integrate the Kronos in a DAW environment. And now we have to conclude that Korg failed in that mission?

Come on gentlemen !

Um, the editor has nothing to do with how you get audio from your Kronos into your DAW. You would still need to use SPDIF, USB or analogue audio regardless of whether you use the editor or not.

The only thing the editor really provides is the ability to edit the Kronos from your PC screen, and for instant recall. Both of these things can be easily worked around.

It is absolutely not essential to use your kronos effectively with your DAW.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiRobinez wrote:
although i fully agree that korg should have delivered a working 64 bit plugin, it's not nessecary to make it work together with softsynths in a DAW.

When I got the Kronos, being a software geek, my first instinct was, "Must have software editor and vst!"

Before long it dawned on me that I've spent tons of money over the years to get hardware controllers (e.g. Cubase CMC, Mackie MCU, et al) for my DAW so that I don't have to mix with a mouse. I had just purchased a keyboard that was, by definition, a hardware controller, and yet here I was trying to stuff it all back into the software / keyboard / mouse world. The irony wasn't lost on me.

Of course, everyone has their own workflow, so there's no right or wrong, only what works for you personally.

For my own uses, I'm actually glad it's not a vst plugin. If it was, I'd doubtless spend weeks and who knows how much more money trying to find a good hardware controller to edit the vst parameters before I realized that I already had a hardware controller that did exactly that - attached directly to the parameters. Smile
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
mathewsalem

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: jbridge tool will help you. Reply with quote

jbridge tool will help you.
Check out the website: https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/
Youtube help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6qaPwCApH4

It worked for Korg M50 vst (32bit) when i had to use it in Cubase 10 Pro, which only accepted 64 bit plugins.
danx

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

jbridge tool will help you.

Don´t seems to work with the editor in Cubase 10.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Sequoia with my Kronos and they link perfectly and with a unique simplicity. Sequoia accept both "old" external 32 plug ins as well as the 64 plug-ins. And perfect too is the sync. I is like having many Kronos at home !
Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean, a lack of proper DAW integration?

Most DAWs support MIDI. The Kronos supports MIDI. MIDI was designed specifically for the purpose of integrating musical devices and software from different manufacturers without requiring vendor-specific implementations.

There are plenty of other ways to integrate the Kronos with your DAW. One of the easiest, from the perspective of total recall, is simply to use SysEx to do a dump of the Kronos state into your DAW. Beyond that, all the CCs are well documented.

Yes, you can use the proprietary, third-party editor via VST integration into your DAW to essentially do nothing more than send and receive MIDI. Or you can cut out the middle man and do it yourself.

Every hardware editor I have ever used, from Roland, Moog, DSI, Yamaha and Korg, have all been pretty rubbish when it comes to DAW integration. Cut your losses now and learn to work without them - you may be pleasantly surprised!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: