Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who has bought multiple Kronos(es)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
decreebass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Who has bought multiple Kronos(es)? Reply with quote

So, I'm having the hardest time deciding between the 88 and a smaller version (now the 61). There are numerous factors; weight, portability, key feel, etc. I've realized that, likely, my fate will be to eventually have two; one 88 to keep at home in the studio for practice/jamming/song-writing/inspiration, and the other to take to gigs.

The 61-key was never even an option to me until I realized that with setlists, you can change patches without it cutting off your sound! So now, I want the synth-action keys and the smaller form factor and lighter weight. But I also want the 88 keys and piano action. So, even if they're not both Kronos, or whatever may/may not be released at NAMM, I'm definitely gonna be getting two (at some point - not, like, empty my bank account tomorrow lol!).

Anyone else unable to decide and just gotten both? Curious what your reasoning is and how you use both of them.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is as:

If there is no need for DAW software integration ( refering to Mac ) buying a second Kronos make a perfect logic, and i guess it would be highly recommended.
That way you can concentrate on Korg technologies, exchange patches etc...

If your DAW in your studio is essential, I would not buy a second Kronos.
Kronos and Macs don't blend well.

I was planning to buy 61-key version (have 88-key), however after purchasing nanoPad2 I've change my plans.

I'm expecting to buy a semi-weight synth by Chrismas, but I haven't made up my mind yet.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me there were multiple considerations as to why I have two. I've gone through many iterations and combinations of gear to arrive at my current configuration. Sadly it has cost me some wasted expense, but that is the price to pay for constantly wanting to tweak toward perceived perfection. I am philosophical about the expense as an ongoing running cost to enjoy my passion!

I currently have a Kronos2-88 which sits in my studio never to budge, as you propose. Being predominantly a piano player though, I have found the best compromise for me was the 73 weighted action with extra programmed transpose foot pedals dynamically giving me the full 88 when playing on the fly. I find even though the weight of the 73 is almost that of the 88, it's shorter length gives it a lot more maneuverability and is easier to handle.

I started with a 61, as a portable gig machine as you are planning, and for my piano action I would control it with a Casio PX5S, so had 2 light keyboards to transport. In the end though, having to move two keyboards was a bit of a pain, so decided on the shorter 73 to have only the one.
In any case, I see the Kronos differently to any other synth, and seek a certain security in having 2, because of it's open architecture, disk based PC system, that is potentially more susceptible to corruption than a ROM only based firmware synth, though I think in practice that is a perception rather than a fact, and programs I have loaded are a lot more work to emulate with any other sound source, including vst's because of the nicely integrated control parameter articulations in each program and combi. I have the same setlists and sample loaded into each most of time, so I can sit down at either, with my feet on the ground running.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
My opinion is as:

If there is no need for DAW software integration ( refering to Mac ) buying a second Kronos make a perfect logic, and i guess it would be highly recommended.
That way you can concentrate on Korg technologies, exchanged patches etc...

If your DAW in your studio is essential, I would not buy a second Kronos.
Kronos and Macs don't blend well.

I was planning to buy 61-key version (have 88-key), however after purchasing nanoPad2 I've change my plans.

I'm expecting to buy a semi-weight synth by Chrismas, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

What do you mean Macs and the Kronos don’t blend well? That’s a very broad statement considering there are a multitude of ways to interconnect them.

There were some issues with the last few versions of OS X and USB audio devices, but these issues weren’t specific to the Kronos.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
fclef

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the owner of an original Kronos 73 (serial #000160) which has resided in my studio since 2011. The decision to acquire a second Kronos was rather easy - I purchased a Kronos 61 primarily because of the ease of transport. The K61 is about 15 pounds lighter and, obviously, smaller. Unless the wider range of the 73 is required, it stays in my studio and the 61 goes out on gigs.
Some would argue that having two almost identical instruments is a waste, but my needs require that the capabilities and sounds of my traveling instrument match those of my studio instrument.
The K61 was purchased at a discount as "open box". FWIW, neither instrument has ever given me any problem. I've never regretted either purchase, and the older I get, the more my back appreciates not having to transport the K73.
In the past: Korg DS8, M1, T3, Trinity, O1W, Wavestation, Triton Extreme, Triton Studio 76
decreebass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my thinking as well. Have the 88 for the studio and gig with the 61. Gonna have to sell some stuff to fund them, but that shouldn’t be too painful Smile
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fclef wrote:
I'm the owner of an original Kronos 73 (serial #000160) which has resided in my studio since 2011. The decision to acquire a second Kronos was rather easy - I purchased a Kronos 61 primarily because of the ease of transport. The K61 is about 15 pounds lighter and, obviously, smaller. Unless the wider range of the 73 is required, it stays in my studio and the 61 goes out on gigs.
Some would argue that having two almost identical instruments is a waste, but my needs require that the capabilities and sounds of my traveling instrument match those of my studio instrument.
The K61 was purchased at a discount as "open box". FWIW, neither instrument has ever given me any problem. I've never regretted either purchase, and the older I get, the more my back appreciates not having to transport the K73.

I bought a Kronos 61 back in 2012. I MIDI a Yamaha P-80 to it for the weighted keys. I play in Church every week. I bought a second P-80 to leave at Church so I only had to carry the K61 back and forth. Both P-80 were around $400 ea. and have the same action in a Motif8!

A couple of years ago I was thinking of getting some new keyboard. There are so many cool boards these days. Everytime I got close to buying something, I would think well, I'm certainly going to want to play it at Church. So now I'm dragging two instruments back and forth. I finally realized a second K61 was the right answer. I bought a Kronos 2 61 and now have an identical setup at home and at Church. I only carry a USB stick back and forth!!! If I considered a boutique board I might use it for sampling but keep running with the K's.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
What do you mean Macs and the Kronos don’t blend well? That’s a very broad statement considering there are a multitude of ways to interconnect them.

There were some issues with the last few versions of OS X and USB audio devices, but these issues weren’t specific to the Kronos.

Yes sure you can interconnect them.
First I never used USB audio, so had no frustrations at all, and when comes to MIDI I discussed the issues many times in this forum. I had enough of it so I made a switch to MOTU MIDI interface, so far so good (finally)

But the worse is yet to come to broaden “don’t blend well”

In 2019 new Mac Pro are due to be released, and a new macOS too ( since 2012 we had a new OS every year).
You are probably aware that Mojave is Apple's last version to support 32-bit application. It means that Carbon framework will be deprecated, and programs like Kronos Editor, nanoPad Editor and even Karma Software will NOT run anymore.
In 2017 Apple announced that all Carbon application would no longer be supported “without compromise” that translate that we already running software unsupported by Apple. Korg had 2 years to resolve issue, and we see no resolve.

You can check dependancy on shared libraries by using below command in terminal.
otool -L /PATH TO BINARIES
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: