Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About to pull the trigger, but...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
decreebass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: About to pull the trigger, but... Reply with quote

I remember when the Kronos came out in 2015 (I'm actually in Jordan Rudess' video where he's performing with the Orkeystra at NAMM!). I wanted one badly back then, but as a primarily guitar player, I never bit the bullet.

But it's now almost 2019 - I don't want to buy it if the next king is going to be announced at NAMM, you know? There may not be its replacement announced, but who knows?

Secondly, I'm having a hard time deciding on the size I want. I have a Kross 2 61-key which is great, but even there I'm struggling with the limited octaves for splitting three or more sounds. Then, the 88-key is going to be MASSIVE. I feel like it'd would be a huge pain for gigging, whereas the Kross weighs like 8lbs and is tiny and convenient. I think maybe the 73-key would be an ideal compromise for home practice/recording/inspiration and then not too huge to take to gigs...

Also, while I've been a die-hard Korg fan (no idea why, just seem to like them), I wonder if There might be something better out there for me. I love piano, electric piano, organ, and synth - I don't know of another machine that does all of these things so well across the board. I've heard comparisons between this and the Montage, some Nords, Rolands, etc.

I guess I just need to be pushed over the edge, you dig?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: About to pull the trigger, but... Reply with quote

decreebass wrote:
I remember when the Kronos came out in 2015 (I'm actually in Jordan Rudess' video where he's performing with the Orkeystra at NAMM!). I wanted one badly back then, but as a primarily guitar player, I never bit the bullet.

But it's now almost 2019 - I don't want to buy it if the next king is going to be announced at NAMM, you know? There may not be its replacement announced, but who knows?

Secondly, I'm having a hard time deciding on the size I want. I have a Kross 2 61-key which is great, but even there I'm struggling with the limited octaves for splitting three or more sounds. Then, the 88-key is going to be MASSIVE. I feel like it'd would be a huge pain for gigging, whereas the Kross weighs like 8lbs and is tiny and convenient. I think maybe the 73-key would be an ideal compromise for home practice/recording/inspiration and then not too huge to take to gigs...

Also, while I've been a die-hard Korg fan (no idea why, just seem to like them), I wonder if There might be something better out there for me. I love piano, electric piano, organ, and synth - I don't know of another machine that does all of these things so well across the board. I've heard comparisons between this and the Montage, some Nords, Rolands, etc.

I guess I just need to be pushed over the edge, you dig?

Hold on to your credit card, grasshopper.

Review options 1/31/19. After NAMM.

Over the next 6 weeks, watch Kronos instructional videos by Korg.
Learning Kronos is equally important as your money spent.

I suppose you need synth weighed keys, not piano weight.

Which leads to ' understanding [make a list] your requirements " which is
opposite of impulse buying or using some one else opinion on what to do.

For sure, folks will be helpful here. But I think you need to do your own home work. Doing that will help a wiser decision.

BTW, I greatly enjoy guitar, as guitar parts are prominent on some of my originals.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You coud look at the new Yamaha MODX7: 76 keys, 16 lbs., the same sounds as the Montage: very good (Yamaha) pianos, EPs, horns, and strings; organ and synth that maybe aren't quite as good as Korg's; and an unweghted (semi-weighted?) keybed that's significantly better than the Kross, but not as good as the Kronos 61...the Kronos 73 is a good compromise between the 61 and the 88 for gigging, and its weighted keys are much better that un- or semi-weighted for piano playing, but it is pretty big and heavy (46 lbs.)...

df
decreebass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Hold on to your credit card, grasshopper.

*a hem* debit... I pay with cash Wink

Good advice, though. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to resist, though Smile I wish I knew someone with an inside track. Because, well, if they DO release a new board, I'm sure it'd be July before it'd be widely available, if not later, and it would likely be even more pricey.

dfahrner wrote:
You coud look at the new Yamaha MODX7:

I checked out some vids - looks nice! Plus it's about half the cost...

So I guess price, while not the most important factor, is still part of it. The big thing is, I don't want to pull the trigger and realize I didn't get the best possible board out there.

My needs? Basically none. My Kross covers my "needs." I just want the best of the best to have at home and occasionally gig with - I suspect due to portability, my Kross will remain my main board that I use with the band unless there's some patch that simply can't be duplicated from the Kronos.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Greg; wait another month and see what is released at NAMM. Coming from a Kross, you should get on very well with the Kronos. If you want synth action keys, get the Kronos 2 61 keys. If you want weighted keys, get the 73 or 88.

MOD-X seems great, though I think it lacks aftertouch. In that case, you might go with the Montage, if money isn't an issue.
decreebass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been reading that the MODX seems to feel cheap (understandable, the Kross feels SUPER cheap lol) - and yeah, the montage looks great as well. Difficult to really tell the difference between that and the Kronos in videos. I guess a lot of it will be about workflow as well, and I'm somewhat familiar with the Korg environment; not to say I couldn't et on with the Yamaha, too...

Ugh. Yeah, I'll probably keep poking around the internet for month or so, or at least until I'm sure Korg isn't releasing something new.

Then again, I'd hate to think I wasted the chance to have these 6 weeks with the Kronos if I just end up buying it after January lol!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to forget that Kronos brought the LS model of kronos. Light weight version of kronos
Lets you have the full range of keys for wider spread of splits, and all that without the weight of 88 weighted keys.

You can have your full size and light weight, but not as light weight as the Kross 61.
Also nice to have them midi connected if Kross allows that. Kronos only sees its full potential when midi paired with external devices, like another synth or computer based synths.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decreebass wrote:
Yeah, I've been reading that the MODX seems to feel cheap (understandable, the Kross feels SUPER cheap lol) - and yeah, the montage looks great as well. Difficult to really tell the difference between that and the Kronos in videos. I guess a lot of it will be about workflow as well, and I'm somewhat familiar with the Korg environment; not to say I couldn't get on with the Yamaha, too...

I have a MODX7 (and Kronos, Krome, Kross, etc.) and wouldn't say that it feels cheap; it seems like a typically quality Yamaha product, and sounds like one, although it is mostly plastic for light weight - the MODX is definitely nicer than the Kross or Krome, though...the Yamaha workflow is very different from korg's, it's taken me a few weeks to even start to get comfortable with it, but then again it took a long time with the Kronos, too...so unless you need an instrument right now, you might just as well wait to see if Korg has anything new at NAMM (a Krome 2?) that will do what you need without having to learn a completely new system...

df
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:
[qyou might just as well wait to see if Korg has anything new at NAMM (a Krome 2?) that will do what you need without having to learn a completely new system...

df

as a Korg watcher, this was a thought I also had- in order for Korg to stay competitive with Yamaha's impressive MODX, a re-engineered Krome 2 'should ' be in the cards.

I noticed Korg likes to compete. For example, they did the Grand Stage - Korgs answer to the successful Nord DP's and Yamahas many stage pianos and Rolands impressive Rd2000. And the Dexibel, and etc etc etc.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: About to pull the trigger, but... Reply with quote

I am first and foremost a guitarist and bought the 88 key Kronos earlier in the year. It's for studio use only which is great because light it's not. Still, I've never done a gig thinking, "Wow, this sounds like crap, but it was so easy to carry!" Smile

decreebass wrote:
But it's now almost 2019 - I don't want to buy it if the next king is going to be announced at NAMM, you know?

Believe it or not, I knew Kronos was long in the tooth and I considered that a plus. I don't play for a living these days, I pay the bills as a software developer. So, perhaps more than most, I have an extreme aversion to anything that's 1.0. I don't even like buying new guitars.

From my perspective, if there's a new product at NAMM then:
a) How will it stack up to all the other companies' new releases sure to follow?
b) How long before it's actually stable and reliable?
c) What's the delta on features between the New Thing and what I already have, and how much do I care about them?

And perhaps most importantly, how much will the newly released product diminish my enjoyment of the Kronos?

I can at least answer the last one: none at all. This thing is so loaded with features that I still haven't scratched the surface of what it can do. Every note I play, regardless of the patch, sounds excellent. And compared to every other keyboard I've played short of real pianos, the feel and playability is absolutely stellar.

Having looked at Yamaha and everyone else when I bought this, I intentionally bought something that would take me some time to grow into, and that I wouldn't outgrow anytime soon. For me, the Kronos fit those needs.

Even if there's some cute young thing announced at NAMM, it doesn't invalidate any of what I already have. And it absolutely won't have at least one attribute that I value greatly in the Kronos - being tested, tweaked and patched for years.

For those who want to live on the bleeding edge, I salute you. As for myself, I tend to remember that in the old West, it was the pioneers who got shot at by the indians. Smile
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
decreebass

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: About to pull the trigger, but... Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:

Thank you so much; I love your reply! I also love Augusta. I was there at Eisenhower a few years ago and miss that city dearly.

That's a really good point. You made me realize that I always insist on being on the bleeding edge of tech; I guess it's a remnant of guitar playing where the Pod HD500 is better than the PodXT and the HD500X is better than the HD500 and the Helix is better than them all (similar logic with the Axe Fx units...) - in other words, newer is almost always better; but for keys, it seems that may not necessarily be the case. And I really do love just about everything about the Kronos. I got a chance to play it for a good while at NAMM in 2015 and was blown away!
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not like I don't have issues with GAS. Smile

And I know what you mean about newer = better. I went through a lot of the Line 6 stuff and recently bought a Kemper. I think the Kemper has some things in common with the Kronos and comparable keyboards from other companies.

While synths are a different class of creature, for a lot of the organic sounds I enjoy (piano, B3, Rhodes, etc.), I've seen the Line 6 type of progression over the years - various attempts by keyboard manufacturers to model the given thing. Each attempt gets better. None are ever quite right.

These days, however, sample libraries are pretty close to the real thing because they're just that - samples of the given thing. In a similar fashion, Line 6 and Fractal both create models of amps, whereas the Kemper profiling technique leans in the direction of samplers (not at all literally, of course), taking a kind of snapshot of the given thing.

With the Kronos, since the non-synth sounds tend to be sampled rather than modeled, it comes out sounding extremely close to the real thing, and the same applies to the Kemper. I bought both not just by virtue of being latest and greatest, but because of the kind of thing they are - sampling / profiling versus trying to recreate the sound in a software algorithm.

Of course, just when you though the rat race was over, along come bigger rats...

I have no doubt that the state of the art in sampling will advance. However, I think the improvements will be much more incremental than comparable progress in modeling. This is one of the reasons I went with this class of creature, and why I'm comfortable that my investment will be secure for many years to come. Not in terms of resale value, but rather, "does this thing still sound good to me?"

With the Kemper and Kronos alike, I'm now playing samples of some very high end instruments. I'll never spend the money on the acoustic pianos that Korg sampled, nor am I likely to buy a Dumble, 69 Plexi or other such boutique / collectible amps. But five years down the line, these keyboards and guitar amps are still going to sound just as good as they do today.

At this point, any further investment in my music would probably best be spent improving my playing. It's not like I'm going to run out of road in that direction. Smile
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: