Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'System Startup Failed' error message
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be very odd indeed. I was just curious how it works with authorization transfers. It's all good.

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the same 'failure message' with the brand new replacement as well!...while an old 61 key original Kronos powers on just fine.

The one I sent back showed this error after a month or so. The new one is doing it on the first day.

I guess I have to talk to Sweatwater and make a decision!

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Getting the same 'failure message' with the brand new replacement as well!...while an old 61 key original Kronos powers on just fine.

The one I sent back showed this error after a month or so. The new one is doing it on the first day.

That is very disappointing

I have to ask, is your new K armed with consistent power ? Are all USB devices disconnected.

A dodgy power strip , weak AC outlet, might cause the error. Be sure your power cable is firmly seated in the K.

If this trouble shooting is eliminated, Sweet water should be able to explain
clearly to you, if they are experiencing larger than expected returns on factory new.

The SW salespeople are going to be reluctant to give you a ' bigger picture ' answer. Big picture is not their universe. And anything remotely negative is going to avoided.

I think they owe you a straight answer because your experience with the last 2 K's is very unusual. I have never heard of 2 straight duds in a row.

Let me know if I can help
JoeyL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:

Both of my Kronos 2 have had this error message. I have posted about it a couple of times. No one knows what causes it, just a glitch of the K2 I guess. Both of my K2's are at different churches. They are on different power grids and both have UPS. I also have had a K1 since it came out. It too had systemstartup failure message. But, that message was valid. After 6 years of live playing and travel, it needed a new motherboard. Once replaced it still works like a champ.
As far as the K2's go, when I get the systemstatup.failure message, I just restart and so far they always boot up, no problems.
With that being said, No more Korg Kronos purchases until Korg fixes this problem.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get the occasionally bootup error on my K2-73, which I've had for about 18 months.

It may be worth pointing out that it seems to not be all generations of K2's. It looks to be the ones manufactured in the last 18 months or so. Like many, I have a 2015 K2 which has never ever had the problem.

I could be way off, but it exhibits the symptoms like, rather than a hardware "fault" in the sense that it will get worse and fail, it's a combination of this batch of components and "timings" in the semiconductor switching latency causing the bootup to be randomly in-determinant, and probably needs a bios update to cope with latency......sorry for the techno babble.

I say this also because, there are external subtle differences in the hardware on my later machine vs the 2015 K2. More recently they've updated the ribbon controller to a smooth surface away from the frosted surface which shows the wear more readily after uses. The smooth surface seems to also be easier to run your finger on. I'd be interested to know if others like me who have an earlier K2 could confirm their troublesome K2 has the smooth ribbon controller also. That may certainly indicate changes in batch hardware. At least it may be something to go by.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure it's not a power or temperature issue. I even took it to my parents house and it did the same thing. It doesn't do it all the time, but it has done it enough times within the first week. That makes no sense to me.

On top of that, this one also has at least one Eb1 sticky key as well. It completely gets stuck sometimes. I'm not about to open the board to adjust things.

I don't mind paying the top price for a brand new instrument. I love Kronos, but at this point looks like Korg expects me to be a brave DIY person than just a musician. That would make sense if I bought a used item from ebay.

I'm not sure how Sweetwater wants to handle this. I don't even know what it is I want to do myself! Do I want to play the return game again or just forget about it all and get something completely different. Why would the next Kronos from Sweetwater be any different?

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
For sure it's not a power or temperature issue. I even took it to my parents house and it did the same thing. It doesn't do it all the time, but it has done it enough times within the first week. That makes no sense to me.

On top of that, this one also has at least one Eb1 sticky key as well. It completely gets stuck sometimes. I'm not about to open the board to adjust things.

I don't mind paying the top price for a brand new instrument. I love Kronos, but at this point looks like Korg expects me to be a brave DIY person than just a musician. That would make sense if I bought a used item from ebay.

I'm not sure how Sweetwater wants to handle this. I don't even know what it is I want to do myself! Do I want to play the return game again or just forget about it all and get something completely different. Why would the next Kronos from Sweetwater be any different?

As my other post said, I think SW owes you a straight answer on defective rate.
2 in a row is more than bad luck.

For sure, SW would not ship you other returns or repaired K's- that would blow their rep. So thats not it.

If I were you, I would insist on knowing the defect/return rate for the last 60 or 90 days on factory sealed K's.

Its simple math,for example;
'x' returns units is numerator
100 units sold is denominator

My guess is the rep will be vague about this. Give him a day to ask his manager
for the data. I am 99% sure they track this stuff. They have internal reporting.

I worked for Sony 9 years. Every product category had a known defect rate.
It was a small #.

A 5% defect rate is above average and a sign of a bigger problem
10% is a big problem.

Once you know this, or whatever logical answer, that tells you your next step.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they checked your Kronos out they thought it was fine and sent you the same one back? Sounds really strange!
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:
Maybe they checked your Kronos out they thought it was fine and sent you the same one back? Sounds really strange!

That would've been a nice prank!. SW shipped the replacement. Then I put the older one in that box and shipped it back. So weird!

benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
benny ray wrote:

That would've been a nice prank!. SW shipped the replacement. Then I put the older one in that box and shipped it back. So weird!

Well at least you smiled! You are a genius?
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Sam CA wrote:

As my other post said, I think SW owes you a straight answer on defective rate.
2 in a row is more than bad luck.

For sure, SW would not ship you other returns or repaired K's- that would blow their rep. So thats not it.

If I were you, I would insist on knowing the defect/return rate for the last 60 or 90 days on factory sealed K's.

Its simple math,for example;
'x' returns units is numerator
100 units sold is denominator

My guess is the rep will be vague about this. Give him a day to ask his manager
for the data. I am 99% sure they track this stuff. They have internal reporting.

I worked for Sony 9 years. Every product category had a known defect rate.
It was a small #.

A 5% defect rate is above average and a sign of a bigger problem
10% is a big problem.

Once you know this, or whatever logical answer, that tells you your next step.

I'll call them tomorrow but honestly I don't see myself looking at return data and stuff. I couldn't find an official response/statement...anything from Korg on this, so all is good as far as they're concerned. If there are that many returns, they're the ones who need to know about all this.

Man that Triton Studio paid my student loans...all of it and more. I took it with me to million places with no UPS, power conditioners or anything. People spilled drinks on it multiple times. I Moved many times. It fell many times...and not even once it failed me. After 12 years of abuse under my brutal and I mean BRUTAL playing routine, I sold it for $600. I bet you it's still going strong. I didn't need the money, I should've kept that beast.

Many years later, now that I'm only a home player, I don't seem to be able to get 2 brand new flagship keyboards to even turn on under nearly perfect conditions. I find that too strange!

Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:

Well at least you smiled! You are a genius?

lol

timg11

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the USB warning was in case you had a bootable drive hooked up, but actually it seems to apply to _anything_ USB.

If I leave a USB keyboard plugged in when starting, I get system startup failed.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timg11 wrote:
I thought the USB warning was in case you had a bootable drive hooked up, but actually it seems to apply to _anything_ USB.

If I leave a USB keyboard plugged in when starting, I get system startup failed.

yeah, that would make sense. The failure message might appear if there was a ' non compatible USB device' .

Sam didn't mention having a USB keyboard or whatever USB DVD drive connected to his K.
It would be standard trouble shooting to boot up
without potential problem USB devices.

Anyway, the K boots off the SSD. Thats internal not external.
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't have an external hardware connected to it at all. I only a midi cable...usually connected to the midi out port, but I get this message with or without this cable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: