Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prologue fat VCO complement to Kronos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Prologue fat VCO complement to Kronos? Reply with quote

Have been hesitating to replace my Waldorf Blofeld keys with the Prologue. But still not sure as only one LFO and no aftertouch.

Looking for a fat analog VCO synth (with very fat low-end) to complement my Kronos. Behringer UB-XA will come in 2019. So, still waiting before taking a decision.

Heard the Prologue could sound OBish. In which way (apart from the brassy OBish sounds it appears to recreate pretty well)? Same for epic OBish evolving pads?

Any comment regarding the Prologue complementarity (fatter unison? Fatter low-end? ...) to the Kronos is welcome. Only interested in the VCO analog part of it as VPM is already in Kronos (via Mod7).

Not too much overlap with Kronos?
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Prologue fat VCO complement to Kronos? Reply with quote

chris wrote:
Have been hesitating to replace my Waldorf Blofeld keys with the Prologue.

Simple answer. Don't sell your Blofeld. It's irreplaceable, the keyed and aftertouch is second to non. Then it's the Waldorf sound, polyphony and the clear LCD screen, the pitch and mod wheels. I could almost guarantee you'll miss it.

I have the keyboard version and the desktop version. I sold them both and bought them both back !!
chris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer runningman67.

This is indeed one of the things I’m struggling with. I have the Blofeld keyboard version but true VCOs analog also grab my attention.

By the way, Blofeld is a very good companion to my Kronos.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to replace the Blofeld, just add to it.

You could get a Minitaur for now until the UB-Xa comes out, and even then the Minitaur will still be relevant.

CONs
===
-- no MIDI thru
-- wall wart
-- highest note is C4

PROs
===
-- small size
-- classic Taurus fat low end
-- presets
-- audio in

The Minitaur can be one knob per function if you're looking for basic stuff.

You can also dive deeper into functions like:

-- routing an AUX out of your Kronos into the Minitaur audio in to run through that Moog ladder filter.
-- beat frequency, OSC sync, MIDI CC access to most all parameters
-- CV inputs if you're into that (also serves as CV-to-MIDI converter)
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, going back over that I realized I sounded like a Moog lackey.

I ended up getting a DSI Prophet Rev2 right after I got the Minitaur. The Rev2 can get some OB'ish stuff, and the analog fullness rounds out the Kronos. And it's bi-timbral, and so easy to create sounds with.

But it's only decent in the low end area, unless you go Unison, of course. My Minitaur fills that role anyway.

I'm curious to see what kind of responses we get from Prologue + Kronos owners.
chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
I'm curious to see what kind of responses we get from Prologue + Kronos owners.

+1

Already completed Kronos with DSI Tempest but still missing that wide fat analog VCO sound.

Thanks both for your suggestions.
chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

Some feedback after trying the Prologue 16, DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI OB6, ... today in store.

To be honest, the Prologue didn’t make a Wow effect to me. The filter sounds very good but the big fatness you would expect from VCOs was not there.

The best one to me in terms of fatness was (strangely) the Novation Peak, which was quite a surprise as it doesn’t have VCOs but has very good Oacillators and filters.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also initially letdown that these new generation analogs weren't as thick as I wanted in order to supplement the Kronos. I had and sold an OB6 because of this reason.

The Prophet Rev2 is only slightly thicker than the Kronos. That is, until you use modulate the wave shape of the saw or saw-tri. Next time you have a chance, try making an INIT patch and try that with only 1 osc, not 2. Also turn Pan Spread wide. The Stereo Brass preset may also be of interest.

Other than those suggestions, perhaps you could get a Behringer D, that definitely is a fat, warm VCO, nearly identical to the original lehendary Minimoog Model D.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Behringer Neutron is also an option.

If you really are looking for a polyphonic analog, Uli Behringer posted a couple days ago that his Midas engineers have completed the hardware schematics for the upcoming UB-Xa. However, he still cautions that the more time consuming portion is the firmware development.

Will probably be Q4 2019 or even 2020 before it ships.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally able to use my Prologue as intended, after months of impertinent Korg Japan management misbehavior towards their paying customers, leaving them completely alone with that heavy tuning issue, while selling all these faulty devices, and not even dropping one offical word of help or excuse in months.

Now I really use the Prologue, and I can definitely not agree that the Novation Peak sounds even remotely as good as an analog Prologue: not to my taste.

The Peak is a very versatile VA, but with an extremely lifeless basic oscillator sound IMO. And some slight unwanted lower midrange boominess which it seems to have, is rather not what I regard as "fat" in a proper sense.

That said, the Prologue has it's own analog sound and is no clone of anything. Looking at the simple basic design with only one LFO, it is quite stunning, how different it can be used sonically. There's some nice little tweaking tricks on board, ranging from the three switches for Drive, Low Cut and Keytracking, up to the additional analog compressor on board (with which it definitely can sound fatter in a creamy way, than anything a hardware VA could ever do). Add the additional digital oscillator and the (small but well working) effects setcion, and the palette is much bigger than I thought initially.

It's biggest plus is the vivid basic sound character: this is a breathing, beating, drifting analog synth, and I wouldn't change it against five Blofelds and five Novation Peaks each (other than selling them and getting a Prologue plus something nice in exchange). Very Happy

Last edited by jimknopf on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listen yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF7ZHJd--ts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9X9kK7sOvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8geVJUZPltc

And since everyone is just starting to use it seriously: be sure there's more to it than the original factory patches.
chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your thoughts. Looking forward to the new Behringer UB-Xa.

When testing the Prologue, I had the feeling that the sound character as well as most of the preset sounds could be easily reproduced on a Kronos.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris wrote:
Thanks all for your thoughts. Looking forward to the new Behringer UB-Xa.

When testing the Prologue, I had the feeling that the sound character as well as most of the preset sounds could be easily reproduced on a Kronos.

I very much doubt that many of the Prologue sounds could remotely be reproduced on a Kronos. Just have a listen to the sound examples above, and then go ahead reproducing Smile

Last edited by jimknopf on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Just listen yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF7ZHJd--ts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9X9kK7sOvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8geVJUZPltc

And since everyone is just starting to use it seriously: be sure there's more to it than the original factory patches.

I think I hear lots of multi-tap delay FX.
[ his d minor riffing]

Is that correct ? If so, is the FX native to Prologue
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the FX is from the Prologue, as far as I can hear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: