Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos soundcard in/out, audio input record work around?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artcutech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Kronos soundcard in/out, audio input record work around? Reply with quote

So i'm using the Kronos as my sound card in/out, love the sound it's amazing, i currently am using Ableton and setting up midi tracks that are routed to each channel. So each track on the Kronos can be sequenced in Ableton and hear whats being played as well as the other plug-ins and audio in Ableton as i've activated the USB inputs on the Kronos

Now midi tracks have to eventually be bounced down to audio and the only way to do this is one by one after everything been sequenced which is fine, a tiny bit of latency occurs which i nudge over

now to the question at hand

I just started passing a electric acoustic guitar in audio input 1 which i want to record in Ableton, btw the input set to Mic and sounds really great as i don't have a di box or external preamp but will get one if setting it to Mic can cause damage as i know the manual says only to use a Mic with it set to Mic, but all that aside here's my main problem. Since the only way for me to record the midi is bouncing one by one because everything else gets picked up so i turn all the other tracks off and leave the one i want to bounce down, i just noticed the same thing happens when passing the guitar through to record, i found out i cannot listen to anything while recording the guitar because it picks up everything else on the audio inputs in Ableton, i cannot find a way to listen to the rest of the tracks but only record the guitar on a audio track, i really don't want to record the audio to the Kronos and then dump, but it seems that might be the only way, can anyone see a workaround in this situation?

i've tried using another interface as an output but the latency introduced is horrendous and the sound quality sounds much more inferior to the Kronos
Artcutech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something just came to my head and I think I found a work around! I’m not by the setup in question right now, I’m actually helping somebody with all of this, but what if I were to only activate the right usb input and monitor it while only recording the left/1 audio input in Ableton? Gonna try this later when I get home, it should hopefully work and I hope i don’t get feed back from the other channel side somehow haha this literally just came to me and thought I’d share

The whole latency things makes me wonder sometime as the midi is being triggered in Ableton then recorded from the Kronos, very little occurs when compared to my soft synths which are internal and seem to have a little jump on the Kronos, but If i record this audio directly I wonder if that won’t be the case as nothing is being triggered, I’ll have to see and it’ll be sweet if all the audio from the midi tracks after being recorded are a snug fit with the guitar
Gunnar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artcutech wrote:
Something just came to my head and I think I found a work around! I’m not by the setup in question right now, I’m actually helping somebody with all of this, but what if I were to only activate the right usb input and monitor it while only recording the left/1 audio input in Ableton? Gonna try this later when I get home, it should hopefully work and I hope i don’t get feed back from the other channel side somehow haha this literally just came to me and thought I’d share

As the Kronos internals are all digital, there should be no bleed from L to R channels, so you should be in good shape with this workaround...

Artcutech wrote:
The whole latency things makes me wonder sometime as the midi is being triggered in Ableton then recorded from the Kronos, very little occurs when compared to my soft synths which are internal and seem to have a little jump on the Kronos, but If i record this audio directly I wonder if that won’t be the case as nothing is being triggered, I’ll have to see and it’ll be sweet if all the audio from the midi tracks after being recorded are a snug fit with the guitar

I did a writeup of latencies in the Kronos a few weeks ago. My tests doesn't exactly reflact your setup, but they should still be representative. see: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=116380

For a measure of expected latency between MIDI notes triggered in Ableton, sound production in Kronos and recorded waves in Ableton, refer to Test 1. Note however, that you'll be at 48Khz sample rate, and you're unlikely to get near the 1.5/1.5ms roundtrip latency I have with the FocusRite interface, even if you set the buffer size to 32 (half of my 64 to match the half samplerate). But given that Ableton can do latency compensation, that particular latency shouldn't matter. Only the Kronos' internal one, and that is measured in that test. Perhaps I should redo these tests using the Kronos USB interface to see how things line up then..

I guess Test 5 is also slightly relevant for you given that you want to look at the Kronos Inputs, but I don't know how the fact that you're using the USB audio will affect that. I suspect that means you'll get only half the latency, so around 5-6ms extra for the guitars then...

I suppose I should do these tests again with the Kronos USB to see how that turns out at some point Smile
Artcutech

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for this Gunner!, I will look over this and my tests back to back when I'm by the Kronos

oh yeah and monitoring only from usb 2 which is panned hard right solved my problem, woohoo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: