Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOW Volume when bouncing all tracks to disk (wav file)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewKeys1023

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: LOW Volume when bouncing all tracks to disk (wav file) Reply with quote

Can someone please tell this relatively new owner of a Kronos88 why it’s seemingly impossible to get any volume at all when bouncing all tracks to disk for the purpose of creating a wav file? The created wav file is barely audible in my car or computer. Also, I’ve mastered the song and have the levels just below peaking; it’s loud in headphones and through my monitors. Is there a fix? I just purchased my Kronos88 in August 2018 from Sweetwater with upgraded OS. Help please!!

MatthewKeys1023
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed on the combi presets that there are a lot of compressors used, to keep volumes in a certain range. What you need to do is keep the volumes more consistent.

From what I've noticed, the loudest sound is going to affect the "top volume" of your wave file. When you look at the waveform of your wave file (either in the sample editor on or your computer), check for the volume spikes and see what sounds are spiking.

Also, check the Total FX (TF1 and TF2) on factory combis. There is usually a Stereo Mastering Limiter and other such effects. You can even copy the TFX (and other effects) from factory combis to yours.

I've had "quiet" wave files, which I've brought into Adobe Audition, so I could boost them. But, when I boosted, the loudest parts of the wave clipped. There was always a part of the wave file which had a loud spike, so I boosted the more quiet sections. Better level compression, before recording is the effective solution, and that is what I want to focus more on.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: LOW Volume when bouncing all tracks to disk (wav file) Reply with quote

MatthewKeys1023 wrote:
Can someone please tell this relatively new owner of a Kronos88 why it’s seemingly impossible to get any volume at all when bouncing all tracks to disk for the purpose of creating a wav file? The created wav file is barely audible in my car or computer. Also, I’ve mastered the song and have the levels just below peaking; it’s loud in headphones and through my monitors. Is there a fix? I just purchased my Kronos88 in August 2018 from Sweetwater with upgraded OS. Help please!!

Would be very surprised if there is any problem with your K

In SEQ mode, go to the tab " audio in sampling"

there is a recording level slider- the default is -0-

You should monitor the level and " + number " during your recording

If your song is not getting above -0-, move up the slider.

With my songs, I have the opposite problem- my songs with multiple tracks are
' hot ' . I have to dial down slider to avoid clipping.

I check the WAV file/Song on my Mac and car stereo and get punchy loud volume.

FYI- I don't bounce to DISK. I create a Directory in DISK to record my takes.
Either approach should work
MatthewKeys1023

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Thank you GregC Reply with quote

GregC: just a quick note to say thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I’ve been sequencing on keyboard workstations for +27 years and have never run into this problem. I’ve also never worked on a sequencer that’s quite so complicated & I mean that in a good way; the Kronos is amazing and loaded with useful features. Time, patience and overcoming a stiff learning curve will pay off eventually! This is my first Korg; I owned every Motif ever made and knew them inside and out. Anyhow, your suggestion (main recording slider) worked. I just assumed it would be good since my track was mixed so hot. Thanks and hope you have a great day! Matt

MatthewKeys1023
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you GregC Reply with quote

MatthewKeys1023 wrote:
GregC: just a quick note to say thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. I’ve been sequencing on keyboard workstations for +27 years and have never run into this problem. I’ve also never worked on a sequencer that’s quite so complicated & I mean that in a good way; the Kronos is amazing and loaded with useful features. Time, patience and overcoming a stiff learning curve will pay off eventually! This is my first Korg; I owned every Motif ever made and knew them inside and out. Anyhow, your suggestion (main recording slider) worked. I just assumed it would be good since my track was mixed so hot. Thanks and hope you have a great day! Matt

Hey Matt, glad to help. Cool story on your history Yamaha boards and here you are with a new Kronos, knocking out songs on the SEQ. Its not that easy to get a perfect result, right away.

I am still discovering different approaches on recording on the SEQ. Yesterday, I routed my FA-07 into the SEQ and recorded it as a midi track along with several
Kronos programs on other midi tracks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: