Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how does this work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: how does this work Reply with quote

Global controllers
the pedal/ footswitch
the curve I use the S-shaped with offset response.
i use a damper pedal ( that is on or off ) it is not a continuous pedal or volume pedal or expression pedal .
I use the pedal to turn on the harmony and work great but it i press harder on the pedal or light on the pedal , the volume of the harmony get louder or softer..very nice ,,, but the pedal is just off and on ,,, how does this work.. i have 4 monterey pedal and the all work the same way . how does Korg get expression from off on switch??

Confused
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Duby

That sounds insane !!!!
Potentially a bug but I would leave the curve as "straight" as you are using an ON/OFF switch

I've never used the "Curve" and admit that I didn't even know about it until reading your post.

I might try on my PA4X as I too use my single pedal to control harmony ON/OFF - I'm very curious Confused

Cheers & Happy New Year

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: insane Reply with quote

Pete
your right insane.
If you have time to test this out, try it.
As I sing one straight note,
I press the pedal down all the way and harmony come in and slowly let it up and the volume get softer.and i think it might be my voice changing, so i ran a sine wave, this would stay constant , it still when up and down in volume .. or are the curve presets set to change the volume ( but still again my pedal are just off or on )
you must have your harmony turn on ,and the pedal/ footswitch , function must be Mic Harmony Level.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Duby

Won't get a chance to try it until later BUT why have you selected "Mic Harmony Level" for an ON/OFF pedal?

I use my switch pedal for simply switching (toggling) the harmony on or off - in fact my singer controls the pedal... but mine is set to Harmony ON/OFF toggle.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
export-B

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Interesant. I simply can not imagine playing a keyboard without a sustain pedal. I have a sustain pedal and a pedal expression. With the expression I can add to a solo instrument his expression-soul. I highly recommend.
Polysix, Poly 800, DW6000, DW8000, DS8, M1, PA1X Pro, PA2X Pro, Kronos X 61, PA3X Pro, PA3X LE, PA700, PA4X 76, PA1000, Kronos SE and now Nautilus 73 and Casio PXS3000, Cubase 12, NI Ultimate 12, Komplete Kontrol S49,ReFX 3.0,Roland FR1X.
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: harmony Reply with quote

export-B
I do use a sustain pedal, I can not play well with out it , you are right there.

Karmathamever .
at one time I did use a expression pedal to bring in the harmony ,this is why i use Mic Harmony Level.
I do not use ( Mic Harmony - on / off ) you have to touch the pedal once to turn it on and again to turn it off.and it sound chop up and i play with both hands and can"t turn the volume button down or up, and I think you download my backup.set you can see how I have it all ...
again If you get time when ever ..
Have a Great New Year
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Duby - please bear with me - I am confused a little:-

You say "....i use a damper pedal ( that is on or off ) it is not a continuous pedal..."
and you also say "....at one time I did use a expression pedal to bring in the harmony ,this is why i use Mic Harmony Level. ...."

Unless I have misunderstood, using an ON/OFF pedal (like damper) is not designed to work with a setting which requires a "continuous style" pedal. Using a switch pedal with a setting which expects an expression pedal surely will not work well.

What exactly do you want to happen with your pedal - I am guessing a momental hold down for OFF and release for ON? Sorry - just not following properly....

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: harmony Reply with quote

Just save all your settings do a backup and then just change under
Global controllers

the pedal/ footswitch

then pick Function

and pick Mic Harmony Level.

then pick

S-shaped with offset response,

don't use Talk Over under mike setting.

Then just play a cord and sing and when you press on the pedal Harmony should come in and out not just often on and then by pressing the paddle harder and letting up softly or slowly the volume will diminish.. If you sing and press on the pedal slowly the harmony comes in soft at first and gets louder.
So now I think I know what it is when you first press the pedal the harmony voices do not come in instantaneously for some reason they come in softly or the volume comes up slowly almost like an envelope and is the same when you release the pedal by releasing it slowly , the volume dies away or the release of the volume is slower. If you have your mic Harmony function to harmony off or on an actual little different. So those are my settings if you want to experiment but no need to got it figured out thanks for your help.

Happy New Year to all..
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - I understand what you are expecting now - thanks.

However, I really do not believe the "Mic Harmony Level" option is designed as a feature for a switch pedal.
Korg seem to refer to this for expression pedal use.

I really cannot imagine this working in the manner you are wanting - BUT I may be wrong.

I will try this later today out of curiosity.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Duby - I just set it up exactly the same as you have

I have an ON/OFF switch pedal (similar to your Monteray pedal) set to "Mic Harmony Level" with the "S" shaped response curve

My PA4X did exactly what I would expect and that is the same as Harmony ON/OFF - the pedal cannot send velocity or any continuous message - it is just a momentary switch - on or off.

You have to use an expression/volume pedal to achieve your requirement of harmony volume control.

If your pedal actually does change and mess with the harmony volume I would be thinking that there is some issue with the PA4X or the pedal - but in this scenario it should be an ON or OFF for harmony volume and nothing in between.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only plausible explanation is that the pedal contacts are intermittent, and the keyboard is "averaging" the duty cycle of the contacts, which varies with pedal pressure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: