Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samples not loaded

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kronos2019

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Samples not loaded Reply with quote

Hello,
I have been using korg arrangers mostly and never felt the need of a workstation. But ever since the Kronos was revealed, I've wanted it.
At last I got a Kronos 2 a few months ago and it's been a dream ever since.

I have read the manual a few times and experimented with pcg:s and trying to set it up properly for live performances.

Since I play a lot of middle eastern music, I've had to purchase a few sets containing ethnic sounds and therefore many samples.
I've been trying to merge all of these sets to my own set containing only the most important samples and pcgs for me.
Recently I've experienced a few problems with my Kronos and I want to know if it's only a bug or if something is wrong here.

So this is my problem:
- I clear the ram from the global- Auto-load screen.
- I load PCG from a set in the SSD.
- Samples not loaded shows at the top and I try to load required samples.
- Depending on what set the pcg is loaded from, sometimes it's possible to load the needed samples.
But sometimes the keyboard just freezes as soon as I try to enter the page "load required samples" and I have to reboot it again.
Have you experienced such an issue?

I have tried to see where the problem is, so I load each set and see how the samples are saved in the ram memory.
For some sets the samples are loaded in old ram and that makes it impossible to load the required samples if the keyboard actually doesn't freeze.
The sets that load to ram mono it's usually not a problem to load the required samples.

So I think I know where the problem is when it can't load the samples and I just get a message about it. But I can't understand why the keyboard freezes. Is this a bug or do I have a faulty keyboard?
Otherwise it's working just fine and I'm able to load sets without any problem and it never freezes when playing pcg:s.

Best regards
John
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Samples not loaded Reply with quote

Kronos2019 wrote:

So this is my problem:
- I clear the ram from the global- Auto-load screen.
- I load PCG from a set in the SSD.
- Samples not loaded shows at the top and I try to load required samples.
- Depending on what set the pcg is loaded from, sometimes it's possible to load the needed samples.
But sometimes the keyboard just freezes as soon as I try to enter the page "load required samples" and I have to reboot it again.
Have you experienced such an issue?

There is nor bug either faulty Kronos of yours , it seems mostly media or custom resources error that leads to system crash.
If you're sure that a SET is working and has been tested in another Kronos then copy the whole folder of set resources for instance
"Oriental" , in your Kronos root SSD.
The proper setup should include at least the bellow 4 files in folder Oriental
-Oriental (folder containing custom samples)
-Oriental.KSC (loads samples in Ram mode)
-Oriental_user.KSC (loads samples in streaming from disk mode)
-Oriental.PCG (loaded samples references)

As first keep a back-up of your PCG
- Load in append mode Oriental_user.KSC
- then load Oriental.PCG and all should work fine !
If you see samples are not loaded in custom Programs , then Oriental setup is managed wrong and there are missing references in KSC files !
If setup seems to work fine , then place Oriental_user.KSC permanently in Global/Auto-load menu and done ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Kronos2019

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anthony,
Thank you very much for the fast reply.
It actually made everything clear.
I also did some further experimenting and it all got much clearer.
I realized that it's not possible to load required samples unless all the banks have been remapped.
Just want to warn everybody out there that if you want to avoid freezings, make sure to remap all sounds before. Kronos is a beast but it takes time and requires a lot of reading the manual to understand.

Best regards
John
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2019 wrote:

I realized that it's not possible to load required samples unless all the banks have been remapped.

Nope ... this is not accurate , PCG contents have nothing to do with samples loading !
KSC files (in Auto-Load) will determine of what samples will be loaded and PCG file will address them or not in your Programs/Ws etc.
Remapping is required only with bad managed setup by the author or depends on Kronos model PCG structure K1-X-2 accordingly
that setup was created , if factory resources are used !
Stay focused on certified sound developers and do not load in your Kronos any freeware crap you find on internet !
All Ethnic users face the same issue , they use the same awful low quality small samples of Triton series for 20 years and
Kronos do not deserve such a treatment ! Wink

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Kronos2019

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again Anthony.
To be sure I don't get sudden freezes while trying to load required samples I have re-mapped all my sets and made sure that all sounds are using the most recent mapping for K2.
Anyway I've been trying to merge a few sets and have had mixed results.
I hope you can help me with this one..
After re-mapping all the soundbanks, I go to save the set once again as following:
Disk-New Directory- save MS and sample data- sample mode data and below all is checked
Then I also save the pcg again in the same folder.
I repeat this for all the sets and when that is done I go to global and enter the KSC-auto load and I add the new ksc_userbanks.
I load all the three sets and then go to each pcg and load sounds from each pcg that I want in my new set.

Here is the catch though, one of the sets is working just fine no matter what programs I try to load from the three sets. But the other two sets are acting wierd. I load a pcg bank from set A and it works fine but when loading another pcg from set B the samples are not found, so naturally I try to load the required samples even though they should be loaded in the ksc_autoloads, it says that the missing samples are in set A. But I'm sure that they are supposed to be in set B (KSC_B_userbank).

What have I done wrong here?
This thing has been driving me nuts tha past week.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect your issue there !
You have created 3 sets with KSC files where 2 of them have the same samples ID and when loading one of them samples
are missing and system is messed up !
For instance , if you create and save samples as UserA set , an ID is automatically created for them , so if you re-edit those
samples of UserA.KSC , adding samples or deleting some of them and then you save contents under another name f.e.
UserB.KSC this SET maintains the ID of previous one and this is not a new set but the same messed up UserA.KSC that
system is trying to find samples from folder UserA set ...
Custom Samples Rule : When loading new user samples/multisamples , always do it in clear mode where always a new samples ID is created

So , in your case do the following :
Let outside the properly working A set (with it's KSC) and edit the other 2 with the following way.
- Open folder of Set 2 and load samples.KSC (not _user.KSC) , in clear mode , and then "Save sampling data" only under
the same name overwriting existing , but with clicked the bottom square option "save under new samples ID"
This will loose references with programs , so now remap the MS of programs manually according to the new samples bank
order and save PCG with new remapped contents in the same folder and place Set2_user.KSC in auto-load.
Now this set will work properly.
- Do exactly the same order of things for the third Set 3.
From now on every set will have it's own samples ID and won't be messed up again , no matter of what set you're loading !
- Also learn how to save specific Program and Combination banks in PCG for every Set and have all contents under one solid PCG file.

Hope this helps

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2019 wrote:
What have I done wrong here? This thing has been driving me nuts tha past week.

The Kronos can freeze if it can't find the stuff it is looking for. Read the conversation below, especially everything mentioned by Dan at Korg. Practice and apply his examples using your own files and you will solve your problem.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=93039
Kronos2019

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank you Anthony and KK for your inputs about my problem.
Due to the Christmas holidays I paused my work with the Kronos and therefore excuse my late reply to you guys.
I did as you described Anthony and it worked out.
The Kronos is a beast and takes time learning. I don't think I have ever read a keyboard manual so many times over and over.
Although I have encountered a small issue with a few pcg:s not playing correctly with silent notes that play sometimes and sometimes not. I guess I'm gonna find a way to work around that also soon.

Best regards
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sounds where notes play intermittently could be expansion packs that have not yet been paid for and authorised. These sounds fade in and out during playing.
Kronos2019

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The sounds where notes play intermittently could be expansion packs that have not yet been paid for and authorised. These sounds fade in and out during playing.

Actually they were playing just fine in the original set but after the remapping and new samples id something must have gone wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: