Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Kronos on it's way out?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're all on the same hymn sheet on this. I just hope that Korg do not, any time soon, End-Of-Life Kronos
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that Korg makes a spin off Kronos like instrument that knocks our socks off. Something totally different. Like a Kronos in a tablet that drops in flush into a shell. The shell could be a cheap 61 key or a 88 premium weighted.. Then over the years we just swap a new iPad like device to upgrade. Can you imagine the potential it would have? Right now a $229 iPad 2018 has more processing power than a $3000 Kronos sad but true.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
I remind you that you, me and anyone owning an OASYS or Kronos know, at best, about 5 - 10% of its features - so even as is - it represents a vast architecture still mostly to be explored for the firs time.

Any additions or enhancement to that, however light, will sustain Kronos as the most advanced keyboard package there has ever been for some time to come.

You know the reason, why so much gets unexplored in the Kronos by so many?

Thats because of the interface.

If they patch up lets say teh AL-1 with a Gadget like interface, it would all be more accessible.

No reason to replace anything, or add a lot. Just make the things that are there easier accessible.

And they need to adress boot times, thats my number one irritator.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
I remind you that you, me and anyone owning an OASYS or Kronos know, at best, about 5 - 10% of its features - so even as is - it represents a vast architecture still mostly to be explored for the firs time.

Any additions or enhancement to that, however light, will sustain Kronos as the most advanced keyboard package there has ever been for some time to come.

You know the reason, why so much gets unexplored in the Kronos by so many?

Thats because of the interface.

If they patch up lets say teh AL-1 with a Gadget like interface, it would all be more accessible.

No reason to replace anything, or add a lot. Just make the things that are there easier accessible.

And they need to adress boot times, thats my number one irritator.

My mac takes a minute to boot up. So Kronos boot up is no big deal IMO.

I agree the interface is part of the 'problem'. If high level development of AL-1 AND Mod-7 was easier, we would see many more new/complex sounds. Thats probably a gripe in my top 3- lack of AL-1/Mod-7 development.
lunaluna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
And for the love of God, make a 73/76 semi-weighted option. Sheeese.

YES !!!!!!
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Yamaha can make a $1299 Modx with the power of the $3000 Montage? Korg should be able to make a $1299 cheap Kronos. I mean come on Korg you can't let Yamaha 1 up you.. lol Laughing

I've opened up my Kronos and man there is some cheap year 2005 pc parts in that beast.. lol Just imagine what it could be with today's technology. Hats off to the first oled display. Lol
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:
If Yamaha can make a $1299 Modx with the power of the $3000 Montage? Korg should be able to make a $1299 cheap Kronos. I mean come on Korg you can't let Yamaha 1 up you.. lol Laughing

I've opened up my Kronos and man there is some cheap year 2005 pc parts in that beast.. lol Just imagine what it could be with today's technology. Hats off to the first oled display. Lol

yes, surprise. You paid $3000 for old components

Just kidding. we normally buy a keyboard for its excellent sound programming and reliability
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:

That happened in 2010 - the $8000 I paid for an OASYS in 2006 cost Kronos owners $4000 5 years later.

Aside from the updated pianos and live performance features of the Kronos, the OASYS is still the most advanced Workstation ever made (it has superior hardware to the Kronos - better keybed, controllers, I/O, AD and DA converters, ...).

Even the MOD-7 FM engine in OASYS and Kronos is more sophisticated than the Montage FM engine because MOD-7 is a fully modular system.

The point being - spending $4000 on a Kronos is the bargain of the century regarding keyboard technology, still.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
The point being - spending $4000 on a Kronos is the bargain of the century regarding keyboard technology, still.

No, that would be buying my orriginal Kronos 88 for 1800 euro...
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are right. Korg is brilliant to sell 13 year old pc parts for premium $3000 price.

GregC wrote:
Kronos2ison wrote:

yes, surprise. You paid $3000 for old components

Just kidding. we normally buy a keyboard for its excellent sound programming and reliability
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real value is in the sum of the parts, especially the IP in the Kronos OS/software.

Find me the 13 year old PC parts that sound like, and do all that the Kronos does as a package.

Yes it's possible to get something like a good sound production platform and collection of VSTs and a MIDI keyboard, to go part way there on a PC, but that still leaves something that is quite different to the Kronos.
marc1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Find me the 13 year old PC parts that sound like, and do all that the Kronos does as a package.

Exactly, and many of the 2005/2006 era samplesets and VST's didn't sound that great, even some of the NI stuff. Nowadays this might be a whole other story. But let's face it, most of the samplelibraries sound great thanks to extensive sampling and the vast and fast available diskspace. And analog modeling and things like that have profited from more powerful and cheaper Ram and CPU's.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The real value is in the sum of the parts, especially the IP in the Kronos OS/software.

I recall this being part of an argument 7 yrs ago { Kronos time] and possibly sooner.

Many PC/Win advocates were saying they could mostly duplicate Kronos, with a $500 PC plus a midi controller, and whatever samples.

Old debates Very Happy
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the question as the info and specs are all over the internet. Please Google. I really am not here to disparage it's just fact. The cpu is Intel and uses a pc motherboard. Much like a very old discontinued technology "Netbook". Designed as a portable internet device.

The cpu is a Intel Atom D2500 introduced Q3 of 2011.

voip wrote:

Yes it's possible to get something like a good sound production platform and collection of VSTs and a MIDI keyboard, to go part way there on a PC, but that still leaves something that is quite different to the Kronos.

Hopefully this clarifies how outdated the technology is. No debate. As you can see here the i5 is yet a 4000 series and today's current i5 is a 8000 series with much more preformance. I also tried to find a piece of hardware that with similar performance as my only find was a Sony Playstaytion 1 from Dec of 1994 that's 4x more powerful.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:
Hi thanks for the question as the info and specs are all over the internet. Please Google. I really am not here to disparage it's just fact. The cpu is Intel and uses a pc motherboard. Much like a very old discontinued technology "Netbook". Designed as a portable internet device.

The cpu is a Intel Atom D2500 introduced Q3 of 2011.

voip wrote:

Hopefully this clarifies how outdated the technology is. No debate. As you can see here the i5 is yet a 4000 series and today's current i5 is a 8000 series with much more preformance. I also tried to find a piece of hardware that with similar performance as my only find was a Sony Playstaytion 1 from Dec of 1994 that's 4x more powerful.

[g[/img]

I have often said Korg should reduce the price of the K. If I was
President , thats what I would do.

We are all aware of the assembled components. It was studied
7 yrs ago so no surprise. I know Kronos is not my uncle's 10 yr old
Windows PC.

We buy the K for its OS development and excellent sound programming,
various impressive features.

Software programming is king in my book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: