Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early SV1-73 - Is DIY repair of faulty RH3 keybed possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwendt99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Early SV1-73 - Is DIY repair of faulty RH3 keybed possible? Reply with quote

I just got my red SV1-73 (serial 005xxx) out of storage after a couple years and there are so many dead keys that I can't even count them all. Doing the upside down shake thing revived a few keys, but most are still dead (i.e. no sound at all). Whacking the bottom of the unit with my palm on the higher notes side actually revived a few more. Wonderful.

Has anyone identified the actual root-cause mechanical failure in these RH3 keybeds (some folks mentioned the contact strips shifting out of place) ?

And then:
a) what is the actual repair that needs to be done on the RH3 keybed?
b) is this a reasonable DIY activity?

And by "repair" I mean making the SV1 actually reliable and gig-worthy - vertically storable - no keys going dead ever - doesn't require shaking/dropping - etc

Or do I now just have a $1600 paperweight?

UPDATE: I did a tally and currently there are 12 black keys and 7 white keys (randomly located across the keybed) that produce NO sound.

My understanding is that early SV-1 units suffered from a faulty RH3 keybed in which, after the SV-1 had been stored vertically, some keys would go dead (and potentially could be revived by either the upside-down shaking procedure or dropping each end of the SV-1 6"-8" onto hard surface yeouch no thanks)

So,
? is it possible to DIY repair this failure-prone RH3 keybed to make it actually reliable? (I'm surely not the only one who stores their keyboards vertically between gigs)
? What actually needs to be done to the RH3 keybed to accomplish this?

Thx

Last edited by jwendt99 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be rubber contact strip deterioration over time, which will happen much more quickly if the storage environment has undergone large temperature and humidity swings. Fine dust is another enemy of delicate assemblies of any sort. Some recovery may be possible by repeatedly playing the keys. The contact strips can be replaced. It's also worth checking and reseating the multiway interconnecting ribbon cable connectors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: