Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS REPLACEMENT BLUES?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, how long it takes to develop a completely redesigned workstation? 2 years? 3 years? 4 years? So even if Korg came up with a brand new model, it would still be based on a somewhat old hardware technology, right? I don't really know as I'm totally clueless about these things. Just guessing here.

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:
Generally, how long it takes to develop a completely redesigned workstation? 2 years? 3 years? 4 years? So even if Korg came up with a brand new model, it would still be based on a somewhat old hardware technology, right? I don't really know as I'm totally clueless about these things. Just guessing here.

Not necessary. Starting from zero, of course, yes. But as it were the case for the Oasis/Kronos transition, they kept many elements.
If Korg has decided to replace present Kronos with an enhancing one, they would't not have to start from beginning, rewrite all the code and so on.
Just as example : suppose they have decided to enhance : 64bits system, recent motherboard powerfull processor, new and larger multitouch display, etc...It's not a fully new WS.

On another hand, if my informations are true, Oasys were stopped in 2009 and first Kronos appeared in 2001. So, there were no production during 2 years.
As far as I know, Kronos is still in production.
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need workstation there is no competition out there to challenge Kronos so Korg is not in hurry to upgrade it simple as that what it will come as successor nobody knows I don't think it is as simple as new motherboard and processor etc .Maybe a new concept we can only guess.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
If you need workstation there is no competition out there to challenge Kronos so Korg is not in hurry to upgrade it simple as that what it will come as successor nobody knows I don't think it is as simple as new motherboard and processor etc .Maybe a new concept we can only guess.

Korg can do both.

Keep on supporting the K2 for another year or 2. They have a handle on parts availability and cost of assembly. Many folks have 2 Kronos. I cans see having a 2nd K to increase longevity of my material.

With that, Korg could be project planning a hybrid synth , lets say $2500 , that has some Kronos strengths but is a new concept, feature rich/exciting.

Korg owners are loyal and enthusiastic. I am open to a hybrid exciting new feature rich synth by Korg in addition to the Kronos.
Irishmusico

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Kronos 61 owner of 15 months now.I spent the best part of a year learning what it does.I am still not done.It keeps getting bigger.If you are a veteran of 7 years you probably have it figured out.

I bought some KApro orchestral sounds recently and now I feel I have another new keyboard! I hear people talking about processing power and as keyboard players,newer generally means better.

I suppose if you want to expand possibilities then more processing power would be a given..To be able to update your processor and board.Maybe the ability to load other vst synths would be good and more program/combi memories just so you can load in another 10.000 sounds that you may never need.I have my favourite Yamaha DX and Roland D50 sounds(From Irish Acts),M1,DW8000,O1W etc.I am nitpicking here really.

On the whole to own a keyboard that has the power and the range that the Kronos has is a dream.In this day and age where everything has a limited shelf life I am not excited about the next one.I am excited about this one.

Whatever comes next,I think this one will be like an old Mercedes.As long as it works there will be no reason to replace it.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irishmusico wrote:
If you are a veteran of 7 years you probably have it figured out.

Nope, not yet. Got my first Kronos in 2011 - Still discovering what it can do.

I'm in no rush to upgrade.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+100

Got mine in 2012 - if my Kronos died today, I would immediately go buy another - wouldn't look around, wouldn't consider an alternative because there isn't one!!!

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
+100

Got mine in 2012 - if my Kronos died today, I would immediately go buy another - wouldn't look around, wouldn't consider an alternative because there isn't one!!!

Very Happy

good news- I don't see +7 yr old K's going away. Yours should last for many more years.

Its tempting to buy a 2nd K because its such a great board, even with the aged processing
janrhansen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:

It really shouldn't be that hard to evolve the current Kronos 2 to a Kronos 3

They didn't redesign the system when going from Oasys to Kronos and they wouldn't need to now either.

1. The system is running on linux. All they have to do is pick a fairly cheap Intel i5/i7 mobile board, a new higher res Display, have their coders update drivers for the new hardware, and then recompile the system for use with multi core support and 64bit instead of 32. Zap Zap .. new Kronos 3.

But as stated .. Korg is not in a hurry, because practically all other brands have aborted Workstation keyboards. They have no competition.

Only thing I can think of as a competion wich is a completely other beast is a Wersi OAX wich is also based on a PC, and can load vst's beside its own sound generation.

Just imagine .. a Kronos 3 wich could load your 128Gb Hauptwerk underneath .. *dreaming...*
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janrhansen wrote:
[qe.

Its really shouldn't be that hard to evolve the current Kronos 2 to a Kronos 3

They didn't redesign the system when going from Oasys to Kronos and they wouldn't need to now either.

1. The system is running on linux. All they have to do is pick a fairly cheap Intel i5/i7 mobile board, a new higher res Display, have their coders update drivers for the new hardware, and then recompile the system for use with multi core support and 64bit instead of 32. Zap Zap .. new Kronos 3.

But as stated .. Korg is not in a hurry, because practically all other brands have aborted Workstation keyboards. They have no competition.

...*[/quote]

competition ? To me that is ' looking in the read view mirror'. I am interested in co's that look ahead 5 years and lead. Not follow. Follow is easier.

a slightly better Kronos is 'easier' for Korg. It would solve some items on the 'wish list '.

The problem with an incremental improved Kronos is ' will it sell for $3500 and convince 20,000 { pick a #] current Kronos owners to make the switch ".

I would like Korg to go further , not think ' short term '. But I am not the President with several hundred employees. Its not easy when there is a lot at stake on a flag ship product facing EOL
Track 7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding, I had a bad dream about the Kronos 3 last week.

In the dream, a box arrived in the mail and I could not wait to open it. It was during NAMM, and I had just seen a breaking news video on YT about the Kronos 3 being introduced. Somehow, magically, one had been shipped to me, a lucky first recipient.

I opened the box to find a clunky hunk of machinery about the size and shape of an Akai MPC -- yes, square, not really a keyboard at all.

There were keys, but instead of black and white, they were black and charcoal gray so I could hardly tell them apart. Also, the keys were arranged in three rows, kind of like on an old tiered organ but with less than two octaves per row and little if any elevation from one row to the next.

The rest of the contraption had some wobbly switches and clunky buttons. It was like a cross between an MPC and an antique manual typewriter.

I am not making this up. I woke with great relief that it was only a dream and that my original Kronos from 2012 was sitting safely in the corner on its stand, waiting for me to spend another six happy years with it.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
No kidding, I had a bad dream about the Kronos 3 last week.

. I woke with great relief that it was only a dream and that my original Kronos from 2012 was sitting safely in the corner on its stand, waiting for me to spend another six happy years with it.

We all have odd dreams, strange dreams. I believe they are mostly sub conscious thoughts rattling around. They might be cathartic in a way. I wouldn't run to the bank with them or take them too far. Mostly sub conscious stuff.
janrhansen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track 7 wrote:
There were keys, but instead of black and white, they were black and charcoal gray so I could hardly tell them apart. Also, the keys were arranged in three rows, kind of like on an old tiered organ but with less than two octaves per row and little if any elevation from one row to the next.

The rest of the contraption had some wobbly switches and clunky buttons. It was like a cross between an MPC and an antique manual typewriter.

Roflmao

what a horrible dream

But serious.

I really doubt Korg will hit us with anything revolutionary anytime soon

But would be nice to see a new model with uptodate hardware and some updates to the system, with better integration with Mac/PC daws.
Also the posibilites of using new engines/plugins. I again doubt Korg is going that way, but would be darn nice if you had a system that maybe only shipped with say 8gb ram but had the posibility of at least 64gb and had a vst host.

Would gladly pay 1k more for a model that could completely make a laptop or receptor redundant on stage
hans1966

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends, I'm thinking about something. And what would happen if Korg surprises us with a keyboard with functions of arranger and synthesizer, with a wider language for the import and creation of samples, for example that in addition to supporting WAV, AIFF, SOUNDFONT and KORG, also be compatible wirh KONTAK, and other suppliers. it' is in terms of samples, without forgetting that it already comes with different sound engines included at the factory. as for the arranging section you can come with an arsenal of new and renovated styles, taken from the PA series, with superior sound quality, with 16-channel WAV audio recorder, and 16-channel MIDI recorder, with 256 notes of polyphony and 1'200,000 events per song. It's just my speculation, I hope it does not bother anyone. regards

I choose the Peace of God!
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they do but I don't think they will now. It is still the absolute best hardware synth/workstation. While I do believe they have something in development, they can afford to wait and refine it because of the sustaining relativity of the Kronos. There are a lot of Kronos owners that would more than likely quickly upgrade to a new Korg workstation with significant improvements added to current Kronos capabilities.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: