Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A better vocoder?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: A better vocoder? Reply with quote

I wasn't going to make a thread about this, but then another idea hit me... first let me explain:
Liviou2004 asked if there was a way to get more out of the vocoder beyond the usual so I decided to put five formant shifted vocoders in parallel. The results were interesting, but not spectacular

After the video though I got to thinking about what goes into a vocoder... Envelope followers and bandpass filters. You know what has both of those? The MS-20EX. So now the goal is to create a 32band vocoder combi out of 16 dual EXi programs.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, Charles! Thanks as always for your continued efforts to help us all get the most from our Kronos! Sounded like it added a bit of clarity to me.

So this is a 13 band in, 65 band out vocoder when 5 are run in parallel I guess?

I’ve always thought the Kronos vocoder was pretty adequate. I’ve A/B tested it against the one in the Intellijel Shapeshifter (64 bands), and the Shapeshifter wins, but still, the K gets the job done.

A few other things I’ve found can help increase clarity:

-Turning up the Modulator High Mix Param a bit can help

-If your carrier patch doesn’t already have some oscillator detuning applied, adding a bit can help

-Of course with vocals, exaggerating the consonants, transients, and sibilants as you speak can improve things

Be interested to see how the 32x MS-20 experiment turns out.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
So this is a 13 band in, 65 band out vocoder when 5 are run in parallel I guess?

Ah I didn’t even think of that, you’re absolutely right! The formant shift isn’t adding more envelope followers for the modulator so yeah it’s technically 13 bands in and 65 bands out.

Lightbringer wrote:
Be interested to see how the 32x MS-20 experiment turns out.

The above revelation makes me more excited about it too! I stayed up kind a late last night tinkering and writing a bunch of notes about out how to do it. Maybe I’ll live stream the process today.

Great tips btw 👍
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: