Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Krome EX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hans1966

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: New Krome EX Reply with quote

KROME, the best-selling synth focused on packing the most usable sounds into an easy to use platform, has received a major refresh. Updated to meet the needs of the current music scene, KROME EX has a special emphasis on sounds that can immediately fit into productions of all types.

In addition to standard sounds that will never grow old, KROME EX provides numerous new programs and PCM data, including piano programs prepared specifically for this product. This instrument provides high-quality and immediately-usable sounds that take full advantage of the KROME's high performance specs. The new body also features a newly revamped build and look to accompany the new sounds.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/krome_ex/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2UZR7Gx-Cg

I choose the Peace of God!
narkosys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the new Krome is the old Krome but with more PCM memory and added sounds. Woopty f*ck*ng do. And it still has that dumb ass SD card slot. You would think that Korg would have figured out USB by now.

They could have, and should have, made something to compete with the MoDX and whatever Roland is coming out with but Korg failed miserably.
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So the new Krome is the old Krome but with more PCM memory and added sounds. Woopty f*ck*ng do. And it still has that dumb ass SD card slot. You would think that Korg would have figured out USB by now.

I agree, it's unfortunite that they choose to go this route, but we will probably see the begin of a whole new product line next year.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This, one more ridiculous pseudo-"upgrade" from Korg for serious music making, will not help selling Kromes against the much better Yamaha offer one bit.

It's obviously more important to Korg to sell east coast synth noise in Volcas, available through a silly tiny controller UI.
Joe Gerardi
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely underwhelming, and again, a crappy keyboard. The first Combi could be so much more with the ability to use aftertouch to control the volume of different parts, but in the great quest to neuter the originality of keyboard players, it's not there...

Honestly: in my opinion, people that want all this automation would be much better off with a Lowrey or Wersi organ. They have all those drums and bass stuff, and the sounds are pretty much on a par with these. ( I would have included Yamaha Electones, but they're not available in the US any more.)

..Joe
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always next year... Laughing I'm sure when Korg finally releases something new it will be great. But for now yawn.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big dissapointment, seems allready a lost battle against the modx..
padking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird!
Korg is doing what Yamaha did with the Motif series. They are trying to buy time ?

Padking
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing whatsoever in this announcement to make me want to trade in my Krome.

It's a solid system, very usable, it has served me well.

But the same may be said for the Kronos. Krome and Kronos, they just put fresh lipstick on the girls and sent them back out.

At least the two Volca entrants are more interesting in their own right. I might well pick up one, or both.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll this one I would want to collect for sure.

https://youtu.be/-ympDOMrzUY

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
I see nothing whatsoever in this announcement to make me want to trade in my Krome.

It's a solid system, very usable, it has served me well.

But the same may be said for the Kronos. Krome and Kronos, they just put fresh lipstick on the girls and sent them back out.

At least the two Volca entrants are more interesting in their own right. I might well pick up one, or both.

" has received a major refresh. Updated to ... "

Tsk tsk, Korg marketing. This does not sound like a ' major refresh '.

I agree with your sentiment. Korg has mostly descended to cosmetic changes for 2019.

So we had our NAMM 2019 and we see what Korg's priorities are.

I see 1 company that has vision. And they follow through.

That would be Spectrasonics.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame how Korg failed to recognize what performers wanted from first Krome.
Many performers went through a great deal to use custom samples. Not all markets use bread and butter sounds only.
If Korg only enabled sample loading (not sampling itself, that would raise the production costs probably), Krome EX would be a hit, I'm certain of it.
The technology is there - SD cards are huge now and cost peanuts, so there is no reasoning in not allowing maybe 1GB of user samples to be loaded; even few hundreds of MB would be enough for most musicians. The engine is there - even first Krome can be and is being tricked to load user samples.
So omitting such a simple, easy and probably inexpensive upgrade is just lazy.
Shame. I like Krome and would buy even first one if it had sample loading.
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Krome was never and will never be a hit because of its faulty key bed. You cant fully depress the keys like normal. They hinge improperly or like an organ key. So if you are an Organ player it will feel wonderful until you feel the wobble of the keys as they are cheap flimsy and exactly why I had bought a Kronos to avoid those flaws.

shrike wrote:
Shame how Korg failed to recognize what performers wanted from first Krome.
Many performers went through a great deal to use custom samples. Not all markets use bread and butter sounds only.
If Korg only enabled sample loading (not sampling itself, that would raise the production costs probably), Krome EX would be a hit, I'm certain of it.
The technology is there - SD cards are huge now and cost peanuts, so there is no reasoning in not allowing maybe 1GB of user samples to be loaded; even few hundreds of MB would be enough for most musicians. The engine is there - even first Krome can be and is being tricked to load user samples.
So omitting such a simple, easy and probably inexpensive upgrade is just lazy.
Shame. I like Krome and would buy even first one if it had sample loading.
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos2ison wrote:
The Krome was never and will never be a hit because of its faulty key bed. You cant fully depress the keys like normal. They hinge improperly or like an organ key. So if you are an Organ player it will feel wonderful until you feel the wobble of the keys as they are cheap flimsy and exactly why I had bought a Kronos to avoid those flaws.

This is absolutely correct: although I've defended the Krome keybed here as at least "playable", it's not very good, and I don't use my Krome 73 very much, even though it has the sounds and the light weight for gigging...I'm always surprised when an otherwise quality medium-range instrument like the Krome has a sub-par keybed like this (ref: the new Yamaha MODX7, although it's not as bad as the Krome's)...but then again the keybed must be a significant part of a keyboard instrument's cost - the cost per key multiplied by the number of keys...

df
Kronos2ison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Yamaha MODX6 and yes the keyed isn't as premium as the Kronos or Montage but it's much more sturdy/playable than the Krome. The Krome's keybed is so bad I refused to buy it just because of the cheap chimpsy feel they have. I've played cheap $300-500 Casio that are 2x the quality and is satisfactory compared the the Junk bed in the Krome. Heck I bought an Clearanced $50 EMU Xboard61 controller that felt better than the Krome. I could go on for hours as the Kromes key bed is imo the worst playing keys ever right next to mini keys of the MS-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: