Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos OS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Kronos OS? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

OK, a quick heads up here. There's been some talk lately about the new Kronos "SE" and the additional libraries.

This morning, on Korg UK's website, an item of interest, though not related directly to the Kronos...

New PA4X NEXT OS release.
https://www.korg.com/products/synthesizers/pa4x/v3.php

Considering how long the PA4X has been out, about as long as the Kronos 2, it seems a little odd that Korg would release a fancy OS for an arranger and leave out one of the most expensive workstations.

Now then, User interface improvements seem of interest, Could be ported over the Kronos maybe?. Besides this, there's quite a bit which could be done here.

Here's what I'm asking from our community of Kronos owners.

What features do you want from a new Kronos OS? let's not worry about the hardware here because the CPU and mainboard can handle more than the current OS and due to the RAM channels available, the board can handle 8GB or more RAM.

If you can give details of what you would like to see in the Kronos OS updates, we can present this as a petition to Korg. If you think I'm joking or wasting time, I'm not. I am willing to put my neck on the line to Korg so that we Kronos users get what we NEED, not necessarily what we fully want, but what is IMPORTANT for us as owners, users, instrument library developers, producers, etc.

If you are interested in doing this, either contribute to this thread or PM me. I will be submitting an official contact with Korg Japan as soon as all the data is acquired. It is time for us to ensure we are looked after, our voices are heard, etc. so Are you up to doing this?

To kick things off, here are my suggested needs...
1: Complete recode of the Kronos OS Kernel to 64 bit support for larger RAM access.
2: Change of Partitioning method from EXT2 (outdated max 120gb) to EXT3 which supports larger drives.
3: User Interface improvement to complement the new Korg PA4X NEXT OS or be of better contrast in low light environments including colour changes for those with visual impairments and light dependency issues including eye strain, etc.
4: The ability to expand the user directory source, instead of Aa, Bb, etc, open the library resource to Ab, Ac, Bd, etc, so that users can load more libraries without swapping or overwriting PCG loads, etc.
5: More support for Korg's Kronos Editor to allow FULL access including Disk mode, etc for users who struggle with the touch screen and want better access from a mac or PC host.
6: A new way of dealing with Kronos Restore Media. time to ditch DVD media as the entire idea of using optical media requires a "Compatible DVDRW drive" which does become interesting when the recommended drive advised by ?Korg no longer exists and has been replaced by other drives. As users report issues with compatibility of OS install media and optical drives, it's time to go the digital route, Offer the ability to create a USB HDD or USB pen drive to perform this restore and install procedure. After all, the OS and firnware updates utilise USB instruction, but not the complete restore / install media.
7: Kronos Diagnostics. If a user has an issue, such as an SSD failure, at present, there's no direct proven way to 100% confirm this. Other than rebooting and keeping fingers crossed the OS loads. It would be useful to have a diagnostics utility within the Kronos you could boot into to run RAM, CPU, GPU, Controller, Audio and other tests, considering that the principle of the Kronos is based on an Intel mainboard.

Here ends my personal suggestions / requests. I would like to hear from you all. I do however ask that if a user has mentioned a feature request, that it is not repeated, this is so that I can collate the information and draft the document. Once completed, I will upload a copy of the document. The document will refer to this website, if Sharp is willing for this to happen, I shall discuss this with him off list. If so, I ask those who submit their requests to provide their username or real name and country of residence, that's all I ask, this shows the demographic of users worldwide owning machines and their experiences.

Cheers.

Lew

P.S: I wish it to be known that I have no intention of directly treading on anyone's toes, especially Korg Employees who I'm told visit here. My intention is to encourage more communication between Korg and it's customers. Think of OS developers like Microsoft and Apple. You can submit user requests, bug reports, etc so that updates which come out, would POTENTIALLY receive some of the functions requested, in order to improve the OS in question. This is why there should at least be better channels of communication between korg and customers worldwide. I say again, for a customer to spend nearly £3000 on a Kronos workstation, it's a lot of money to invest to find little support from the software spectrum of the instrument. If you look at developers like Nord with the stage 3, there have been a number of OS updates and builds released to help solve problems, add new features, etc. Yes it takes work, but that work is based on customer feedback.

Last edited by LewTheKeyboardGuy on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam CA
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was actually the 2nd fancy update for the Pa4x.

LewTheKeyboardGuy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam CA wrote:

exactly my point lol. the Pa4X gets more attention for updates than the kronos, yet, go into any high street music dealers and ask for a korg PA4x and they say "we don't do them"

lol
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong priorities may happen here and there.

But wrong priorities for 3 1/2 years or more is another story.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Wrong priorities may happen here and there.

But wrong priorities for 3 1/2 years or more is another story.

Hey Jim, speaking of priorities, have you seen the new Kross 2 in 4 different flavors ?

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/kross2/#se

I think I might get all 4 flavors, and surround myself with orange, blueberry,
cherry and green apple keyboards. Very Happy Wink
striphio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing that I lack in setlist mode is fast switching between different setlist's during live play on gigs. Setlist mode is mode that a lot of musicians use a lot on gigs. My main concept of organizing sounds on kronos is via setlists, so i can have sounds that i frequently use during gigs fast reachable. Some type of sounds are in setlist 0, some on 1, 2 and so on...
It's kind hard, slow and annoying when i want to select sounds from different setlist, every time i must touch small setlist select tab on upper left corner of the screen and select desired setlist manualy or with num keys. My suggestions are :

- When we are in setlist mode, setlist physical button is no use, so instead to touch on screen setlist tab, we just hit setlist button and then we can immediately enter setlist number with numerical keys.

- In setlist mode bank buttons are also without use, so it would be nice that we can assign them to different setlist (setlists 0 to 13, or user configurable)

- Another useful way for using bank buttons is that we can set favorite combis or program fast accessible at these 14 buttons. We all have some programs or combis that we frequently use on gigs in various songs, so it would be nice to have them all the time available with one button click.

- To add setlist entries more customization like different karma scene, mix scene, key select option (in addition to volume, hold time, trans)so that we can store same combination with different adjustments for various use in setlist.

Also, global transpose should not move split points and not affect drum tracks i dont see any logic here.

I would like that we have more options with mono legato function, so that we can set different portamento time for 3 semitone range and different for highest note range while playing legato (for sax and woodwinds, or that programs play mono-legato on 3 semitone range and above is poly (it would be great for electric guitars), smother sound transitions when use mono-legato-offsets option between samples.

When using hi gain types of effects on leads or guitar its really frustrating that expression pedal affect amount of insert effect in sound along with volume, so it behave totally different than other sounds. If we play some el. guitar or lead with other sounds when we want to play quietly its impossible to have same volume ratio betwen sounds with and without hi-gain effect.

It would be nice that we can have different mix scenes in combis so that we can set different volume settings of tracks for each scene or different scale key, splits...
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply, yes simply, a true sequencer

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
Sam CA wrote:

exactly my point lol. the Pa4X gets more attention for updates than the kronos, yet, go into any high street music dealers and ask for a korg PA4x and they say "we don't do them"

lol

I think its relevant to determine resources.

This Korg Arranger is +3 yrs old.

Korg Italy was the team responsible for the Pa4x.

This may have changed.

Last edited by GregC on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I’d like to see a significant increase in polyphony.

Regards
Vas
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
NormC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
Sam CA wrote:

lol
Kronos has had multiple updates since its release. Just from 2015 when I got mine they have done this:

3.1.2 OS was released in Feb 2017. 3.0.3 OS was back in July of 2015. 3.0.4 sometime after and 3.1.0 was Dec 2016 and added quick split function but it had bugs so it was replaced with 3.1.2. There were a couple sub system firmware revisions as well.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormC wrote:
LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
Sam CA wrote:

lol
Kronos has had multiple updates since its release. Just from 2015 when I got mine they have done this:

3.1.2 OS was released in Feb 2017. 3.0.3 OS was back in July of 2015. 3.0.4 sometime after and 3.1.0 was Dec 2016 and added quick split function but it had bugs so it was replaced with 3.1.2. There were a couple sub system firmware revisions as well.

to be clear, 3.1.0 in Dec 2016 w/ quick split function was the last material OS update.

In tech and in business, there is a 'what have you done for me lately ' attitude.

Since Korg is a business and utilizes technology, my position [as it pertains to Kronos ] is that 2 years is a long time for 'non development '.

I am well aware, Korg does not 'owe ' the Kronos community a feature rich
OS update. Many say 'they don't have to'. Thats fine for that group.

However, Korg helped create a discerning and demanding customer base by launching Kronos in 2011. The Korg web site underlines this.

So, its to be expected, that many Kronos owners are going to be demanding.
And discerning. Many of us have ambitious music plans and gear selection is a critical factor. Its perfectly ok to be demanding of your +$3000 keyboard plus what money was spent to expand it.

For example, there is a successful keyboard co named Nord. You can research how they support their loyal customers. Yes, their keyboards are expensive.
But they hold excellent resale value. I consider Nord support and ongoing upgrades to be ' best in class'. I think its fair to compare 'support philosophy '.
NormC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
NormC wrote:
LewTheKeyboardGuy wrote:
Sam CA wrote:

lol

to be clear, 3.1.0 in Dec 2016 w/ quick split function was the last material OS update.

Correct, but it was broken and replaced in Feb 2017 which was a pretty good turn around. From bug ridden release on Dec 22, 2016 to fixed release on Feb 24, 2017.
Galf2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like at least 32 Free User Banks.

The Kronos user can buy sound libraries, download them from the Internet and share with friends. That amount of Free User Banks which is currently absolutely not enough. Doesn't Korg understand this?
NormC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galf2 wrote:
Hello,

I would like at least 32 Free User Banks.

How many do you have now? I see 21 active and you can store as much as you have room for on your SSD drive. I feel you are only limited by your storage size.

Last edited by NormC on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NormC"]
GregC wrote:
NormC wrote:
[

Correct, but it was broken and replaced in Feb 2017 which was a pretty good turn around. From bug ridden release on Dec 22, 2016 to fixed release on Feb 24, 2017.

I understand 3.1.2 was a necessity - it corrected 3.1.0

Just the same, I don't recall any new new features with 3.1.2.
It was a bug fix from what I vaguely recall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: