Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Krome volume problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidlen58

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Krome volume problem Reply with quote

My Krome intermittently has a problem with volume. It can be working perfectly in the house, then I take it to a gig and the volume is next to nothing (with a distorted "crunch" behind it). I need to put it in to a dealer to have it looked at but was just wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem. I solved the particular problem on the night by dropping it on the stand - not an ideal situation.
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intermittent problems are always tricky. I've never had this issue, but if I did, here's the things I would investigate first:

1. Does the problem NEVER occur at home? If not, then what am I doing differently when I play out? From there I would check:

2. Integrity of instrument cables being used

3. That I'm plugging in to the correct outputs

You don't mention whether your sound issue happens in your monitor, or FOH, or both, but depending on the answer I would also check:

4. DI box functioning correctly

5. Personal monitor functioning correctly

6. PA functioning correctly and settings on mixer are correct

Good luck I hope you fix it!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to CowboyNQ's suggestions....

Dirty audio lead contacts are one possible source of poor audio. We tend to take audio jacks a little for granted, but in order to function properly, the plugs and the sockets need to be kept clean, and free of oxidation. It's often possible to tell if this is a likely problem when the output level and/or distortion vary as a jack plug is moved in its jack socket at one end of the cable or the other. It could be at the Krome end or at the PA. It's a simple test and the remedy is a good clean, using some contact cleaner spray like Servisol Super 10, or there's a similar Deoxit product.

It could also be a ground issue at the venue. A simple test for this would be to plug the keyboard into the same mains power outlet strip as the PA system, so they share the same ground. If the problem goes away, then the mains power outlet the Krome was originally plugged into may have an issue. If the audio problems persist, but the sound can be clearly heard on headphones, then the PA system may have an earth leakage problem, and it may be worth suggesting this to the PA guy, as diplomatically as possible.

pianobill55

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: voume prob Reply with quote

did you ever discover what caused it Liquidlen58? Mine is doing what seems to be exactly the same thing.

Tonight seemed ok at home but then played all night with whqt seemed to be half volume output and distortion particularly bad on bass. AAargh. Sending off to the korg people who have been good in NZ in the past. Unfortunately at the other end of the country...
CherryPistolKeys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Another source of distortion Reply with quote

Be careful when programming your own sounds also.

Not sure if many have had this issue, but when using the EQ or any sort of gain makeup in the EFX sections, be very aware that although the chain is completely digital in the box, you can still overdrive gain stages thru multiple FX patches when chaining them together. This can cause a nasty distortion based on how hard one FX output is overdriving the next one's input.

It could sound like or appear to be tied to how many notes you are playing, or multiple notes being sustained. Backing off the sends between the FX sections and turning up the master analog output on the Krome can sometimes solve those issues.

If your bass program is running thru FX, I'd check there as well especially if you did anything to beef up the sound using FX in your combi.
Kurzweil K2000 and K2000R
Roland D-50
Roland Jupiter 8
Roland A-30
Alesis QSR
Krome7370

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI,

I have a similar same problem, but it is more of a static sound when turning up or down the volume. I use new Mogami cables. I think it could have something to do with the volume pot getting dirty, causing the static. But If you are hearing really heavy distortion it might be bad cables or maybe something else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: