Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DX7 Piano Sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: DX7 Piano Sound Reply with quote

Has anyone found a sound that is close to the Classic Dx7 piano sound used in a lot of 80s tracks ?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working on one but it is not finished yet.

FM sounds are kinda tricky to emulate without FM. Roland had one on the Juno-D that was really good but I no longer have that synth. I'd have to check my Roland RS-5 and see if they have something like what was on the Juno-D.

The trick, in my opinion, is to use a bit of resonance to get that FM type sound to it. I will keep you up to date when it is finished, if I get the results I like.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a set of 4 EPs and the first one is similar to a DX7.
Demo:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15didLDaQzvc4_62slBYwetNdf4aMp-BC/view?usp=sharing
Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c8GM_aMH4zvKSWxgjPe4xEZ1Z9qiIOfS/view?usp=sharing
I made these sounds from factory samples so there is no Ram usage in this set.
(They are included in latest versions of my sampled Yamaha so there is no reason to load if you already have this).
Cheers,
John
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: DX7 Piano Sound Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
Has anyone found a sound that is close to the Classic Dx7 piano sound used in a lot of 80s tracks ?

Are you talking about the really bright digital-sounding EPs - the ones that sound crystal clear? That is what I am working on, I put a couple of hours into a sound earlier this evening before getting sidetracked with programming some more MIDI sequences to play over the top of...

If you are talking about the more Rhodesy type sounds, then there are lots of options already. I had something in mind that was more sparkly, myself. There is a video on Youtube that came to mind of a person testing a Yamaha TX816, module by module - adding another module on top of another, until he had all running. That was the sparkly sound that came to mind after reading your query. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzwvd8aZUUU

I have something that I am working on right now that uses 2 Oscillators and resonance. The tricky part is getting the filter to act just right with the sound to give it the 'slap' when you hit it really hard. The FM EP samples that Korg has in the PA700 are very dull and frankly sound more like a Roland EP than anything (think of the Digital Rhodes or DigiRhodes patches on the JV series).

I will listen to it again in the morning and see if I need additional mods to my sound. I am not sure how to save one sound to a file, so any instruction would be helpful.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on the FM sounding EP today and it now uses 3 oscillators.

I compared it to the sound of the rack of TZ816 sound in the video. The first part of the video features just one TF module in use. I did not pattern it after that. I patterned it probably to be the sound of two or more TF modules as in the video.

I rather like the sound, but want to listen to it tomorrow between performances to make sure it still sounds the same to my ears. It has a bit of resonance to it as well and it sounds believable - at least to my ears.

I have been playing it solo without any additional sound layers. It does sound great with a layer as well.

Like I said, I will listen to it more tomorrow and see if it is worth actually sending out for others to use/hear.

Grace,
Harry
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another update:

I have decided to somewhat follow the pattern from the video and make multiple programs for the DX EP based on increased oscillators.

In the video for the TZ816, the user played a small riff and turned on each Yamaha TF module, one by one, until all 8 were activated. I basically created different programs following that model.

The first program is based on 1 oscillator.
The second program is based on two oscillators. They are the same sample but detuned.
The third program is based on 3 oscillators but instead of two identical oscillators being detuned, I use one oscillator for the EP sound and use two other oscillators for other parts of the sound.
The fourth program is based on program three but I added another identical oscillator to the EP one and detuned them.
The fifth program is based on 6 oscillators and features everything above, but has 4 EP sounds detuned to various degrees.
The sixth program has 8 oscillators and is like the fifth program but with 6 detuned EP sounds. The last two oscillators have a slower attack because it was too percussive to have them all trigger together.

The EFX for this program consists of a simple Reverb and Stereo Chorus.

If I find that my explanation above is not correct, I will adjust it and remove this disclaimer after hooking up the board and checking them out again.

The Decay on this program is identical to a piano sound so you may need to layer the program with a pad or strings (or whatever) to have a more sustaining sound.

The program increases is 'sparkliness' as you cycle through the programs of increasing oscillators. It is really neat, at least to my ears.

One of the main things that adds to the effectiveness of this program is the use of resonance. If you think of the Galaxy EP program from Yamaha and the original 'sparkly' EP sound from the DX, you will be able to hear what I did. The resonance adds that part that is missing in synths that do not use FM. It really does add to the realism, at least in my opinion.

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: