Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M1 Legacy - possible to select prog / combi via midi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simeonharris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: M1 Legacy - possible to select prog / combi via midi? Reply with quote

hi there. i'm actually posting this on behalf of the keyboard player in my band.

he's been an M1 user for years and his M1 is now literally falling apart, so we've been looking at the possibility of replacing it (and perhaps his trusty Triton) with software versions running on a mac laptop.

we had some good success using the legacy m1 in Mainstage, set up so that each song has a separate patch in a single concert, but we were hoping we might be able to run the standalone and use it just as he would use the real synth....by selecting M1 presets directly and also selecting Prog and Combi presets and switching between them.

his controller keyboard has a number pad with bank buttons, so selecting presets in any bank shouldn't be a problem (i'm guessing here...we haven't tried it yet)....but what's really worrying me, is that i can't find any way to select Prog or Combi via midi. i have a feeling it can be done via sysex messages, but that then begs the question how we're going to turn pc or cc messages that his controller keyboard puts out into sysex messages.

can anybody help with this?

many thanks in advance!

sim
engineerjoel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only work-around to NOT having to switch manually between PROG & COMBI is to run 2 different instances of M1. Assign one M1 to only play PROGRAMS and the other M1 to play only COMBI's. NOTE: Make sure that the M1 that plays the PROG's is set to receive on a Midi Channel ">1". But keep the midi channel on M1 that plays the COMBI's set to default of "1".

If you have a master keyboard controller that can transmit on two different midi channels at the same time (such as a Yamaha KX-76/88; Roland MKB 200/300/1000 or Roland A-800 Pro or other...), then you can choose to play the M1 PROG or M1 COMBI....or both at the same time.
EdK

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello..

Just saw your posting. Maybe you have already solved your problem but in case you haven't....there is a way to change from PROG to COMBI mode via SYSEX commands.

For the M1-

F0 42 3x 19 4E 02 00 F7 Change to prog mode
F0 42 3x 19 4E 00 00 F7 Change to combi mode

F0 indicates the start of the sysex command
42 indicates the manufacturer (Korg)
3x inidcates the global channel number (0=channel 1, 1=channel 2, etc)
19 indicates the model of the keyboard (M1 in this case)
4E change mode command follows in next byte
02 or 00 indicates the mode (02=prog 00=combi)
00 not used but must be there
F7 indicates the end of the sysex command

Following the sysex command you can enter the normal cc midi commands to select the patch number.

NOTE: the global channel on the M1 must match the channel number you are using in the sysex command

Hope this helps.

I send sysex and midi commands to change patches on my M1 and Triton from my iPad using an app called Unrealbook where I keep my charts. I simply pull up a chart and at the same time the appropriate sysex/midi commands are sent to my keyboards.

Ed
bencrossman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am trying to do the same. You have the correct Sysex there but unfortunately the Korg Legacy Collection M1 doesn't seem to respond to any sysex message sent via MIDI.

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: